Author Topic: GCN  (Read 5576 times)

GCN
« on: 15 February, 2021, 08:28:19 pm »
This made me happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT_tpJlKkJs

During summer (daylight saving) time one can go round on a Tuesday evening until you get tired. My time isn't as good as either of those, but I'm not a racing snake, and nor do I have an epic fast bike.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: GCN
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2021, 08:45:33 pm »
Yes, I was pleased they avoided the "difficult to ride" trope this time, and did a more meaningful comparison.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2021, 11:26:00 am »
Somewhat Hammond and Clarkson (up to you who's who) but with cheezier acting. Anyway, reminds me there will presumably be no Castle Combe memorial this year.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2021, 11:52:58 am »
Yes, I was pleased they avoided the "difficult to ride" trope this time, and did a more meaningful comparison.

I'd have been more impressed if they did DF, unfaired 'bent, velomobile, but it was very telling with the numbers at the end, 100W lower on average for a ten second gain
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2021, 12:02:38 pm »

I'd have been more impressed if they did DF, unfaired 'bent, velomobile, but it was very telling with the numbers at the end, 100W lower on average for a ten second gain

That's more or less what they tried to do in their previous recumbent videos, but got bogged down in their inability to ride one.  As I said at the time, it's like expecting someone who learned to ride a bicycle in the morning trying to do a nuanced comparison between a road bike and a time trial bike in the afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIsa0L5UNgs  (Contains Barney or traces of Barney, and numerous technical inaccuracies.  Bonus points for spotting me.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD53YiygVhA (Contains apples and oranges.)

I reckon this latest one was a step in the right direction - keep things simple, and actually compare the power required.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 16 February, 2021, 01:46:17 pm »
the hills one made me larf  :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2021, 06:15:21 pm »
The one I'd love to see would be one rider do a full body workup on five different types of bike.
Road, sit up, crank forward, gentle reclined, extreme reclined.
Do a 5-10 mins test on each type and find out exactly how altering your position alters thing like power out, oxygen in, lactic acid and heart rate.

Luck ..........  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2021, 07:02:40 pm »

You give her less credit. She was 14 seconds faster.

« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2021, 12:18:04 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIsa0L5UNgs  (Contains Barney or traces of Barney, and numerous technical inaccuracies.  Bonus points for spotting me.)
Whenever he got on the trike I worried that he wasn't clipped in.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 17 February, 2021, 12:43:55 am »
Whenever he got on the trike I worried that he wasn't clipped in.

Yeah, that always makes me nervous, though I've done it myself from time to time for a few hundred metres to test a recent fettle or whatever.

Pains me to see the junior pedal car riders (who are mostly using inappropriately long 170mm cranks, for added leg-flappiness) have neither foot retention nor a floor, even though they're not really going fast enough to do anything nasty.  (This was demonstrated at Darley Moor last year, where one of them managed to bring the car to an abrupt stop due to foot entanglement, was completely uninjured, and then suffered a nasty grazed elbow doing a CrinklyLion on the edge of the track.)  Might ask around to see if any BHPC regulars have some old pedals with toeclips and straps that could be donated by way of a performance / safety upgrade...

« Reply #10 on: 17 February, 2021, 12:36:06 pm »
I'll check my spares box.

« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2021, 05:04:33 pm »
Apparently this Saturday will be a rerun, but against a TT bike with a fast(ish) rider.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 18 February, 2021, 05:37:34 pm »
I hope she learns to take a wider line in corners to keep three wheels on the blacktop this time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 19 February, 2021, 09:01:27 pm »
If Something's Going On at Caslte Coombe, I might even head over with my recumbent, it's within range after all. But I probably need better intel (twitter? FB? ...?) on timing and openness to gawpers.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #14 on: 19 February, 2021, 11:30:47 pm »
It'll already have been filmed; they are releasing it on YouTube on Saturday.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 20 February, 2021, 02:02:08 am »
In other news, Gary Solomon's outfit are doing a feature on the hist. of the BHPC* in next month’s Laidback Bike Report.  I might be involved in my capacity as Surviving Founder Member Who Does SCIENCE.  This may be a bit of a slur against long-time Treasurer Dennis Adcock, but the only other one of us who’s still a member is Mike Burrows, who still writes his cheques with a goose quill.

* which hav a very interesting history if you are interested in hist. which few boys are
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16 on: 20 February, 2021, 10:50:55 am »
^ link when it’s up?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 20 February, 2021, 11:28:21 am »
Presumably it'll appear here: https://www.youtube.com/garysolo1/videos

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 21 February, 2021, 10:13:27 am »

The Velo vs Aero bike video is up.

Just had a watch.

(click to show/hide)

An interesting video

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #19 on: 21 February, 2021, 10:22:39 am »
(click to show/hide)
Now, when will they race their TT bike against a ratracer?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 21 February, 2021, 10:24:58 am »
(click to show/hide)
Now, when will they race their TT bike against a ratracer?

Ooh, I'd love to see Si on the aero bike take part in an ally cat...

Ok that's making me giggle just thinking of it...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #21 on: 21 February, 2021, 12:27:09 pm »
Good video, they are upping their game in the cinematography too. Very Top Gear style (in a good way). GCN are getting better at this kind of thing, or the bigger challenges, some of their "top tips for..." shorter efforts are still cringeworthy.

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 21 February, 2021, 12:34:33 pm »
The Velo vs Aero bike video is up.

Just had a watch.
(click to show/hide)

She was bobbing up and down in a way that suggests her crank adjustment, crank length or pedalling technique could do with some work.  (Possibly the classic upwrong-rider error of pulling on the handlebars rather than pushing into the seat, which really doesn't work with a tiller.  It's what you tend to slip into when the cranks are too far away.)  And of course there's no substitute for practice when it comes to corners.  The Milan is surprisingly good at cornering, but multi-track is still a completely different animal to a bicycle in this department.

I note that unlike the others she was correctly referring to it as a velomobile, and appeared to have evidence of the recumbent grin.  Do we have a convert?

Film-wise, they did a decent effort of making the velomobile look like it was going fast, which is surprisingly hard to do as they don't lean into corners and you can't see much of the rider.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 21 February, 2021, 01:03:06 pm »
Easiest would be for them to bring a range of df rides to a bhpc race and see how they do.

« Reply #24 on: 21 February, 2021, 08:55:37 pm »
She was 3 seconds faster than previous video. Give it another week and she’ll be level with him 😀