Author Topic: BCM (and other classic brevets) record  (Read 15024 times)

Geriatricdolan

BCM (and other classic brevets) record
« on: 15 April, 2021, 04:28:06 pm »
Firstly a disclaimer: I am aware that Audax is not a race

When I did BCM in 2018, there were rumours of a guy wanting to "beat the record" and then afterwards rumours that another cyclist had beaten the record (24 hours apparently)...

Is there such a thing as a record for the BCM?
Is there any other long brevet which has some sort of "unofficial record"?

Asking for a friend, of course...  ;D

Geriatricdolan

Re: BCM (and other classic brevets) record
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2021, 08:33:50 am »
Nobody knows anything about it?

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2021, 08:45:50 am »

Davef

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:18:43 am »
Poor arithmetic. 600km in 24 hours is 25km/h not 30km/h.

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:35:02 am »
He's allowing for brief stops, hence moving time.

felstedrider

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:52:42 am »
I think, ex 24hr champ, Nik Gardiner has gone round sub 24hrs.   

Davef

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:58:10 am »
if going for sub 24 hours, riding for 20 hours with 4 hours of stops seems tactically unwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2021, 11:05:13 am »
I'd need 4 hours just for the wee stops

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2021, 11:08:38 am »
if going for sub 24 hours, riding for 20 hours with 4 hours of stops seems tactically unwise.

Have you met Toby?

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2021, 11:53:46 am »
Have you tried asking yourself?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=104545.msg2313671#msg2313671

I never improved from that superficial knowledge... still don't know who or when, I just know it was a smidge under 24 hours... would be nice to know if anyone knows more, or if there is some secret society within AUK who keeps track of these things... obviously if your name is not chiselled in a stone somewhere in the centre of Chepstow is not worth bothering, me thinks...  ;D

... always asking for a friend, of course...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2021, 01:19:47 pm »
Bryan Chapman memorial is a BRM, so all times will have been submitted to and recorded by ACP. I know I could see all my brevet times when entering PBP

Whether someone would be inclined to retrieve that information is another matter.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2021, 01:23:21 pm »
Bryan Chapman memorial is a BRM, so all times will have been submitted to and recorded by ACP. I know I could see all my brevet times when entering PBP

Whether someone would be inclined to retrieve that information is another matter.

Yeah...

It did seem to be "a thing" on the day though... people talking about this guy and that guy going for the record... I find it odd that there is no knowledge about such record.
To add to the mix of rumours, I have heard that Richie Tout himself had done it in 24 hours, which seems to be the magic figure.

Davef

« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2021, 01:45:42 pm »

Have you met Toby?
No, but just now strava suggested I follow Fiona kolbinger. Her ride at the weekend was 319km, 6000m+ of climbing, average power 215W. Ride time 13 hours, stopped time ..... 7 minutes.

« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2021, 01:49:43 pm »

Have you met Toby?
No, but just now strava suggested I follow Fiona kolbinger. Her ride at the weekend was 319km, 6000m+ of climbing, average power 215W. Ride time 13 hours, stopped time ..... 7 minutes.

I’ve got my stopped time down to 30-45 mins on 200km audaxes. But compared to 7 mins I’m light years away. Clearly she’s eating on the bike a lot more than I. As to average power I’ll just laugh, as I’m nowhere near that for 13 hours riding...

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:00:51 pm »

Have you met Toby?

She has become awesome... I remember Fiona at LWL in 2018, before anyone had ever heard of her... I'm pretty sure we finished ahead of her by quite some margin... then again, maybe she was tapering...  ::-)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #15 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:01:25 pm »
I think that Gethin Butler rode the Daylight 600km in 2003 and was trusted with the Dalmeny Village Hall key as something of a cert for first home.   

I think it would have been in around 24 hrs though Im sure that others here will know better.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #16 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:09:25 pm »
I think that Gethin Butler rode the Daylight 600km in 2003 and was trusted with the Dalmeny Village Hall key as something of a cert for first home.   

I think it would have been in around 24 hrs though Im sure that others here will know better.

He was probably taking easy then... I would expect him to go around a 600 in 20 hours comfortably  :P

Davef

« Reply #17 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:19:20 pm »

Have you met Toby?

I’ve got my stopped time down to 30-45 mins on 200km audaxes. But compared to 7 mins I’m light years away. Clearly she’s eating on the bike a lot more than I. As to average power I’ll just laugh, as I’m nowhere near that for 13 hours riding...
I did 180km in 5:30 elapsed in 2017 with less than a  minute of stoppage. Looking back I am not quite sure how, particularly as it was preceded by a 4km swim and followed by running a marathon.

« Reply #18 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:32:33 pm »
Bet you've never won an audax though...

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #19 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:41:27 pm »

I won many...  ;D

It still bothers me that "I lost" a Castleton Classic 200, when I took a diversion to avoid the A515... 

Losing a Classic is so very annoying... ;D

« Reply #20 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:42:03 pm »

Have you met Toby?

I did 180km in 5:30 elapsed in 2017 with less than a  minute of stoppage. Looking back I am not quite sure how, particularly as it was preceded by a 4km swim and followed by running a marathon.

When you’ve got someone ahead to chase and someone behind chasing and the event is time based, a race. It makes all the difference. Which iron man triathlon was it?

Davef

« Reply #21 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:48:43 pm »
Not since they got finicky about ebikes

Davef

« Reply #22 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:49:10 pm »

Have you met Toby?

When you’ve got someone ahead to chase and someone behind chasing and the event is time based, a race. It makes all the difference. Which iron man triathlon was it?
Austria

« Reply #23 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:53:37 pm »

Have you met Toby?

Austria

That’s a country, did the event have a name?

Edit - found you, 58th in your gender and age group. Well done.

Davef

« Reply #24 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:57:09 pm »

Have you met Toby?

Austria

That’s a country, did the event have a name?
Ironman Austria :-)