Author Topic: Fast recumbent  (Read 6304 times)

Fast recumbent
« on: 23 May, 2021, 10:44:39 pm »
So, if you were looking for new/secondhand bent for audax and long days, perhaps LEL next year and all the associated training what kind of bike would you be looking at?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Fast recumbent
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2021, 12:12:19 am »
One with the biggest wheels I could reach the ground from.

« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2021, 06:36:09 am »
Schlitter Freestyle and Metabikes Mystique are the ones generating the biggest buzz at the moment, if you can manage them and afford to buy new.  Big wheels, lowish seat height.

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2021, 06:44:58 am »
Schlitter Freestyle and Metabikes Mystique are the ones generating the biggest buzz at the moment, if you can manage them and afford to buy new.  Big wheels, lowish seat height.

I am thinking of a freestyle, just a bit worried about the importing process.

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2021, 07:03:10 am »
LaidBack bikes in Edinburgh might be prepared to help. They have before with the Freestyle.

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2021, 09:02:39 am »
Laid Back Bikes can also supply the Pelso Brevet - very similar to the Freestyle.  I bought mine before the Brexit bonus kicked in, they are made in Hungary so it would be worth checking with Laid Back on the current situation?. I find it very comfortable and easy to handle. Lightweight and potentially fast with a stronger rider than me. If you just get the frameset you have a choice of how to set it up.

There's a link to a review on the Laid Back website, and the company has info on faceache as well as their own website.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2021, 09:52:57 am »
I should say that importing a frameset personally from a reputable company with insured shipping should be worry free. Of course you do have to understand that at some point there will be VAT and customs to pay, and best to understand how these are calculated so you have the funds available. Customs duties are on top of shipping and insurance, and VAT is on top of everything including customs.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:22:42 am »
Similar thread, useful input here.....................https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=145975

« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:37:52 am »
Yes speak to David at Laid Back. He is super helpful. He told me he does every bike other than Cruz Bikes as they tend not to sell via dealers. He can advise you on what models would suit you for your price range and intended use. He'll also be able to advise on what models have a stupid lead times.

« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2021, 12:01:11 pm »

I am thinking of a freestyle, just a bit worried about the importing process.

Import is fairly straight forward. You’ll order item to be imported. At some point it will ship and come into this country.  It’ll be held by Parcel Force (unless that’s changed recently).  You’ll get a request to pay import duties / vat.  You go online to pay that, select a delivery date, and that’s pretty much it.

If you think they’ve calculated the import costs incorrectly you can challenge it. So lookup bike parts import code and associated values and example calculations  on hmrc site to understand what it should come to.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2021, 03:46:01 pm »
'Continental recumbent makers site.     http://www.velomo.eu/'         

« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2021, 06:19:11 pm »
'Continental recumbent makers site.     http://www.velomo.eu/'         

That's interesting - as well as various recumbent bikes / trikes, they list a nosecone and tailbox. 

« Reply #12 on: 28 May, 2021, 11:36:31 am »
Where's ElyDave at? He runs a Cruzbike S40 for exactly these purposes. I have one too, but I use it as a long-distance commuter.

You could go to the V20 too, there's a Norwegian chap who tours and audaxes on his including PBP, but it's all about what position you want to be in. I like a high-racer since I'm sitting at the same height as a car driver.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #13 on: 28 May, 2021, 06:51:48 pm »
Cruzbike could be awesome, but MBB + higher cost than alternatives + not available second hand.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2021, 10:54:50 pm »
Cruzbike could be awesome, but MBB + higher cost than alternatives + not available second hand.
I did have to jump in quickly when a higher-than-stock spec appeared on their forum at about half-price. I also got lucky that he was within half an hour of of my obliging brother-in-law. Aside from that the framesets are decent (enough) value.

And just quietly, the S40s come with a viscoset headset now. I've done enough learning to be comfortable, but it'll help anyone new to it.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #15 on: 02 February, 2022, 09:50:05 pm »
Did you get anything in the end?

« Reply #16 on: 07 February, 2022, 10:22:58 pm »
Did you get anything in the end?

Not yet.  Still on the lookout.  I’ve got as close as anything to importing a freestyle.  But that would just stretch my budget a bit far.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #17 on: 09 February, 2022, 08:06:58 am »
S40 is great as a fast tourer, and with a triple up front on 30 x 32 I've been up 14% on a lightly loaded tour.  Its a good overall riding position for me, within the envelope of compromises that every recumbent works with.

One thing to remember is that import duties are higher on complete bikes than framesets, so self build can be a good option. I had my frameset delivered to my US office when I had a trip there and saved cost that way.

As above, if being used on the road, tours, audax etc then finding the sweet spot between speed and controllability at low speed, hills, traffic lights etc is important and will vary with both bike and person. I sold my M5 because I wasn't fully comfortable mixing it with traffic at low speed around roundabouts, junctions etc with a seat that low and more limited forward vision. Despite higher seat height its easier to get a foot down on the S40.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #18 on: 09 February, 2022, 08:09:46 am »
Pelso brevet looks like the old Schlitter Encore? Which i nearly pulled the trigger on way back when.

« Reply #19 on: 09 February, 2022, 12:26:08 pm »
Pelso brevet looks like the old Schlitter Encore? Which i nearly pulled the trigger on way back when.

Designed by the same guy who designed the Encore I think

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 09 February, 2022, 12:30:57 pm »
I can vouch for my general inability to keep up with John Lucian on his Pelso Brevet whenever the track takes a turn for the gravitational.  It weighs about half what mine does, while having road-friendly wheels.

« Reply #21 on: 09 February, 2022, 01:54:24 pm »
I have a Pelso Brevet, bought as a frameset through Laid-back Bikes.  As Kim says, it is lightweight and can be set up as a high racer or with 20" front wheel.  Depending on seat angle a bit of modification of the seat bracket might be needed to avoid the seat hitting the frame as it has a bit of flex - not enough to affect pedalling power, but it does make for a comfortable ride.  Happy to send pics / info on my setup if you decide to go for one of these.

ElyDave

« Reply #22 on: 10 February, 2022, 03:28:56 pm »
Silvio 1.5 (non hydroformed frame, plus boingy bits) on e-bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284404169155?hash=item4237cf39c3:g:64wAAOSwBBJhBRem

I seem to recall seeing this one before, in Dalgety Bay (wherever that is)  ;)

« Reply #23 on: 17 February, 2022, 09:16:44 pm »
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #24 on: 18 February, 2022, 10:59:46 am »
Encore FS on CTC forum (not mine, etc)
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?p=1672500#p1672500

Notice they have GP5000 tyres in photo, but they are selling with Durano 😁