Floor standing
2 (5.1%)
Other
2 (5.1%)
Don’t use them!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: 28 June, 2021, 09:02:15 am

Author Topic: Loo roll orientation  (Read 3152 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Loo roll orientation
« on: 29 May, 2021, 09:02:15 am »
Grandson worked out how to fit new loo roll, but ‘apparently’ back to front.. ::-)
So which way . Saw a FB page a while back, someone had an opinion, “ fringes are fine, mullets are not’,!

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: Loo roll orientation
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:09:41 am »
You need a 'Whatevs' option as well.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:16:17 am »
Cue old joke:

How many men does it take to replace a loo roll?       

. . .   Nobody knows, it's never been done.

IGMC

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:30:37 am »

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:43:42 am »
Normally as above with end at the front, but if you have toddlers in the house the other way round, cos they love to unwind the whole roll in one go!

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:55:40 am »
Izal also came in boxes in the 'good' old days and there is no nail in that illustration.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2021, 11:07:13 am »
Cue old joke:

How many men does it take to replace a loo roll?       

. . .   Nobody knows, it's never been done.

IGMC

Yes, I always thought the orientation was brand-related.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2021, 11:32:32 am »
Got a Park Tools toilet roll holder. It rotates to suit the user.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2021, 11:35:11 am »
Me Da reckoned that there'd be less stress on the holder fixings if you hung it down the back, but I've never bothered to work out the parallelogram of forces thingie.  Anyway, ours hangs down the wall in loving memory.

Anecdottle:  when our daughter's partner has been here we always find the bog roll hanging down the front, as if he had a pathological urge to hang it "properly" and was "correcting" ours.  Then a while back I realized that he wasn't: he was just using so much that he finished whatever was on the roll every visit and put another one in.

The Inlaw Paw, having been in the RN, often quoted the maxim "one up, one down and a polisher".  Modern youth is obviously more prodigal: I read some years ago that according to Kimberly-Clark's statistics, the average American uses 47 sheets a day.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2021, 11:49:10 am »
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2021, 12:04:30 pm »
Mullet, because I grew up with a cat who liked to unwind the toilet roll.  In our current house the landlord-quality loo roll holder simply serves as a buffer for an un-started roll, while the in-use roll perches vertically on the end of the radiator, where it's easier to access with your right hand without doing a Dutch Reach.

« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2021, 12:05:49 pm »
...I read some years ago that according to Kimberly-Clark's statistics, the average American uses 47 sheets a day.

I imagine that was presented with an “and you wouldn’t want to be below average, would you?” sort of tone.

ravenbait

• Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2021, 12:17:33 pm »
The Inlaw Paw, having been in the RN, often quoted the maxim "one up, one down and a polisher".  Modern youth is obviously more prodigal: I read some years ago that according to Kimberly-Clark's statistics, the average American uses 47 sheets a day.

American drainage is built to a different standard. Their pipes are narrower, and they therefore have a different toilet paper standard in order not to block the pipes. Presumably that paper requires more sheets to do the job(bie), which leads one to wonder if the additional mass of disintegrating paper causes blockages anyway.

I can't remember where I learned this. Probably the sewage treatment works and network drainage part of my masters.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #13 on: 29 May, 2021, 12:24:22 pm »
The thing to do, is get half a dozen rolls of Izal medicated.Unwind about 6ft from each roll and place the ends in the water in the lavatory pan. Unwind the rest of each roll and trail it throughout the house (particularly effective if you trail it down the stairs). Remove the core. Return to the lavatory pan and flush. Point with delight as the crazy flat boas wriggle their way through the house, up the stairs and into the pan. Rinse and repeat. Hours of fun.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14 on: 29 May, 2021, 12:25:51 pm »
As this US patent clearly shows, fringe is the way the designer intended.

Bog roll patent
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #15 on: 29 May, 2021, 01:50:26 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2021, 02:54:20 pm »
Before I installed a Park holder, my bogroll was suspended on a piece of string hanging from the shower curtain rail with a clothes peg on the end.  Thread string through middle of roll; clothes peg prevents roll from falling off.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #17 on: 29 May, 2021, 04:53:40 pm »
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #18 on: 29 May, 2021, 04:57:57 pm »
I prefer fringe but the wife prefers mullet.

I once grabbed a sheet off a mullet and there was a spider hiding on the back. I think the fringe is too far from the wall for spiders to make the crossing.
The wife doesn't mind spiders (except the one that bit her in the garden once).
Never knowingly under caffeinated

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 29 May, 2021, 05:02:12 pm »
Before I installed a Park holder, my bogroll was suspended on a piece of string hanging from the shower curtain rail with a clothes peg on the end.  Thread string through middle of roll; clothes peg prevents roll from falling off.

Handy if you've eaten dodgy seafood.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 29 May, 2021, 08:51:39 pm »

Seen once somewhere, a little label above the holder stating:
Changing the toilet roll does not cause cancer
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #21 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:10:30 pm »
haha! just realised why it should   be a fringe.

when said sheets are ripped off in anger desperation, they usually tear at the centre of the roll, (at widest circumference) and if one has installed a mullet, finding the edge next time, is akin to finding the end of the sellotape, whereas with a fringe, bingo there it is!

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #22 on: 30 May, 2021, 09:54:19 am »
It is easier to tear sheets off one-handed if it is a mullet.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23 on: 30 May, 2021, 12:45:17 pm »
It is easier to tear sheets off one-handed if it is a mullet.
Ah! Hence the expression “ tearing off a mullet”!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 30 May, 2021, 01:08:45 pm »
Can I just say that this 'fringe'/'mullet' terminology is the best thing since lego brick connectors.