Author Topic: Oooo! skittish, ain't they!  (Read 3391 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Oooo! skittish, ain't they!
« on: 13 May, 2021, 08:38:34 pm »
Hmmmm! almost had an almighty OFF! this afternoon.  Was hurtling down a big hill, and the road was wet /greasy, came round a bend and there was a MH cover in the middle of the road. I noticed this, as I know they can be a bit iffy , and sure enough 'hilda hit the edge of the frame. This caused a 'pant wetting' moment as the thing then went sideways, at 50+km/h , first at the front, then at the back. I was trying to get my cheap Goodmans action cam working again, so I had it on 'tape'. Scary sh!t !  Not at all helped by the fact that because I want to race at warp factor 10 on Sunday, I've pumped up the tyres to 100 psi.  Not so good on a greasy road I must admit.   ::-)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Oooo! skittish, ain't they!
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2021, 10:34:18 pm »
You saved it, so it’s an easy learning experience. If you’d stacked, then it would have counted as a hard learning experience.  ;D

Glad you’re ok and hope Sunday is a good one.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2021, 11:36:23 pm »
Sir is a lucky Sir; when the front wheel loses grip for any reason the result is usually an instant up-close-and-personal with the scenery.  I have witnessed with mine own eyes a few folks suffering visitations in the frontal area from She Who Must Not Be Named at Battle Mountain; the resultant crash tends to go on for a long time.  In contrast when Matt Weaver had a rear flat at V > 75 mph he was able gracefully to bring the bike to a standstill, topple over into the brush and wait for the support crew to let him out.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2021, 11:49:39 pm »
The Streetmachine remains the only bicycle I've successfully recovered from a front wheel skid, an experience that I'm in absolutely no hurry to repeat, not even for SCIENCE.

Wet manhole covers and high pressure tyres are a recipe for Type 3 Fun, especially if you're cornering (or chicken out of hitting them square on in a straight line at the last moment)   :hand:

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2021, 10:08:24 am »
Hmmmm! almost had an almighty OFF! this afternoon.  Was hurtling down a big hill, and the road was wet /greasy, came round a bend and there was a MH cover in the middle of the road. I noticed this, as I know they can be a bit iffy , and sure enough 'hilda hit the edge of the frame. This caused a 'pant wetting' moment as the thing then went sideways, at 50+km/h , first at the front, then at the back. I was trying to get my cheap Goodmans action cam working again, so I had it on 'tape'. Scary sh!t !  Not at all helped by the fact that because I want to race at warp factor 10 on Sunday, I've pumped up the tyres to 100 psi.  Not so good on a greasy road I must admit.   ::-)

We needs to see that 'tape'  ;D ;D ;D    This thread is useless without video.

I'm unusual in that I didn't subscribe to the reduce tyre pressure in the wet mentality.   I experimented a lot when it became "a thing", but I found the reduced handling through softer tyres worse than just knowing to back off a little to keep control.   I doubt that softer tyres would have prevented me rolling the Windcheetah, that was caused by trying donuts on an icy car park.

I run everything on max tyre pressure, with the exception of the daily runner which I just top up when I notice it's getting harder to ride.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2021, 10:19:31 am »
I have recovered from a both-wheel skid when I hit sand-covered paint hatching leant over at about 35mph. Fortunately both wheels slid in the same direction! Also, that was on a motorbike, so the tyres are somewhat wider and the geometry more stable...

Anyways, I agree with Nutty on the video but I've got to say if it had happened to me, I wouldn't have been spending any brain cells or finger neurons on cameras.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2021, 12:36:27 pm »
It doesn’t hardly look like a thing on the video, but I will try to understand the inner workings of electro gimmericy, and edit out a tiny wee bit for you all.  ps.. don’t hold your breath, coz at this sort of ting . I IS PANTS

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2021, 03:12:57 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMreVBEXT-I

There we go, date is wrong thobut. @1.04m

« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2021, 03:19:55 pm »

Thank you.  Nice catch.

That number plate at the end  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2021, 03:36:00 pm »
Front wheel going on a road bike can mean a head banging incident. So lucky you were on your recumbent. It could be a lot worse.

Stay away from wet metal on a bike.  Take a line that keeps you away from the grids if they are regularly spaced like in your video.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2021, 03:55:08 pm »

Thank you.  Nice catch.

That number plate at the end  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's not wat ur thinking......... ::-)  Small writing underneath was something like 'doggymentor'? obedience training? 'Get down Shep!'

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2021, 05:08:17 pm »
  I’ve seen reports that Rogzilla owns a BMW, and that car there is proof if any where actually needed.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Browser

• I just want to ride and not stop......
« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2022, 06:07:19 am »

[/quote]

Eck! Bet that got the old pucker valve palpitating a little bit!
May all your roads be wide and smooth.

« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2022, 07:32:09 am »
Took my Streetmachine offroading at the weekend.  Only a wet,  muddy towpath with roots and rocks. Would be OK but for narrow,  slick tyres. If I wasn't wheelspinning from starting I was snaking around. Slicks on uprights isn't as fun I reckon. I found out it was slippy when the bent disappeared from under me and I got ejected to the side,  nearly into a thorny hedge! Cycling back I realised how much I'd been slipping by the single wheel track becoming two looping tracks every metre along the track. Didn't notice it that much but I was micro adjusting with my USS. Subtle,  gentle adjustments seemed to work

Mind you my first speed run I got to 31mph downhill and felt a newbie handling wobble coming on.  You know, inexperience means you over adjust which makes it worse. Fortunately I didn't have an off but I've been slower since.  25mph suits me just fine!