Author Topic: Is it right that the steering on a low-racer bike has a "notch" at dead centre?  (Read 2197 times)

I have never noticed it before and I have had the bike for ages. I have always assumed that the headset bearing is standard and I can't see any reason why this should be a feature.  But being so central when it occurs when I move it from side to side when stationary, it feels that it COULD be normal.  Looking back, I did hit a fairly major pothole at speed about a month ago, which in turn caused an inner tube / tyre blowout and a long slide down a hill. Is it possible that this has smashed a ball bearing inside to cause this feel?

I have lost a bit of confidence in the handling and I don't know if that is psychological in that I THINK that it is not as it should be, or if this "notch" is actually causing a real instability ie my brain is not used to overcoming the slight resistance on a tiny movement from centre.

If it is a ball bearing issue, is the headset easy to replace on these things? (it is one of these https://mccraw.co.uk/2012/09/01/challenge-fujin-sl-review/ , adapted for long- distance light touring)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
It's a ruined headset.  Kim will be along shortly to advise if it's a standard fitment.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Not sure about the Fujin, I don't *think* it's integrated, is it?

But yeah, agree that it's not supposed to have a notch, which is a normal function of headset wear.  I think recumbent headsets have a harder life in this respect than uprights, as they take more load.

The link ^ has  pics of a standard (not integrated) headset

It  will almost  certainly have cartridge bearings

If you can find the size these people are good for replacements

https://www.wychbearings.co.uk/search/for/headset/

Double check how much pre-load is on the headset bearings.
I have had that "notched" feeling when I've tightened the headset by to much.
At slow speeds it start to feel like my trike is hunting for a line around a corner.
See if loosening the load on the bearings a fraction frees them up without adding any play.
I've had success doing that while on tour, I've probably got more leeway on a trike with twin headset but doing this let me wait till after I got home before fitting new headset bearings.
If you don't loose the notch before you get to much play in the headset then it's new bearing time anyway.

Luck ........  ;Ds

Thanks all, that is so helpful

What were the adaptations you made to the Fujin?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

What were the adaptations you made to the Fujin?
I bought it second-hand but pristine several years ago, it is a lot more battered now! Clearly built for racing with very high tech spokes and wheels but the front-wheel spokes kept breaking, so I had a new front wheel rebuilt to take a SON dynamo hub and touring tyre, the dynamo powering an Edelux light and a voltage smoother for a power bank (phone and GPS). Not pass-through charging though, my mistake. I was ready to change the back wheel as well but it has turned out to be surprisingly sturdy - tyre replaced with something a bit more robust though. Home made headrest from an old desk chair and quite pleased with that. Handlebars also changed to have a bull-horn option, which is helpful
It is brilliant for medium to long distance stuff - really comfortable, if a bit twitchy - great handling but I have realised that the threshold for falling over on rough terrain at speed is never far away. I have a Trice as well, also good for long distance but rather slower.  I think of them as my Ferrari (appropriately bright red) and my Volvo