Author Topic: Experiences of Teh Plague  (Read 85121 times)

Re: Experiences of Teh Plague
« Reply #25 on: 17 January, 2021, 09:10:15 pm »
Well, Mrs Ham's third test on Saturday was negative, too.

Looking into the history, Mrs Ham only went for her test more than a week from the onset of symptoms. That opens the possibility that she had Covid (from the little'un?), recovered (apparently the cough can continue for weeks) and I contracted it from her.

Mebbe. Who knows?

« Reply #26 on: 17 January, 2021, 09:24:56 pm »
Little miss hatler (17) had a positive test back in November. Three days of feeling crap and then taste and smell disappeared, all back to normal about a week later. She was in the house with us and neither of us had any symptoms.

Mrs h had the dry tickly cough, a fever and loss of smell in about August, but the PCR test came back negative. Cough continued for the best part of a month and she now has tinnitus (which is apparently one of the things associated with long-covid).
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #27 on: 23 January, 2021, 01:45:37 pm »
One of our carers has just tested positive  :demon:

Came to work on Thursday, with a dicky tummy, said he was feeling hot, and had more bowel issues while here.  He was summarily sent home with one of our test kits - which came back positive this morning.  No cough, no loss of sense of taste or smell

PHE have basically said that becasue we are essentially a one-person care home, the carers can carry on coming to work, but isolate within this as a bubble, and none of us can go out into the world, so my ride today is my last for ten days.

So now we are all sat in facemasks in the house, until we get the test kits we've ordered, and everything else the offender had touched has been thoroughly sanitised.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #28 on: 23 January, 2021, 03:44:17 pm »
So sorry Dave, that must be super stressful and frightening for you with your Son. Keeping fingers crossed for you all!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 23 January, 2021, 04:34:07 pm »
Annoying. Could they not have let you know they were feeling a bit off before they turned up?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

« Reply #30 on: 23 January, 2021, 04:47:45 pm »
Exactly, even if not COVID, a D&V bug would be bad news. We have a protocol in place for that reason. 

Chris S

« Reply #31 on: 23 January, 2021, 04:54:35 pm »
Exactly, even if not COVID, a D&V bug would be bad news. We have a protocol in place for that reason.

Jeez. Surely if you're a carer and you wake up feeling crook, the LAST thing you do is go to work? Isn't this the same for anyone whose job brings them close to folks who may be vulnerable or need to take extra care?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 23 January, 2021, 05:01:37 pm »

Jeez. Surely if you're a carer and you wake up feeling crook, the LAST thing you do is go to work? Isn't this the same for anyone whose job brings them close to folks who may be vulnerable or need to take extra care?

It's for this reason that a proper package of care for those suffering from Covid needs to be instated. Well, not just Covid, any bloody disease. Low-paid workers are still going to go to work if the alternative means they can't buy food.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #33 on: 23 January, 2021, 05:03:52 pm »

It's for this reason that a proper package of care for those suffering from Covid needs to be instated. Well, not just Covid, any bloody disease. Low-paid workers are still going to go to work if the alternative means they can't buy food.

Hmm... Unlikely with this colour government, for whom "safety net" only has meaning if the word "bank" is involved.

ElyDave

« Reply #34 on: 23 January, 2021, 05:38:32 pm »

Please don't bring your politics into this, we have a direct payments package and we select and pay our carers directly, and far better pay than they would get through an agency

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #35 on: 23 January, 2021, 07:45:23 pm »
Some people I know have put in extra sick pay arrangements during Covid to try and avoid people turning up while sick or at risk, but not everyone can suck up that cost in their package as it takes a fair bit of knowledge and energy to fight for a good package.

Dave, I'm sorry in spite of better T&Cs than usual and a protocol that this carer still turned up while feeling unwell and didn't phone you in advance to discuss options. That is unconscionable given the risk it puts your son at.

ElyDave

« Reply #36 on: 26 January, 2021, 08:39:47 pm »
5 out of 7 tests come back negative so far, just daughter and one carer to go.

Every little sniffle or cough has you utterly paranoid while you are waiting.

ian

« Reply #37 on: 26 January, 2021, 08:59:15 pm »
I have had a single blocked nostril all day. I hope that's not a symptom. I am a bit paranoid, our cleaner turned up Monday (surprise!) – my bad, I'd sort of assumed that wasn't a thing but didn't specifically cancel it, but apparently it is still a thing – and she's from the plaguey bits of northern Kent. It's my left nostril if that means anything.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 26 January, 2021, 11:55:39 pm »
You're probably okay.  Right nostril means you're a homosexual, obviously.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #39 on: 27 January, 2021, 12:08:42 am »

Rights tough lefts puff, or is that for ear piercings?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #40 on: 27 January, 2021, 12:11:15 am »
I had no covid symptoms, bar a temperature.  Wet cough, and that was a chest infection.

So I'm going with no symptoms as such and very lucky as it could be much worse.

ian

« Reply #41 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:21:35 am »

It mostly seems gone today. Still, at least for a day, I was all man.

ElyDave

« Reply #42 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:34:24 pm »
Daughter negative,  :thumbsup:

Lateral flow tests oorganised for the whole team.

Utter, utter, fucking shite that we need to do this

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #43 on: 27 January, 2021, 10:54:15 pm »

Rights tough lefts puff, or is that for ear piercings?

Oh no, no....   right ear = queer.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #44 on: 28 January, 2021, 12:14:58 am »
Right/left, which one is which? I can never get it right.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #45 on: 28 January, 2021, 08:33:08 am »
A good friend of mine, living in Belgium, had Coronavirus. 40s,cyclist, fit and regularly training. He regularly got around big Alpine rides .
He’s now awaiting Heart surgery to deal with Coronavirus damage. He’s a medical science professional, and is obviously taking a big interest in “ long Covid” - and reports that there is a growing body of evidence about how widespread and serious this is.

« Reply #46 on: 28 January, 2021, 08:49:16 am »
Also there is an increasing number of recovered patients with significant lung damage from the CPAP.  Again probably that there was little evidence base for prior to the epidemic.  Likely to give lifelong problems.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #47 on: 28 January, 2021, 12:57:34 pm »
I was 'well crook' early December. Went out for a ride, first thing, didn't feel right, limped home with chronic stomach ache, and had a cup of tea. Started shaking uncontrollably, with chills, went to bed about midday. Skin was prickly and sore, couldn't stop shaking in bed, for may be 3 hours, then Mrs  Pig brought me a hot Ribena, and I could feel it working its way through my body. 5 mins later warm as toast, 5 mins later was soaking wet and running with sweat with a v.high temp.  I had Chills, fever, nausea,stomach ache, headache, complete exhaustion, lethargy, just slept and sweated. Woke in the night to get a towel to lay on, bed was wet.  Next morning , Tues, Mrs Pig took me to a pre booked test,  (she had booked at 9am , test was for 1.30pm), did the thing, back home to bed, more of the same. 6.05am Wed PING.....NHS.......NEGATIVE?????   :facepalm:
In all I spent almost a week in bed, and found it very difficult to walk up stairs after. Still short of breath now, find I try and avoid hills on my ride.
If it wasn't....you know....that thing, I have no idea what it was.  Mrs Pig was fine.  I thought swab tests were 100% accurate.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #48 on: 28 January, 2021, 01:02:43 pm »
I don't think any tests are 100% accurate.

Whatever it is, GWS!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #49 on: 28 January, 2021, 02:41:05 pm »
I was 'well crook' early December. Went out for a ride, first thing, didn't feel right, limped home with chronic stomach ache, and had a cup of tea. Started shaking uncontrollably, with chills, went to bed about midday. Skin was prickly and sore, couldn't stop shaking in bed, for may be 3 hours, then Mrs  Pig brought me a hot Ribena, and I could feel it working its way through my body. 5 mins later warm as toast, 5 mins later was soaking wet and running with sweat with a v.high temp.  I had Chills, fever, nausea,stomach ache, headache, complete exhaustion, lethargy, just slept and sweated. Woke in the night to get a towel to lay on, bed was wet.  Next morning , Tues, Mrs Pig took me to a pre booked test,  (she had booked at 9am , test was for 1.30pm), did the thing, back home to bed, more of the same. 6.05am Wed PING.....NHS.......NEGATIVE?????   :facepalm:
In all I spent almost a week in bed, and found it very difficult to walk up stairs after. Still short of breath now, find I try and avoid hills on my ride.
If it wasn't....you know....that thing, I have no idea what it was.  Mrs Pig was fine.  I thought swab tests were 100% accurate.
they have a 29% false negative rate.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/are-the-new-covid-19-swab-tests-accurate-should-you-get-one-do-they-hurt-and-other-questions-answered
<i>Marmite slave</i>