Author Topic: Fenland Friends 3rd July 2021  (Read 789 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Fenland Friends 3rd July 2021
« on: 07 June, 2021, 08:09:58 pm »
Fenland Friends (Flatlands Reversed) 600km is now full up, at 50 entries. I'll run a waiting list up to a few days before the event, as with Hereward, Woodman etc this year. I'll get some info out to riders in the next week or so. Of course the 21st June date for possible changes to the regime is yet to come ...

Cycling Geezer has decided to put his companion 600, Yorkshire Via Essex on hold for now, so we will be Friendless - except I have a cunning plan: ...

So, if anyone from up north wants to ride a Flatliner 600 permanent (I'm assuming we'll still be operating on only 6 per day/perm event) and ride in reverse down via Sleaford, Spalding and Chatteris, then we'd have someone to wave to. Alternatively a southerner could start from this end and ride the old Flatlands way up, so our paths would cross at the northern end.

To this end I'm offering six Flatliner 600km brevets free of charge. Applications by post with a couple of SAEs in the old skool way please.

Re: Fenland Friends 3rd July 2021
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2021, 02:14:06 pm »
I do hope that AUK don't take a step back if the current restrictions aren't lifted.   If so I'll need to do a perm that weekend instead.

Provided I get out and do a Summer Solstice 400 next weekend the Fenland Friends will complete my 25th SR series.   It's a civilised ride for me with a 5 mile ride to the start and a bed at 2/3rds distance.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2021, 07:03:28 pm »
I'm waiting to see what is hinted at by ye government on Monday. Maybe, just maybe AUK will open everything up promptly. Andy Corless implies as much re: LEJOG in July.

« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2021, 08:49:10 pm »
I would just like to say thanks to all organisers: Tomsk and others for their efforts to keep things going. I’m signed up for Fenland Friends and LEJOG. Fingers crossed that they can go ahead. If they don’t then I can tell you how I was in peak form (this year) for the next decade.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:19:13 am »
Actually, as the limit is now 30/day/permanent, I can offer up to that number to ride a Flatliner, though so far only limited interest. Maybe I'll ride it myself and free up some Fenland Friends places - any others wishing to join me then I'll refund your FF fee. Still groups of six at cafe stops though ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:30:56 am »
Awaiting the AUK Board's decision, but informed it's likely we won't be able to go ahead. Thirty riders on The Flatliner permanent instead is an option ...

I'll be contacting all riders when things become clearer.

« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2021, 08:13:44 am »
Awaiting the AUK Board's decision, but informed it's likely we won't be able to go ahead. Thirty riders on The Flatliner permanent instead is an option ...

Thread on the AUK forum seems to suggest otherwise, but it's all subject to approval.

If not I'll put my hand up for a perm ride.   If you get an influx I'm happy to ride Fri/Sat instead of Sat/Sun (I assume that works).

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2021, 01:52:50 pm »
As I’ve presumptuously already booked a hotel up north for the Saturday night I’d be keen on a perm entry too, if it comes to it. That would also have the added bonus of allowing me to start from home pretty much  :thumbsup:

ETA I’ve just checked and it looks like I can amend my hotel booking if necessary so I’d also be happy to do the perm on a different day if numbers dictated it.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:16:00 pm »

Thread on the AUK forum seems to suggest otherwise, but it's all subject to approval.

If not I'll put my hand up for a perm ride.   If you get an influx I'm happy to ride Fri/Sat instead of Sat/Sun (I assume that works).

Trying to make decisions based on hints and rumours is, how shall we say, sub-optimal ... To be fair though, I got an update promptly yesterday from my immediate superior.

I guess 30 Flatliner perms starting on 2nd and another 30 on 3rd July is within the letter of the law, but maybe not what was envisaged when the AUK Covid Regs were drawn up. If some were riding the other way round and with different start points and times too, eveyone would be very spread out though.

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:01:56 pm »

Trying to make decisions based on hints and rumours is, how shall we say, sub-optimal ... To be fair though, I got an update promptly yesterday from my immediate superior.

I guess 30 Flatliner perms starting on 2nd and another 30 on 3rd July is within the letter of the law, but maybe not what was envisaged when the AUK Covid Regs were drawn up. If some were riding the other way round and with different start points and times too, eveyone would be very spread out though.

To be honest I’ve read that thread again and I’ve changed my mind.  Will see what the final guidance is.  I do have that weekend assigned for a 600 but there’s a few ways to do it.