Author Topic: Which next drill  (Read 2286 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Which next drill
« Reply #50 on: 20 April, 2021, 01:45:56 pm »
The 5ah last forever but are also quite heavy and if I'm up a ladder, I'd much prefer a 2ah stuck up its rear.

That was pretty much my reasoning (although budget was a big factor too!). My experience with 1.5Ah batteries is they stop about half an hour before I'm ready to!

I reckon that for normal handheld power tool use[1] I'd much rather have two smaller batteries than one big one: Not just the weight, but it means one can be charging while the other is in use.  3Ah seems to be the sweet spot, as it lasts for the amount of sanding/grinding I'm likely to want to do in one go without a break.

Last time I looked, the price per amp-hour went up in the higher capacity batteries, too.

[1] Sure, if you're running a floodlight or lawnmower or something, a bigger battery is probably more convenient.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #51 on: 20 April, 2021, 02:55:08 pm »
I've been doing a lot of work offsite without mains hence the 5ah seemed like a good idea.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #52 on: 20 April, 2021, 03:19:58 pm »
I got an Erbauer drill with two 5aH batteries because at the time it was cheaper than the pack with two 4aH.

And recently got both the bare circular saw and jigsaw.

I think the batteries are both still on their first charge and I've had them a wee while albeit not loads of use.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1