Author Topic: AUK post-2021 lockdown?  (Read 12897 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: AUK post-2021 lockdown?
« Reply #50 on: 13 June, 2021, 08:03:26 pm »
We have been keeping this page up to date and it has the current limits on calendar event fields. If no limit is given that is because the restriction has now been lifted. What is doesn't have is information on start group size, but I understand that is being made available to organisers.
Of course currently some organisers may wish to only have a smaller number of entrants than normal.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #51 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:57:01 pm »
Thanks. That's useful.

So if the government gives the go ahead tomorrow with the end of restrictions I'll be ok to re-open The Way to the Sea 200 (3 July) to extra riders :thumbsup:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #52 on: 14 June, 2021, 05:31:45 pm »
Hmm, I guess, a discussion now needs to happen on whether allowing longer calendar events is also delayed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 14 June, 2021, 06:50:10 pm »
Hmm, I guess, a discussion now needs to happen on whether allowing longer calendar events is also delayed.
Could someone recap which of the current restrictions is stopping us?
(We can travel, stay in hotels, and do sport in groups of 30. I think. That may be ENG only, apologies if so ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #54 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:09:18 pm »
Wow I hadn't even realised that calendar events were limited anything less than 600 just now in ENG.

Ive made travel & accommodation plans for the Asparagus & Strawberries 400km on 17/18 July with an option to ECE it into a 600.

Guess that I’ll be looking at a solo DIY 400 or 600 now.  No hardship. 

« Reply #55 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:15:51 pm »
Yeah, we (the organisers) all punted them ahead of 21st June cos it looked as though it wouldn't be possible for them to go ahead any earlier.

You can ride a perm 400 or 600 south of the wall now, so your ECE should be fine.

And I'm still planning my x-rated 400 and 600 on the 17th July. Small fields, no organised overnight control, and all the controls can cope with a couple of dozen more folk popping in over the course of hours.

Just needs the board to confirm it now (there's an update on the AUK forum).

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #56 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:19:33 pm »
IMPORTANT — well, at least significant  ::-)

There's a thread on the AUK forum (AUK members only) where the Secretary says that the reasons for limiting calendar distances in England no longer exist in quite the same way as they did, and so 400s and 600s are to be allowed going forwards, caveat the organiser must do an appropriate risk assessment — not just the paperwork, but actually assess whether it's feasible to run their longer events, taking into consideration the capacity for shops and cafés to cope with an influx of xx riders at a time.  I.e. it will be up to the organiser, in consultation with their local events delegate, to decide the most appropriate course of action or limitation.

(this is probably the note that Deano referred to?)

TBH it all seems very sensible and straightforward and I suspect most events will go ahead, but some may be limited in numbers.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #57 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:23:07 pm »
Ive made travel & accommodation plans for the Asparagus & Strawberries 400km on 17/18 July with an option to ECE it into a 600.

I live close enough to ECE A&S from home and also plan on it being my Essex 600 this year.  My understanding is that it is still going ahead (but don't quote me).

Fortuitously, the route passes within 50m of my front door at sleep o'clock  ;D

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #58 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:26:02 pm »
Thanks. That's useful.

So if the government gives the go ahead tomorrow with the end of restrictions I'll be ok to re-open The Way to the Sea 200 (3 July) to extra riders :thumbsup:

Adam, all you need to do is nominate a Covid Safety Officer (CSO) on your Covid RA and you can have as many riders as you want.  You would still have to consider whether all the control stops could cope with that number, but that means you're no longer limited to 30.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:11:09 am »
IMPORTANT — well, at least significant  ::-)

There's a thread on the AUK forum (AUK members only) where the Secretary says that the reasons for limiting calendar distances in England no longer exist in quite the same way as they did, and so 400s and 600s are to be allowed going forwards, caveat the organiser must do an appropriate risk assessment — not just the paperwork, but actually assess whether it's feasible to run their longer events, taking into consideration the capacity for shops and cafés to cope with an influx of xx riders at a time.  I.e. it will be up to the organiser, in consultation with their local events delegate, to decide the most appropriate course of action or limitation.

(this is probably the note that Deano referred to?)

TBH it all seems very sensible and straightforward and I suspect most events will go ahead, but some may be limited in numbers.
Thanks Nick.

(Wouldn't it be simpler if they just said "Carry On, but please don't break any laws" ? Oh well ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #60 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:28:48 am »
Yup, that's the one I spotted, Nick. It does imply that we could have been running 400s and 600s under current restrictions, and I had been wondering why group perms could go ahead but not calendar events.

Ah well, it was all very uncertain at the time. And I should have a little bit of space in my events if anyone fancies some northern hills.

« Reply #61 on: 15 June, 2021, 11:50:47 am »
Hi everyone. I had just entered the Asparagus and Strawberries 400 too. Am I correct in thinking that with the delay to lockdown easing, it's now unlikely to go ahead?

« Reply #62 on: 15 June, 2021, 12:31:20 pm »
Awaiting official announcement from board. 

There’s some general discussion in forum from audax uk secretary and his thoughts.  Which is encouraging. But he is just one member of board. Nothing official yet.

Fingers crossed and all that.

« Reply #63 on: 15 June, 2021, 12:58:30 pm »
Thank you. Must be very frustrating for organisers. Looks like I'll be getting my head around doing a perm or two.

« Reply #64 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:49:17 pm »
Hi everyone. I had just entered the Asparagus and Strawberries 400 too. Am I correct in thinking that with the delay to lockdown easing, it's now unlikely to go ahead?

You'll be able to ride it.  Announcement tomorrow or possibly later today.

« Reply #65 on: 16 June, 2021, 08:10:53 am »

You'll be able to ride it.  Announcement tomorrow or possibly later today.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #66 on: 16 June, 2021, 03:13:30 pm »
Latest update now on audax uk Covid page

« Reply #67 on: 16 June, 2021, 03:54:04 pm »
https://audax.uk/static-data/covid-restrictions
I read it as  'Situation near new normal'

« Reply #68 on: 11 October, 2021, 11:20:36 am »
Is everyone starting at the same time a thing yet?

« Reply #69 on: 11 October, 2021, 12:35:58 pm »

There is not any consistency across events as far as I understand.  At my audaxes, it is staggered starts for hall based events and group starts on x-rated.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #70 on: 12 October, 2021, 04:44:54 pm »

There is not any consistency across events as far as I understand.  At my audaxes, it is staggered starts for hall based events and group starts on x-rated.

Last year for Upper Thames I had set up a complex system to dispatch smallish batches of riders at 10 minute intervals. In the event we had to cancel. This year I am not following that plan. Instead I'm making it clear that riders can depart whenever they are ready over a one-hour window. The ride duration will be based on the actual departure time (a bar-code on the card being read on departure and arrival). However, the intermediate control times will not be changed, so there is no point faster riders departing early, or slower riders departing late.