Author Topic: Happy pride month!  (Read 1671 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Happy pride month!
« Reply #50 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:39:59 pm »
Why do people feel it necessary to tell LGBTIQ+ people what their views are on pronouns in a Pride Month thread?

Yeah... This.

I think there are some people in here open to being told "the reason misgendering doesn't bother you is because of privilege" and taking a lesson from that, and others who insist that pronouns don't matter cos pronouns don't bother them.

As a queer cisgender person I do try to follow the lead of trans and nonbinary people as a group want done (not all, cos not all agree on what to do), and indeed try and explain reasons why pronoun declarations are useful. Maybe it'll stick, maybe it won't, but I don't think it does harm and it can make some people's lives a lot happier/easier which is no bad thing.

« Reply #51 on: 07 June, 2021, 11:02:16 pm »
Why do people feel it necessary to tell LGBTIQ+ people what their views are on pronouns in a Pride Month thread?
Sorry. I mentioned it as something I thought was a straightforward positive at my work!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #52 on: 08 June, 2021, 08:11:51 am »
Sorry. I mentioned it as something I thought was a straightforward positive at my work!

My comment wasn't aimed at you.  You weren't trying to impose your views on the thread.  You were being positive!   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #53 on: 12 June, 2021, 08:30:15 am »
I'm all for positivity. And bright colours. And happiness, for June and onwards.