Author Topic: Shower mixer cartridge - replacement  (Read 907 times)

Shower mixer cartridge - replacement
« on: 15 April, 2021, 03:52:43 pm »
You lot seem quite knowledgeable. I have a Grohe shower, which is a horizontal chrome bar about a foot wide. It uses a mechanical cartridge to mix hot and cold water. Over 20 years it now is running very cold and I am sure there is a good supply of hot water.
Looks like a cartridge replacement is called for. Looking on Youtube, this does not seem a difficult job (*)
How to identify the correct cartridge? I guess take it out and look for a part number?

(*) Hah. This from the idiot who unscrewed the pressure relief valve to his apartment. And failed to get it back on.

Re: Shower mixer cartridge - replacement
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2021, 04:10:01 pm »
Unless you have the exact model number of the shower which should let you find the cartridge model number yes you will need to dismantle it to see what cartridge it is I am afraid. You might ven have to take it to a plumbers factors to identify it if there is no obvious model number.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2021, 04:44:33 pm »
I've always just bought a new mixer unit, the price difference between the two making it more viable to do so rather than faff around trying to get the old cart out.
Regards,

Joergen

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2021, 05:10:52 pm »
Try Shower Doctor.  They have most stuff.  I got a couple of filters for my Mira Agile* from them.

*runs happily off a mere 3ft head and has never dripped
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2021, 05:35:35 pm »
I'd try CP Hart at Waterloo.
They're a Hans Grohe distributor.
I recon if you were to take a photo(s) of your mixer and show it to them, they'd be able to identify the cartridge it needs.

rr

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2021, 11:55:56 pm »
Try Shower Doctor.  They have most stuff.  I got a couple of filters for my Mira Agile* from them.

*runs happily off a mere 3ft head and has never dripped
They are also very good at identifying showers and cartridges.
I find that 10 mins in the ultra sonic cleaner  with a dash of vinegar usually sorts ours out.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk