Author Topic: Handlebar/Knee interface issues  (Read 2422 times)

Handlebar/Knee interface issues
« on: 28 March, 2021, 11:40:46 pm »
So, on the SPM I got a replacement tiller (courtesy otp) which allowed me to fit different bars (courtesy otp) which are more comfortable than the bar/stem combo I had (which I am sure are better for racing, but tilt your wrists down instead of up). 
New setup is better ergonomically on the wrists and the arms are (I think) more neutral in position.
Unfortunately the new stem has a max extension of about a cm less than I would like with those bars, which gives them some knee interface.  I have swapped out for some north road bars, fitted mustache style that curve over the knee.  It's functional, but the aesthetic is all wrong (which is obviously the key think with  laidback ...) and the wider bar position means that I might as well have superman bars (it could be me, but it also feels twichier).
What solutions do I have?  I could try yet another bar type, go full on superman, drop crank length by a few cms which should then mean I can extend the boom by a couple cm and reduce knee bash ... anything else spring to mind?  Which would be the cheapest option (seeing as I need to keep my kids in bikes too)?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Handlebar/Knee interface issues
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:18:24 am »
Pictures would help 🙂.

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2021, 09:39:01 pm »
They could ... I guess ... if I could manage to take a photo while balancing on the bike with one knee up...

This is the current setup (north road - a bit too wide - bars)

Previous setup (best bars, but stem just a little short and I get some knee interface)

Original setup with no knee/bar and narrow bars - but the wrist angle is wrong

Possibly the cheapest thing would be a cut down flat bar and see what it's like for wrist position.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2021, 09:52:01 pm »
Something like https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/clarence-bar gives more room for your knees near the stem.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2021, 10:29:17 pm »
Can you not take the bars out and flip them over, so they are a bit like superman bars?

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2021, 11:02:05 pm »
That's pretty much what I have.  I think it's just the width is a bit more than I'm used to. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2021, 12:36:57 am »
Your top picture appears to be pretty much identical to my Speedmachine, save that mine's got a pair of MTB bar-ends inboard of the gear shifters to encourage elbows-in riding.

IMG_0849 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

5041543 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2021, 09:29:00 am »
That puts me in good/questionable company.  how wide were your bars?  Up until this change I have only used narrow bars with tiller, which may be why it's weirding me out.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2021, 10:31:47 am »
I'll measure 'em when I go to put the washing in the machine later.  Watch this space ==>

Edit: ~540 mm
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2021, 03:13:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Edit, as I thought, wider than mine which are about 600mm.

« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2021, 04:13:28 pm »
On my bike, I fabricated a handlebar using an old MTB flat bar, and some sections cut from another old flat bar, connected together using the clamps from a pair of Decathlon adjustable bar ends: here

Difficult to describe, but visible in the photos here: https://www.strava.com/activities/4303145559
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2021, 03:07:34 pm »
Hmmmm, might fancy trying superman bars ...