Author Topic: Today's scam...  (Read 16211 times)

Re: Today's scam...
« Reply #100 on: 24 May, 2021, 08:39:50 pm »
New one for me  ;D    incoming email:-

I can't imagine it really is a unique reference number in the subject, but I've redacted it anyway.

To:     nuttycyclist's email address
       Subject: GOV.UK - Reference: <redacted>/C31CTR-Number: <redacted> - COUNCILTAXGOVUK- Message on 24-May-2021 13:57:11 BST - Your GOV.UK important order <redacted> has been dispatched

No email body (I have my client set to plain text for this reason).   On opening and reading the html attachment it appears that my house is in a new council tax band and as I have a low income I can claim a council tax reduction if I go to a strange URL which I'm not going to paste here for obvious reasons.

« Reply #101 on: 25 May, 2021, 05:31:26 pm »
Phone call. Real person, with a very 'African' accent. Might have been based in this country though. 07xxx type number.
Apparently I signed up for some on-line investment thing, about a year ago which is why I'd forgotten about it. It's not a scam because they are covered by the FSA.

Hmm, I think it is a scam you know...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #102 on: 25 May, 2021, 05:40:26 pm »
There's is 'a tax fraud against my name.' Not, I think you are trying to reach Donald Trump, I tell them.

Only bloody answered the thing because I was expecting another call.

« Reply #103 on: 25 May, 2021, 05:56:57 pm »
What percentage of the population would be as critical of grammatical errors?*

*Nice work!
Grammarly found no errors in your text. Install Grammarly’s app to make sure your writing is mistake-free on other websites.

I don't know, I was lucky that it happened to be obvious to me. I didn't mean it to sound elitist or patronising.

It didn't - not to me, anyway.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #104 on: 25 May, 2021, 11:21:56 pm »
Colleague had an email today, allegedly from teh Boss. Wording looked kosher, asking for some invoice and debtor details. Except it came from a fastmail.com address and poking around the headers showed a Reply to address was a completely different address at supersave.net

Somewhat targetted I think.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #105 on: 26 May, 2021, 05:46:36 am »
Phone call. Real person, with a very 'African' accent. Might have been based in this country though. 07xxx type number.
Apparently I signed up for some on-line investment thing, about a year ago which is why I'd forgotten about it. It's not a scam because they are covered by the FSA.

Hmm, I think it is a scam you know...
Did they say FSA? Must still be using an old script!  They changed to FCA in 2013.  You could have scammed him to buy a new wording to use.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #106 on: 31 May, 2021, 01:50:21 pm »
Call from "TalkTalk Engineer" - didn't twig that it was a scam at first.  I was confused because they knew the mob number of the billpayer - but then picked up on stuff (could you win+r some programs for us please sir?).

On the plus side a talk with Customer Service and password reset later my bill has gone down by £4 a month, Broadband speed has gone up and I have enabled some tighter security settings.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #107 on: 31 May, 2021, 05:32:15 pm »
Letter today. handwritten envelope addressed to "The Occupier" and with an actual stamp on it.

From the Jehovah's Witnesses :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #108 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:20:19 pm »
Well, if they're going to that effort it would be rude not to invite them in.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #109 on: 01 June, 2021, 06:58:22 am »
Letter today. handwritten envelope addressed to "The Occupier" and with an actual stamp on it.

From the Jehovah's Witnesses :o
We've had similar.
Our next-door-but-one neighbours are JWs and perfectly pleasant people who we get on with on a nodding and 'do you want some more rhubarb?' basis, sent hand written notes to all the houses in our cul-de-sac a while back, saying (I précis) 'We're Tom & Marj, and we're JWs, if you want to know more about our beliefs just ask'.
I wonder if it's a new policy as door knocking has passed its usefulness (if it ever had a use outside of USAnia).
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #110 on: 01 June, 2021, 07:21:19 am »
A friend of ours gets these.  He is a methodist and made the mistake of having a doorstep chat with them.  They started during lockdown.   

« Reply #111 on: 01 June, 2021, 07:50:58 am »
I thought that JWs had to spend a certain amount of time recruiting spreading the good word of the Lord, which is why they do the door knocking. Moving to letter writing for their mandated weekly hours would make sense in a CV world.

« Reply #112 on: 07 June, 2021, 02:57:40 pm »
New one...   'your compromised National Insurance number'  yadda yadda 'Northern border of Wales' ,  'Press 1 before we take legal action.'

Anyone had this?  miniao had it the other day.   This one is different as one to my android phone, rather than land line.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #113 on: 07 June, 2021, 04:13:07 pm »
All of my scam calls have been on my landline. Hardly anyone calls me on my landline.
I ignore all landline calls. If it's a genuine call and someone wants to make contacet with
me, they'll find a way.

« Reply #114 on: 07 June, 2021, 04:21:19 pm »
All of my scam calls have been on my landline. Hardly anyone calls me on my landline.
I ignore all landline calls. If it's a genuine call and someone wants to make contacet with
me, they'll find a way.

The why bother with a phone connected to it?  Have one in the cupboard for emergency backup.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #115 on: 07 June, 2021, 05:33:36 pm »
New one...   'your compromised National Insurance number'  yadda yadda 'Northern border of Wales' ,  'Press 1 before we take legal action.'

Anyone had this?  miniao had it the other day.   This one is different as one to my android phone, rather than land line.
Yup. Had that two or three times now. I treat it with sincerity and ask some pertinent questions. "Ooo, that sounds serious. What would you do ?" etc etc
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #116 on: 07 June, 2021, 06:30:16 pm »
The why bother with a phone connected to it?  Have one in the cupboard for emergency backup.

Same story here. I move house a few months ago and whilst I still have to pay land line rental to get broadband (which grates but that's another story) I don't have a telephone plugged into the wall socket. I just don't see the point nowadays.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #117 on: 09 June, 2021, 11:36:01 am »
Two calls to my mobile in two hours this morning from Her Majesty(sic) Revenue and Customs. One showing as a landline, the other as a mobile.
Rather annoying as I was expecting a call and so hung on to answer.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #118 on: 31 August, 2021, 06:03:18 pm »
The Scam-o-Tron 5000 phoned twice this pm claiming to be from “Bank Security Department” and that I'd spent money on my “card” to previously-uncustomerisated companies.  Including Amazon.  Alarm bells rung by no name being given for the bank and no mention of whether it was a credit or debit card.

>>> CLICK <<<
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #119 on: 19 February, 2022, 03:38:36 pm »
'Phoning about a life insurance review - you haven't had a review for 2 yrs' 
Yes OK - for which policy?
'erm, so you're asking for which policy, erm, hello are you still there?'
Yes.
<Line goes dead.

« Reply #120 on: 14 March, 2022, 11:52:16 am »
Call with background noise which sounds like a busy indoor market.
You've over paid on your washing machine purchase, we want to refund you.
Can you verify name and address? <old street address> No not correct. <old postcode> No not correct.
Hangs up.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #121 on: 16 March, 2022, 06:01:16 pm »
Music in the background

Hello this is Heather, how are you?
- Sorry, where are you from?
I'm calling about crypto, are you familiar with crypto currencies?
- Yes I have some
Oh, now are you doing?
- I'm a millionaire
Click Brrrr
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #122 on: 16 March, 2022, 06:03:35 pm »
Jaded, we need to talk...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #123 on: 16 March, 2022, 06:07:43 pm »
 ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #124 on: 11 July, 2022, 09:32:36 pm »
Apparently I've been exposed to Omicron and am required to get a test from some random non NHS domain.
I may well have been, but I'm pretty sure the sender is even less legit than Dido Harding.