Author Topic: Next door App  (Read 3475 times)

Re: Next door App
« Reply #25 on: 23 April, 2021, 04:44:41 pm »
Given the gems we have in Wor Village Chit Chat on Facebook (I can't do the illiteracy- Mr Smith Takes that For The Team) I don't even want to look to see if we have a Next Door.

My personal favourite in the rich seam of the baby snake was along the lines of Why have all the trees in Guisborough Forest gone brown. In Autumn. Snigger.

« Reply #26 on: 23 April, 2021, 05:11:07 pm »
Our local council, and the police, have said that statements and updates will be posted via next door.  However it's a very one way conversation. The only way the police or council see what you say is by replying to them. I'm sure they have fake accounts where they can see what people post in neighbourhood groups, but it seems very inefficient. I should test it, by offering to sell drugs on Next door, and see if the police come knocking. I don't know what I can do to upset the council as a test, maybe offer to sign off planning applications without any official capacity.

This is the header to local police's nextdoor page
"Hammersmith & Fulham Police
252 Uxbridge Rd, London
We endeavour to check in here as often as possible, but do not report crime here. Nextdoor does not allow us to view residents posts. "

The council

"Your local public services on Nextdoor
Nextdoor also provides a platform for local public services. H&F Council, the local police, Sobus (the community development agency) and a number of other organisations have all signed up to keep you in touch, get feedback from you, and help us to work with you better. Public services cannot see anything that you post on your neighbourhood site – that is completely private for you and your neighbours."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27 on: 23 April, 2021, 05:23:50 pm »
I looked at Next Door - full of crap and it turns out the leading light is a bearded weirdo standing for the council as some sort of fringe candidate.

We do have a WhatsApp group for our immediate cluster of about 15 houses and that works fine for all sorts of social interaction and the odd bit of useful information as well as helping each other.

« Reply #28 on: 23 April, 2021, 06:18:32 pm »
I joined Next door eons ago, and got a pack of postcards to put through my neighbour's doors to invite them to join. Naturally, the cards went in the bin.

Our nextdoor seems to be exclusively ads for builders and tutoring services.
Maybe that's my fault for binning the cards (but I doubt it).
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #29 on: 23 April, 2021, 08:09:09 pm »
I joined Next door eons ago, and got a pack of postcards to put through my neighbour's doors to invite them to join. Naturally, the cards went in the bin.

Our nextdoor seems to be exclusively ads for builders and tutoring services.
Maybe that's my fault for binning the cards (but I doubt it).

My local Nextdoor group is pretty lively and provides some useful stuff.

Anyone using it for spam advertising gets short shrift.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 28 April, 2021, 04:55:59 pm »
Actually, I was surprised to click on 'police busy-bodies with speed camera on...' link (I know, I know) to find the vast majority of responses were, I paraphrase, "fuck off."

« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2021, 03:27:17 pm »
I was in our local one for a few days, I expressed suprise that someone had called 999 because a car with with two coloured people had driven past their house, no more than that.

I was given a load of crap for being insensitive etc etc, I was assured that the police sent a car out but christ knows

ian

« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2021, 03:30:13 pm »
I dunno, if I saw a car with two purple people in it, I'd call the police.