Author Topic: Welcome to Meta, in no way is it like Facebook  (Read 8802 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Welcome to Meta, in no way is it like Facebook
« on: 28 October, 2021, 07:46:32 pm »
Mark zuk changes his business to Meta, which is in no way an attempt to distance it from the toxicity that Facebook,is accumulating. No, it’s just a coincidence that he feels he needs to change one of the biggest names in software right now. Nothing to see here, move along now.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Welcome to Meta, in no way is it like Facebook
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2021, 08:24:16 pm »
Prediction:

People will still call it Facebook in 10 years time.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2021, 08:27:12 pm »
Oh, hang on, they're only changing the corporate name.  So it's a bit like how Alphabet isn't Google.

« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2021, 08:28:51 pm »
A floating turd still floats if you call it a shit.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2021, 08:47:59 pm »
Oh, hang on, they're only changing the corporate name.  So it's a bit like how Alphabet isn't Google.

Yes, thanks Kim, I was thinking that when I posted.
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2021, 08:54:40 pm »
Well the internet is having fun with the logo
(click to show/hide)
https://twitter.com/BonnyCl38464459/status/1453809024907030528
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 29 October, 2021, 09:41:28 am »
"You need to rebrand it" - Donald Trump to Boeing re 737 Max.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2021, 09:52:56 am »
To be honest, people can complain about them all they like, but they need to stop using their services. Which isn't happening, so whatever they're called, they'll continue to do what they want (given the reluctance of regulators to, erm, regulate).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 29 October, 2021, 10:03:02 am »
That^^^.  How about inciting as many folk as possible to extend the concept of Dry January to Facebook?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2021, 10:36:24 am »
That^^^.  How about inciting as many folk as possible to extend the concept of Dry January to Facebook?
Thats what I did and I haven’t been back since  :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2021, 11:23:40 am »
I did it in September, and since I went back I spend very little time there.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 29 October, 2021, 11:48:18 am »
I got booted off Farcebok around Easter 2020 and haven’t really missed it though I expect I'll have to sign up, possibly even using my own name, if the Battle Mountain event happens next year.  This may require elaborate subterfuge in the matter of IP addresses.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #12 on: 29 October, 2021, 12:01:02 pm »
I confess I still use WhatsApp, but I stopped FB some years ago and don't miss it.

I don't really know what the solution is to social media, but it all devolves into a cesspit of weoponized misinformation.

« Reply #13 on: 29 October, 2021, 12:11:03 pm »
I stopped usong facef*ck a couple or more years back and even went through the laborious and deliberately difficult process of deleting my account.  Now, folk tell me that in spite of my efforts my account still exists.  I'm not going to try and log in to prove it because the last thing I want is for facef*ck to consider me active once again.

I have also stopped using WhatsApp save for a few contacts whose tech isn't up to Signal, apparently.

I have also deleted my LinkedIn account recently.

Nothing else knowingly out there that I have set up or used.

This is my social meeja experience along with a few regular channels on yewchoob that I enjoy.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #14 on: 29 October, 2021, 12:27:04 pm »
It's a terrible rebrand.

So Facepalm had a couple of big problems when it came to public perception. People found the company's pervasiveness creepy (try deleting your account, and see what happens). And it appeared to do whatever it liked with their data. Facepalm was a data hoard for rent. That's how the company made money.

At first it was those who thought hard about the social effects of this technology who believed it was harmful; no surprise perhaps that Facepalm bosses were restricting the use of social media within their own families. It was just a matter of time before the data hoard was exploited by those attempting nothing less than to influence elections. Big problems.

In their rebrand, the people at Facepalm chose a name which means 'self-referential'. No doubt they imagine their new name is clever, that it has a kind of hipster-geek cool. But it reveals their isolation from society.

They're now designing new hardware that will extend the presence of the internet. This they call the metaverse. It's their vision of a more pervasive internet, with an internet of things, and a move beyond 2D screens. The effect will be a virtual world that's difficult to separate from the physical world. And of course it gives them more opportunities to harvest data. In the hands of this company, that's creepier than the creepiest stuff we've seen.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #15 on: 29 October, 2021, 12:29:24 pm »
Rachel Maddow talks about it here https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/facebook-joins-list-of-infamous-companies-hiding-behind-a-name-change-124885573752 Comparing it to others who tried to hide bad stuff behind a name change.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 29 October, 2021, 12:36:45 pm »
Fuck Off Facebook Fridays?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 29 October, 2021, 12:44:59 pm »
I confess I still use WhatsApp, but I stopped FB some years ago and don't miss it.

I don't really know what the solution is to social media, but it all devolves into a cesspit of weoponized misinformation.
We went through the arduous and not entirely successful process of getting Mrs Barakta's-Mum to install Zoom last night (which was a Mega-Global Fruit Co clusterfuck, but that's another story). As she failed to get it working on the MacBook or the iPad, she ended up on the same crappy iPhone she uses for WhatsApp. Shockingly, the AV sync was nevertheless perfect, with only one instance of Max Headroom audio, and no potatovision, which were both frequent problems with WhatsApp.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #18 on: 29 October, 2021, 02:13:58 pm »
Here's Nick and Mark talking about Meta - https://twitter.com/MrMichaelSpicer/status/1454072325054377987

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #19 on: 29 October, 2021, 02:17:46 pm »
To be honest, people can complain about them all they like, but they need to stop using their services. Which isn't happening, so whatever they're called, they'll continue to do what they want (given the reluctance of regulators to, erm, regulate).

Anyone got any experience with Mastodon?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 29 October, 2021, 03:02:00 pm »
In their rebrand, the people at Facepalm chose a name which means 'self-referential'. No doubt they imagine their new name is clever, that it has a kind of hipster-geek cool. But it reveals their isolation from society.

I reckon it's short for metastasis.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #21 on: 29 October, 2021, 07:17:53 pm »

I know a few people who use Mastodon, but it has the same TechBro libertarian problem and non-dealing with genuinely problematic content not being removed that other social medias have.

« Reply #22 on: 29 October, 2021, 08:14:21 pm »
It’s also a play on all the meta data they collect

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 29 October, 2021, 10:43:54 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Afasoas

« Reply #24 on: 29 October, 2021, 11:52:27 pm »

I know a few people who use Mastodon, but it has the same TechBro libertarian problem and non-dealing with genuinely problematic content not being removed that other social medias have.

I think it very much depends on which instance you join and the instances it federates with. I gave up on it.

I've always challenged my own views on gender/sexuality/class/race as to try and live without prejudice. I always sought to challenge prejudice whenever/whereever I recognise it.

I recognise I enjoy the privilege of being white and male but it is not something I want. I truly believe that whatever characteristics/traits a person has or however they identify should never deprive them of opportunity nor make the subject to hate. Neither should a person born to a particular gender, skin colour, in a particular country or to a particular social class etc. be at an advantage to anyone else.

All that said, I found the  opinions expressed on many of the instances I explored about cis-white-males, complete with graphic descriptions of violence, to be too much.

No one should ever have to experience hate like that, on any platform, irrespective of anything.