Author Topic: Old Roads 300 - 2021  (Read 1346 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Old Roads 300 - 2021
« on: 28 April, 2021, 06:51:37 pm »
It's a small field, but I thought I'd see if anyone else is doing this!
(I'm camping for 3 nights, so will be the dishevelled looking one at the start.)

And a question (I'm sure IanH will know the answer):

When I entered this I was expecting a somewhat crunchy AAA event with 3900m climbing. It now seems to have shurnk a bit to 3100-ish. Some googling reveals that the Perm is still 3900. Where has it all gone?

(and no, I shan't be riding bonus hills that someone finds for me! I'm not disappointed, just curious ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Old Roads 300 - 2021
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2021, 02:16:04 pm »
Ian H may answer your 'vanishing climbing' query (but see below). His Permanent notionally starts and finishes at Honiton.
The route is exactly the same as this weekend's Calendar, except that the Saturday start and finish is Cranbrook, 10 miles from Honiton.
In RwGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35865137?beta=false That suggests 3352m climb.
Loading it into OpenRunner  https://www.openrunner.com/r/12959223  that suggests 3773m climb (I've found the latter aligns with Audax UK's assessment of climb and roughly what a Garmin download will suggest.
Two of our Wednesday ride to the pub group will be riding.
Please enjoy the climb up Cothelstone (Quantocks) for me. I think it's the only chevron on the route: 3 single ones on that 160m vertical gain. Brilliant (safe) descent.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Old Roads 300 - 2021
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2021, 08:07:16 am »
Thanks.

(not much clearer :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles