Author Topic: Filling in pit marks on sole caused by spd cleats  (Read 1422 times)

Filling in pit marks on sole caused by spd cleats
« on: 13 January, 2022, 01:17:56 am »
Pair of spd shoes with reinforced soles, is there something  I can use to fill in the pit marks left in the sole after tightening down the spd cleats ?

Re: Filling in pit marks on sole caused by spd cleats
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2022, 09:15:28 am »
why do you want to?

these should be covered by the cleats, unless you've had to make major adjustment.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2022, 09:43:57 am »
The pit marks make it harder to get the cleat exactly where you want it to sit when you are tightening them down. I was wondering if I put a thin layer of superglue over the pit marks in the area where the spd's bite the sole, would this firstly do the job and secondly, be safe ?

« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2022, 09:54:28 am »
The pit marks make it harder to get the cleat exactly where you want it to sit when you are tightening them down. I was wondering if I put a thin layer of superglue over the pit marks in the area where the spd's bite the sole, would this firstly do the job and secondly, be safe ?
If you have a soldering iron, you could use the heated tip to "straighten out" the pit marks/grooves, then start again with your re-alignment?

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2022, 10:00:05 am »

I've never had pit marks so deep that this would be a problem, although I can see how that would be the case.

Depends on what your shoe soles are made of. I would try De Sisti's suggestion, or, if you don't have a soldering iron, buff the marks very firmly with something smooth, like the handle of a butter knife.

I've had success smoothing out gouges on my rotomolded kayak with this method. It's a sort of combination of the friction heating and the smoothing pressure.
<i>Marmite slave</i>