Author Topic: MOUNTAIN 300 BIKE 500  (Read 1252 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
MOUNTAIN 300 BIKE 500
« on: 05 June, 2021, 02:08:39 pm »
3peaker is in the mountains and will complete the Welsh 3 Peaks. I am taking a cask of late-wife Shirley’s ashes along the 300 mile Cambrian Way between Cardiff and Conwy. Known as the Mountain Connoisseurs Walk, 2021 is its 50th anniversary. This is my 3rd Cambrian Way walk, first in 1971, then in 2011. This time I am using a road bike to connect day S/F points and my campervan. So, whilst walking 300miles, I will probably ride 400miles just on return to start.

Shirley was cared for by Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court Hospice, Cheltenham. You can support Sue Ryder on the following JG link:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stephen-Poulton

After 10 days walking, I am at home for 4days R&R before returning to Llandovery on Sunday 6 Jun. I am actually enjoying the cycling back to the Campervan; something the body is very used to!
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Re: MOUNTAIN BIKE 400?
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2021, 02:12:28 pm »
All the best to you Steve, for another good and memorable expedition.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
Re: MOUNTAIN BIKE 400?
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2021, 10:32:25 pm »
I can safely announce I completed my Cambrian Way 300mile WALK on Wed 23 Jun, with 25 days of walking in a 36 day elapsed period. Just need to check my gps's to work out the cycling mileage. I was walking in memory of my late wife Shirley.

Shirley was cared for by Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court Hospice, Cheltenham. You can support Sue Ryder on the following JG link:
SteveP

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
Re: MOUNTAIN 300 BIKE 500
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2021, 01:06:13 pm »
I can report with a tired body that I completed The Cambrian Way on Wed 23rd Jun after 25 walking days since 19 May. This, my 3rd CW walk, was probably the hardest, as a result of the transport logistics I employed.

Here is a brief report:
CAMBRIAN MY WAY

I took a couple R&R breaks, first caused by weather and then fatigue. Once back in mid-Wales, I kept going, taking a couple single days off to position the bike and sort a van wing-mirror problem. The weather did help, with little further suggestion that I needed a weather break. In addition to the 300 miles of the walk, I cycled 510 miles and the campervan covered 1560 miles. Simplistically, each walk stage required 3 van journeys, 1 bike journey and 1 walk journey, though I varied according to campsite location and practicality of road or bike journey (with/without rucksack) variations. To accommodate the bike journeys, I spent 2 nights in mountain summit Shelters, which provided sunset and sunrise experiences. I avoided unplanned benightment (a couple during my 2011 journey). Physically, I lost 10lbs in weight, though I never went hungry, always having enough food on the hill (slab fruit cake /oatcakes/cheese compact to carry, easiest to prepare daily and eat) and enjoying decent meals in the van. A late evening beer provided re-hydration after copious cuppas. On most stops I used established campsites, so had facilities with electric for the van, though I was prepared for no power. Some days started at 06:30 and finished at 02:00 and covered a 10-12hr combined walk/cycle day. The one single feature that enabled my success could have been time of year, as I had daylight till past 22:00 and was often cycling into late evening.

Whilst I had my personal reasons for wanting to walk the Cambrian Way for the 3rd time (50th anniversary after my 1st walk in 1971 and 2nd in 2011), I had to face the issue of advancing years, now 74, and Covid restrictions to overcome. These suggested using the campervan and bike as logistics support vehicles. I also had sad reasons for the walk, having lost my mountain companion of 50 years and wife of 46 years, Shirley, to pancreatic cancer last year in April. By carrying her ashes throughout the walk, I gained strength and conviction. It also provided me with an incentive to raise funds for the Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court Hospice, whose home care team supported both Shirley and me last year.

You can support Sue Ryder on the following JG link:
SteveP