Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1012810 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #5825 on: 29 May, 2021, 03:33:33 pm »
A magpie. Not in itself unusual, we do get them in our small (narrow) garden, but up to now always on the grass area about 15m from the back door, and only when we put meat scraps out. But yesterday, for the first time, one was on the patio about 3m from the back door, picking up spilt sunflower seed hearts from under the feeders.

Magpies are really fond of catfood. We always leave a bowl right before the back door for our cat. The cat always leave some bits in the bottom of the bowl, don't ask me why! It never takes long before the magpies come to finish the last bits.

A

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5826 on: 29 May, 2021, 04:32:47 pm »
A magpie. Not in itself unusual, we do get them in our small (narrow) garden, but up to now always on the grass area about 15m from the back door, and only when we put meat scraps out. But yesterday, for the first time, one was on the patio about 3m from the back door, picking up spilt sunflower seed hearts from under the feeders.
Magpies are really fond of catfood. We always leave a bowl right before the back door for our cat. The cat always leave some bits in the bottom of the bowl, don't ask me why! It never takes long before the magpies come to finish the last bits.
A

Next in the pecking order for cat food hereabouts are the foxes...

« Reply #5827 on: 30 May, 2021, 11:56:53 am »
Around 10am we spotted a Japanese Water deer strolling across the field at the end of our neighbours garden. And just now, a buzzard and a red kite quartering the shy together, the kite slightly higher than the buzzard. It’s great to see increasing numbers of buzzards, something we’ve only spotted for the last couple of years, in the 20 we’ve lived here. And yesterday our first pair of swift’s.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5828 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:43:36 pm »
A tern flew over the garden this arvo.

Waits...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5829 on: 30 May, 2021, 10:07:59 pm »
A

Next in the pecking order for cat food hereabouts are the foxes...

A few years ago, Jan and I were cycling through Den Haag, on the way to our nephew's wedding. It was about 9am as we had only recently alighted from the overnight ferry from Harwich.

A woman in a sari appeared and emptied a container full of surplus curry on the pavement beside the canal. Immediately a flock of herring gulls descended to eat the curry.

For a few seconds.

Then two herons appeared. The gulls left as rapidly as they had arrived.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5830 on: 01 June, 2021, 10:33:00 am »
Yesterday through the kitchen window a little mouse helping itself from the bird feeder on the drystone wall. Its a camera phone shot blown up so not brilliant quality.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5831 on: 01 June, 2021, 11:32:48 am »
A black legged lamb.

It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5832 on: 02 June, 2021, 10:56:55 am »
Scab!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5833 on: 03 June, 2021, 11:13:35 am »
Here's a better shot

« Reply #5834 on: 05 June, 2021, 11:34:37 am »
Jackdaw fledgling on the lawn this morning. Hilariously leggy and bumbling. Had it together enough to fly back into next doors big yew tree when our dog came sniffing around and its parents alarm called.

« Reply #5835 on: 05 June, 2021, 11:19:10 pm »
Not unusually a raptor - in this case I think a young buzzard - getting mobbed. Unusually it was by a gang of swallows.
Crows seem to be the usual mobbers. I've also seen jackdaws doing it - most often, in my experience, to kites.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5836 on: 06 June, 2021, 07:46:47 am »
Not unusually a raptor - in this case I think a young buzzard - getting mobbed. Unusually it was by a gang of swallows.
Crows seem to be the usual mobbers. I've also seen jackdaws doing it - most often, in my experience, to kites.
Rooks and lone Buzzards around these parts.
Are you sure about the crows? They do not usually appear in groups - 'crows don't crowd' - unlike rooks and jackdaws.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5837 on: 10 June, 2021, 09:08:37 am »
10 years ago I moved out of that there London, where I at times saw a fox daily. Cause we had a family the the bushes right across from the front door for most of that time down there.

Since then while living in these rural bits outside M25 I haven't seen one. And I have been where the wild things are both hiking, camping and cycling.

Until the weekend just gone. While walking across the moor I saw one legging it across the moor away from us, sadly way to fast in the high heather to be able to get a snap of it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5838 on: 11 June, 2021, 12:28:58 pm »
I was awoken in the night by the loud sounds associated with young foxes. i didn't get out of bed to check, but I think they were in the road immediately outside.

« Reply #5839 on: 12 June, 2021, 11:06:28 am »
Isolated crows chasing magpies all over the place and even under a parked car.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5840 on: 12 June, 2021, 11:32:27 am »
Yesterday whilst strolling around the park, I noticed something a bit splashy happening in the water. It turned out to be copulating tench. Actually, copulating involves a couple. This was definitely an orgy with about half a dozen fish involved by my estimate. I did video the event but you are all too young.

In other news, I have seen 4 dead eels in the park lake this week. That is most unusual. Other fish seem to be OK.

« Reply #5841 on: 15 June, 2021, 10:20:55 am »
10 years ago I moved out of that there London, where I at times saw a fox daily. Cause we had a family the the bushes right across from the front door for most of that time down there.

Since then while living in these rural bits outside M25 I haven't seen one. And I have been where the wild things are both hiking, camping and cycling.

Country foxes are mush more wary of humans than urban foxes. Probably something to do with shotguns and hounds. I've lived here 25 years and never seen a fox in or near the village though when we kept chickens I would find fox prints round the run in the morning if it had snowed. Very occasionally on a night I might pick up one in the headlights crossing the road but that's it. We hear them in the mating season though.
On the other hand outside our datacentre in the middle of Birmingham I have watched several foxes on a night when I was having a break and once at a motorway services one followed me across the car park and tried to steal my burger (kept jumping and snapping at the bag).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5842 on: 15 June, 2021, 11:10:23 am »
Beautiful sunny morning, but I spotted a Storm Cock in the park.  Bugger.

On foxes. I've had the same experience moving from Brum to West Wales. It went from several a week to maybe one a year.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5843 on: 15 June, 2021, 01:37:38 pm »
On Sunday, a stoat. First for a few years.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5844 on: 16 June, 2021, 10:50:21 am »
A greenfinch on the bird feeder. A rarity these days.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5845 on: 17 June, 2021, 12:15:11 am »
A damselfly?

« Reply #5846 on: 17 June, 2021, 08:35:12 am »
Agrion Splendens - male, I think.
Alastair Humphreys mentioned these on his blog a couple of days ago  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #5847 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:26:09 pm »
Rooks and lone Buzzards around these parts.
Are you sure about the crows? They do not usually appear in groups - 'crows don't crowd' - unlike rooks and jackdaws.
Crows are the usual harrassers, but yes, not in gangs. Mostly alone, sometimes in pairs.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5848 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:30:18 pm »
Green woodpecker digging holes with its beak in & pecking at a lawn outside Microsoft's offices in Reading. I presume it had found an ants nest.

Several young rabbits, one fairly freshly dead, with no obvious sign of illness or injury. Maybe caught by a pet dog. A fox would have carted it away for dinner.

« Reply #5849 on: 19 June, 2021, 10:49:00 pm »