Author Topic: What was your favourite Audax?  (Read 6881 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
What was your favourite Audax?
« on: 15 August, 2021, 09:16:48 am »
For any reason :)

I would nominate;

Brum 200 - for a nicely varied route and good camaraderie on the ride

Watership Down - lovely ride in weak winter sunshine

Oasts and Coasts - it was hilly and I was slow but felt great to complete my first 300 in time  :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Notfromrugby

Re: What was your favourite Audax?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2021, 11:16:54 am »
I have fond memories of the brevets organised by John Hamilton... great excursions deep into Wales... often followed/preceded by camping at Upton Magna.

I understand he is no longer organising events, which is a pity

« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2021, 11:20:45 am »
^ they were always good.

I did three of his: the Irish Mail 400, Snowdon & Coast 400, and Mille Cymru 1000 Mk1.
Immaculately organised, great routes that were both stunningly scenic and designed to flow.

MC probably my favourite just for the sheer gratuitousness of it.

Other faves are the Rigby era BCM and BC400s.

« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2021, 11:58:22 am »
Dave Pountney's Elenith.

Rode it over 20 times, almost always as a full value event. If I was lucky, I finished with half an hour in hand.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2021, 12:07:08 pm »
I loved the old Border Raid (Darlington; Barnard Castle; Alston; Brampton; Canonbie; Newcastleton; Jedburgh; Kelso; Galashiels; Peebles; Moffat; Lockerbie; Longtown; Carlisle; Penrith; Sedburgh; Askrigg; Leyburn; Ripon; Darlington). The calendar event was held in early July and if you were reasonably speedy and lucky with the weather, the whole 600 could be done in daylight with a Premier Inn stop at Annandale after 360k.

« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2021, 12:08:24 pm »
Dave Pountney's Elenith.

Rode it over 20 times, almost always as a full value event. If I was lucky, I finished with half an hour in hand.

I rode it a few times and always found it a very varied experience dependant on weather. Part of its appeal perhaps. Soup at the Tregaron bowls club always great, and reminiscent of Steve Poulton's Burbage control on his excellent version of the Cheltenham Flyer...another ride I would always try and attend.

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2021, 01:17:02 pm »
West Highland 1000.

Stunning route, superb organisation, glorious weather. What's not to like?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2021, 04:07:11 pm »
West Highland 1000.

Stunning route, superb organisation, glorious weather. What's not to like?

Definitely my favourite too, though I don’t have anything like the breadth of experience needed to be able to compare it with a lot of the classics (still never done the BCM, for example).

The Saturday of that ride (second full day) was probably the best day I’ve ever had on my bike.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2021, 05:02:02 pm »
Carmarthenshire Snapper from Bynea, llanelli and Border Castles from Chepstow are probably my favourite 200's.

I've not done the Snapper for about 6 years, stunning route. It didn't get a huge field which is a pity, it was well worth the drive from Bristol, I hope it's back on the calendar next year.

Border Castles is a great season closer, ridden it quite a few times and always love it apart from Star Hill near the end.

Mark Rigby's BCM 600 also gets my vote, day two was in opinion, much better than what the current route does on day two.
Mark Rigby's Dragons & Legends 600 also quite an adventure, it's been long enough for the pain and nightmares to subside to now rank it as a a favourite.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2021, 11:41:11 pm »
Watership Down - lovely ride in weak winter sunshine
I liked the Watership Down too. Always looked forward to the Kennet Valley. Not sure whether the Henley Hilly Hundred will keep running - I'm a terrible climber, but for some reason I got on well with that one. I only rode the Test Century once, but remember it fondly. And the days when there were a whole series of events from Henham (Essex), run by different clubs on different weekends. Some survive, I think.

« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2021, 08:49:05 am »
Dave Pountney's Elenith.

+1
You're talking my language Blade :-)
[From where I sit at the moment - not sure I'd even make it round at all!]

I have fond memories of the brevets organised by John Hamilton... great excursions deep into Wales... often followed/preceded by camping at Upton Magna.

I understand he is no longer organising events, which is a pity
+1
That's a shame, but many thanks John.

As for other rides - really like The Dean and The Upper Thames.
Garry Broad

« Reply #11 on: 16 August, 2021, 09:25:53 am »
Cotswold Corker (when it was run) and the Upper Thames.

« Reply #12 on: 16 August, 2021, 10:58:47 am »
Dorset Coast. Still the best 200 route in the calendar.

Mark Rigby-era BC 400 and BCM 600 are fond memories for all sorts of reasons, including chats with Mark himself.

John Hamilton's Mille Cymru Mk1 in 2010 because T03y and I just laffed our way round it.

Mille Pennines 2016 because everyone else quit on day 2.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: 17 August, 2021, 04:04:41 pm »
A difficult question. A bit like asking you to identify your favourite holiday.

