Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2454693 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6950 on: 22 February, 2014, 08:57:03 am »
Thanks for trying the guards. I'm worried it might not suit my need now!  Why sell a bike with 35s and mudguard fittings when they don't fit! I doubt they'd fit with the studs, they look much wider and higher than the 35s. No doubt it'll be fine with road 35s though but I need it have studs and guard capability too :( I'll be keeping an eye out for updated pics.

Setting up on the turbo is cheating, you have to go out for a few hours and see where the aches and pains start to develop :D it's nice today so go play!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6951 on: 22 February, 2014, 12:59:26 pm »
Oooh ... I almost forgot.

Heeeeeere's Pugsley! (now with gears - I must be going soft ;) )

Having balked at riding my 'usual' off-road loop on the Fortitude fixed on account of the mud being nearly hub deep in places, I think Pugsley's going to be getting a lot of use in the near future.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6952 on: 22 February, 2014, 05:03:08 pm »
Interzen

My guess : You still have a great big grin on your face after riding it........  ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6953 on: 22 February, 2014, 05:19:36 pm »
Interzen

My guess : You still have a great big grin on your face after riding it........  ;D
Oh God, yes.
The great thing about fat-bikes is that riding them is Type 1 Fun1 even when cycling as a whole feels more like Type 3 Fun (and boy, I've had a lot of that recently)

1 - http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2011/09/definitions-of-fun-2/

« Reply #6954 on: 22 February, 2014, 05:30:57 pm »
Yay, Pugsley lives! :thumbsup:

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #6955 on: 22 February, 2014, 07:01:39 pm »
Have Brommies got funky brake levers now or are they custom jobs?

They are the ones that came with it, I think they changed the brake levers last year link.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6956 on: 23 February, 2014, 11:43:09 am »
Interzen

I'm missing not having a fatbike at the moment, especially in these conditions. Sold my Pugsley in the autumn to fund the new one. Hopefully be fat again by March

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6957 on: 24 February, 2014, 07:42:15 am »
Have Brommies got funky brake levers now or are they custom jobs?

They are the ones that came with it, I think they changed the break levers last year link.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #6958 on: 28 February, 2014, 11:29:08 am »

2013 Whyte 901, with some extras (800mm Kore bars, X9 shifters, Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels, 200mm rotors F&R, tubeless 2.2" tyres and a Reverb). First MTB in 9 years. I shall be riding it like a hooligan until I break myself.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #6959 on: 22 March, 2014, 05:50:51 pm »
New addition to the stable - my new "best bike", an early birthday present to myself a it's the big three-zero this year:

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #6960 on: 23 March, 2014, 08:11:46 am »

1939 Claud Butler, for the Vintage Velo Anjou this year.

« Reply #6961 on: 23 March, 2014, 07:15:53 pm »
I can't remember whether I've posted a picture of the not-Tifosi before, but since it's had various changed bits and was almost clean this morning, here's the current incarnation in audax mode:

(Yes, I really should cut down that steerer. One day I'll get round to it! :facepalm:)

« Reply #6962 on: 23 March, 2014, 07:24:45 pm »
I think there's a spoke reflector slightly out of alignment ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6963 on: 23 March, 2014, 07:28:09 pm »

Handlebars Shoreditch circa 2011.
Getting there...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6964 on: 23 March, 2014, 07:30:41 pm »

This is fascinating and possibly* lovely.

75 years old and it looks in very good condition. Resprayed? Magic beans?

By clicking on the link I see two things:

1. something funny going on above the headset - what is that?
2. zero space between tyre and crown. I usually assume anything before 1970 (ish) has something other than 700 wheels (29"?), so that 'modern' wheels look small. What's the story, M57?

*I'm quite colour-blind. I think it's lovely, but people have made it clear that I am sometimes wrong about this. However, these days, I say screw them.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6965 on: 23 March, 2014, 07:41:59 pm »
Very laid back seat angle.
*I'm quite colour-blind. I think it's lovely, but people have made it clear that I am sometimes wrong about this. However, these days, I say screw them.
In this case, you're right.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Moose57

« Reply #6966 on: 23 March, 2014, 07:50:42 pm »

This is fascinating and possibly* lovely.

75 years old and it looks in very good condition. Resprayed? Magic beans?

By clicking on the link I see two things:

1. something funny going on above the headset - what is that?
2. zero space between tyre and crown. I usually assume anything before 1970 (ish) has something other than 700 wheels (29"?), so that 'modern' wheels look small. What's the story, M57?

The clamp above the head set is for the stem and above it has the adjusting nut for the bearing, completely original.

The bike came with 26" wheels which were shot. Early Butlers were available with a 27" wheel option so I got a new set made up. I suspect though if you had ordered one with 27" wheels they would have made the front forks longer. I have just got away with it I think but we will have to see how it rides.

The paint had completely bloomed but was originally been this colour I have just had the red panels added for a bit of interest. Resprayed by a magician with magic beans.

I am going to fit it with modern parts that are as close to the original as possible just so I can start riding it, but nothing I do will require modifying the frame which apart from the respray is completely original. If it works for me I will source more original parts at my leisure.

Moose57

« Reply #6967 on: 23 March, 2014, 07:54:43 pm »

Shows Frame geometry better.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6968 on: 23 March, 2014, 08:49:10 pm »
(Hmm, did I mean 27, not 29?)

I'm surprised to hear that it came with 26" wheels, but I'm no historian. Likewise the headset clamp is new to me but again, that's probably just ignorance on my part.

The seat tube looks very laid back, but the forks are my favourite. I love that curve.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6969 on: 23 March, 2014, 08:57:39 pm »
Our Rudge Pathfinder (1951) came with 26" wheels.
Getting there...

Moose57

« Reply #6970 on: 23 March, 2014, 08:59:21 pm »
(Hmm, did I mean 27, not 29?)

I'm surprised to hear that it came with 26" wheels, but I'm no historian. Likewise the headset clamp is new to me but again, that's probably just ignorance on my part.

The seat tube looks very laid back, but the forks are my favourite. I love that curve.

Better pic of headset clamp, the upper bearing race of the top steerer bearing sat in the bottom of this.

Bike as bought.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6971 on: 24 March, 2014, 07:20:38 am »

Strokey strokey nice :P

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #6972 on: 24 March, 2014, 09:34:27 am »
216km from Marsh Gibbon

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6973 on: 24 March, 2014, 11:16:35 am »
As the gallery is feeling retro

The 1948 Percy Thornton Stallard 'Montlhery' is currently enjoying the smoothness of itself with a black saddle. The Gatorskins' logos are doin' me 'ead in though :sick:

Moose57

« Reply #6974 on: 24 March, 2014, 04:36:13 pm »

Strokey strokey nice :P

I do hope I don't balls it up.