Author Topic: laidback newbie...  (Read 3586 times)

Re: laidback newbie...
« Reply #25 on: 30 December, 2021, 12:33:37 pm »
Why are hub brakes fitted not disc's on velomobiles a h  ? ???
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 30 December, 2021, 01:44:50 pm »
Isn't it just a matter of taking up less space in the wheel well, which is more aero and gives more room inside for legs and luggage and stuff?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 30 December, 2021, 01:52:52 pm »
And not setting your gloves on fire on a hot disc after reaching the T-junction at the bottom of DETH Hill  ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #28 on: 30 December, 2021, 03:39:56 pm »
You can’t adjust the pads for discs in a velomobile as the bodywork is in the way. You would have to remove the entire front suspension which is an hour and a half job that leaves you with skinned knuckles and new swear words. So no.

Drum brakes are fit and forget until the brake cable snaps (DAHIKT)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 30 December, 2021, 03:44:59 pm »
Hydraulic discs, then.  Which would no doubt require all sorts of propping-the-velomobile-nose-downwards type antics to bleed them.

It seems that drums (at least the 90mm ones) do the job well enough for most velomobile riders, so it's the simple option.

IIRC the Quattrovelo has disc brake(s) on the rear axle?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #30 on: 30 December, 2021, 03:47:04 pm »
But no real room to work on them is still the problem.

With open wheel arches then it is possible, but with my Milan it’s just not doable.

I know of one Strada with discs, no other velomobilist that I know took that decision.

I started with 70mm drums but had a few too many brown trouser moments so am now on 90mm. They can get hot though as there is no cooling. Some people have a pipe to drip water onto them for cooling purposes, but these people don’t live in the Rhine flatlands like me!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 30 December, 2021, 06:07:47 pm »
I recall Andy Wilkinson saying that when he broke the lap record for the Mountain Course on the Isle ov Man he had the (Sturmey-Archer drum) brakes hard on at 75 mph coming down TEH MNTN and the faired Windcheetah was still accelerating.  He refused to ride it again in anger until Cap'n Bob Dixon had figured out a way to fit it with GBFO Hope hydraulics.  I suspect Wilko is something of an outlier thobut…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 30 December, 2021, 06:18:13 pm »
I recall Andy Wilkinson saying that when he broke the lap record for the Mountain Course on the Isle ov Man he had the (Sturmey-Archer drum) brakes hard on at 75 mph coming down TEH MNTN and the faired Windcheetah was still accelerating.  He refused to ride it again in anger until Cap'n Bob Dixon had figured out a way to fit it with GBFO Hope hydraulics.  I suspect Wilko is something of an outlier thobut…

That sounds like a parachute would have been prudent.

« Reply #33 on: 30 December, 2021, 09:09:39 pm »
I've had that accelerating bike with brakes full on effect before.  A steep hill in south Cumbria with rim brakes and white knuckles I was squeezing the levers so hard. I burnt myself on the rims. Riding home after that hill my bike felt very unsteady and I never rode it again. Got a hydraulic disc braked hybrid instead. I think it just needs new wheels and the quill stem needs replacing on that old bike.

Knowing there's a near hairpin coming up with no sign the acceleration is going to switch to deceleration in time is quite scary. I stopped halfway up the hill the other side,  turned around and n still got to the bottom of the hill before the others. I got a right telling off from one lass in the group but the guys seemed to think I was just plain mad or fearless. If you survive it and still ride it's all good I reckon. The funny thing was you go calm in those situations as you're too busy making decisions and judgement calls in reaction to the speed and what's coming up. I've had that whitewater kayaking on a big rapid.