For me Mark Rigby’s rides are all up there, the routes are always varied and thought through and Mark’s personality is ideal for an organiser - he’s empathetic, sympathetic and knowledgeable.

For me I’ll go for the Cotswold Corker (partly because it’s local for me in Stroud and I regularly use most of it as a training ride), Across to the Cotswold (which was one of Gavin Greenhow’s routes), the Gospel Pass Brevet (iconic and I always finish with only minutes to spare), the Brevet Cymru (my only 400), Peter Holden’s the Heart of England, the Kidderminster Killer and the Dartmoor Devil. Oh, and the Dorset Coast. Ok, there are lots of others I could list but this is supposed to be favourites!

« Reply #14 on: 17 August, 2021, 04:16:39 pm »
I rather like my own events, seeing as I devised the routes. 

However, of all the others: By the number of times ridden it has to be the Dartmoor Devil (18 times), followed by the Bryan Chapman 600 (10 or 11, I think).  For perverse pleasure, Bernie's Long Flat One, Mark Rigby's silly hilly 600 (what was it called?), and Nik Peregrine's Mountain Roads of S Wales 300.

Absolute favourite: Calais-Brindisi.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #15 on: 17 August, 2021, 06:13:05 pm »
Brian Morris' "Up The Downs" 200k 1993?

First ever 200. Happened to be on a tandem trike. Finished with less than 3 minutes to spare and Brian unpacking the last tin of rice pudding for us both at Grazeley Village Hall

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 17 August, 2021, 07:19:51 pm »
I rather like my own events, seeing as I devised the routes. 

Several of yours are my to-do list. I even got as far as entering one once. Maybe I’ll actually turn up and ride one some day.

« Reply #17 on: 17 August, 2021, 07:20:20 pm »
Dave Pountney's Elenith.

I would second that :)
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #18 on: 17 August, 2021, 08:17:24 pm »
Any event that finishes at a pub!!!!!!!

The wessex rides are my favorite rides ,nothing better then a spin round ancient wessex.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #19 on: 17 August, 2021, 09:22:23 pm »
Best  ever - the national 400 in 2015, which started at Dingwall and went north.

In terms of regular calendar events, I used to enjoy the Cotswold Corker, the old Camarthanshire Snapper route was glorious but I didn't enjoy the revised route so much when I rode in 2019, and the Man of Kent 200 has always been a favourite. Tomsk's Hereward the Wake is a great ride too - I must enter that again next time.

I rode it only once, and finished a few minutes out of time, but Ian H's Kernow 600 was superb. I also liked Mark Rigby's BCM, but am less enamoured of the new route, particularly on the second day. The section from Newtown to Knighton was one of the highlights for me but I find the new route from there rather dull.

Finally, I think Audax Hackney's "Way to the Sea" 200 may become a favourite. When we are  no longer required to limit numbers, I think that could become a biggie.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 17 August, 2021, 09:31:04 pm »
PBP is always well up amongst my favourite brevets (particularly PBP03) but might not actually be at the top. A few brevets that I’ve only ridden once are also jostling for the premier placing. Mile Failte 1200, Mille Miglia 1600, GSR 1200 and a couple of UAF 1000s (Paris-Tourmalet and Paris-Ventoux) had the benefit of great weather, interesting routes, good food and experienced supporters.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21 on: 17 August, 2021, 10:11:12 pm »
Finally, I think Audax Hackney's "Way to the Sea" 200 may become a favourite. When we are  no longer required to limit numbers, I think that could become a biggie.
The Straight Outta Hackney was fun as well. Slightly odd for me because I live nearer the Cambridge turn than the start, but a different ride. I only rode it twice, and the second time I packed (temptation of being near home didn't help), but a good ride.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #22 on: 17 August, 2021, 10:52:39 pm »
It's difficult to choose but definitely one of my favourites was the Isle of Wight onshore/offshore (I did the 150 version but I am sure the 200 was equally good). Three ferry trips in one day, a truly west to east traverse of the island and then an enjoyable New Forest loop, it's a shame this one now can't run because of the ferry bookings (at least not as a calendar event).

Up near the top of my list then are 300s - Hereward the Wake for wonderful night time riding, London Orbital for the satisfaction of looping the capital, and the Fairies Flat because it was!

However my events have mostly been pretty local to home, and I am sure there are many out there in other parts of the country which I would also enjoy.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 17 August, 2021, 11:47:34 pm »
Have done hardly any but I'd rank my DiY from Ullapool to Tongue as the best.

HoE 300, Others that start near home, Upper Thames.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #24 on: 18 August, 2021, 05:07:10 am »
It's difficult to choose but definitely one of my favourites was the Isle of Wight onshore/offshore (I did the 150 version but I am sure the 200 was equally good).

Oh yes, forgot that one, but definitely one of my favourites too. Rolling off the ferry and then up to the Needles is a fantastic way to start a ride.

And yes, really is such a shame it can’t run any more.