Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2454953 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7675 on: 15 April, 2015, 04:37:06 pm »
It does look good. :thumbsup:
interzen, what are the pedals please?
On-One El Guapo flats - surprisingly light, very grippy and less bulky (and cheaper) than Saint MX80s

ETA: These: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/PEEGDPP/el-guapo-delgado-pro-pedal

« Reply #7676 on: 15 April, 2015, 04:44:40 pm »
I think you should keep a daffodil in the steerer.

« Reply #7677 on: 15 April, 2015, 04:49:09 pm »
Never mind the bike, is that a new fence?!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7678 on: 15 April, 2015, 07:53:31 pm »
Never mind the bike, is that a new fence?!
Yep, the fence between me and next door (and a large portion of my shed roof) finally succumbed to a storm late last year, although it didn't get replaced until early February. On the plus side, the folks who put the fence up did a decent job of it (including properly set 4"x4" posts rather than the oversized toothpicks the last lot used)

All of which reminds me that the fence needs fettling with some appropriate goop now that the weather has settled down a bit.

fuzzy

« Reply #7679 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:05:50 pm »
Love the bike, love the spray tan, not too sure about CGI Marmite thobut......

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #7680 on: 16 April, 2015, 10:48:34 am »

Would you say you love it, or hate it? ;D ;D ;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7681 on: 16 April, 2015, 01:18:27 pm »
Mad Photoshop1 skillz, innit?

1 - well, GIMP.

fuzzy

« Reply #7682 on: 16 April, 2015, 01:37:13 pm »

Would you say you love it, or hate it? ;D ;D ;D

Gotta be Hate It. Can't be doing with Not Real Marmite (or, at a push- shops own yeast extract). Marmite has got to be real, in the flesh, stunt extract.

« Reply #7683 on: 17 April, 2015, 03:23:47 pm »
Why? It was annoying me too ;)

Nice bike

« Reply #7684 on: 17 April, 2015, 05:45:01 pm »
What did you spread the Marmite with to get the colour so even?   :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #7685 on: 17 April, 2015, 05:55:51 pm »
Could you not cut the steerer and shorten the brake hoses while you're at it, Ham?  Save interzen the effort and all.

« Reply #7686 on: 17 April, 2015, 06:17:58 pm »
Cut steerer tubes are overrated (says she who's been meaning to cut the steerer tube on one bike for, ooh, two years? ::-)).

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7687 on: 17 April, 2015, 07:35:57 pm »
Could you not cut the steerer and shorten the brake hoses while you're at it, Ham?  Save interzen the effort and all.
Don't forget the fence - you can use the remains of the Marmite on it, it's about the same colour as dark oak wood preservative (and probably cheaper too)

« Reply #7688 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:13:59 pm »
So right

My parting gift before disappearing for three weeks

« Reply #7689 on: 20 April, 2015, 08:47:52 am »
Picked up my new brompton yesterday. Feels pretty comfy to ride.

« Reply #7690 on: 27 April, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »
upgraded the tourer ready for my JOGLE went for the full works  ;D was 44-34-22 / 13-15-17-20-23-26-30 changed now too 44-34-22/ 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-28 32 (old legs need a bit help)  ;)  105 shifters- front mech and rear mech xt deore chainset and chain and mavic wheels A139 deore hubs 36 spoked f/r ..  :) :)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7691 on: 28 April, 2015, 08:25:54 am »
That looks lovely Larry x
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #7692 on: 02 May, 2015, 07:38:16 pm »
Not mine, but there being two vintage bikes and a pot of the yeasty stuff in the same office proved too big a temptation.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7693 on: 02 May, 2015, 08:48:33 pm »
Skirt guard! Of the sensible, non-wind resisty variety.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7694 on: 02 May, 2015, 09:06:20 pm »
Top use of string  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7695 on: 03 May, 2015, 10:55:19 am »
my current commuter which temporarily replaces the stolen one. a bit of a frankenbike, cobbled together from the parts from spares box to make it rideable. ss wheels with rear mech as a chain tensioner.

Relayer

« Reply #7696 on: 04 May, 2015, 08:12:05 am »

Nice! I've always had a hankering to get one of those.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #7697 on: 04 May, 2015, 06:35:31 pm »
SpringBates by JuanM58, on Flickr

SpringBates2 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Back in the autumn I visited a fellow V-CC member to take a look at his bikes. Whilst looking at his Ron Cooper built Bates I mentioned that I had always fancied owning one and, what a coincidence, he had a Best All Rounder frame for sale. I had actually seen the frame on EBay a few months beforehand and nearly called him as I knew he was local; I wasn’t aware it was his. Well, after a bit of a chat the deal was done it was mine. I have been building it up through the winter with parts from various sources, mainly jumbles and EBay. Although the frame dates from the late ‘50s (Bates numbers are sequential so it’s difficult to be precise) it looks as if has been updated perhaps in the ‘80s with Campag rear drop outs with hanger, a cable stop under the chainstay and cable guides beneath the BB. I chose to disregard these and set it up as far as possible with period components.

The wheels are 27” Wolber Super Champion rims on Campagolo NT LF hubs with Sapim plain gauge spokes and a Regina 14-23 5--speed block. I built these up for general running about on the lousy road surfaces that we have round here; I have a nice pair of wheels with Airlite hubs for best. The steel stem is Titan as are the alloy Maes bars. GB Coureur callipers are fitted with GB Superhood levers. The headset is Stronglight from a recent jumble at Ripley as was the Lycett Swallow saddle. I managed to get hold of some repro mudguard bolts which are unique to Bates frames; these were sourced via EBay. The Campagnolo GS derailleur is fitted with an ‘open C’ band-on lever, whatever the significance of that is. The Solida 5-pin cranks came from the small ads in the V-CC mag and the 49T TA ring from EBay, as were the Lyotard pedals. Skinny 19mm amber wall tyres are from EBay and marked Made in Yugoslavia, but look to be in pretty good nick.

It took me a good while to settle it down. The chain kept wanting to run off the two larger sprockets and after much fiddling about altering the chainline to little avail I eventually tightened a 12” shifter around the derailleur and gave the whole thing a gentle tweak…and that sorted that; perhaps the hanger was twisted or something. The handling felt very twitchy to begin with but this has improved greatly with the replacement of the original modern headset with the Stronglight although I suspect the main problem was the cables dragging on the bars, hence the cable tie. The ride is quite lively and taut, quite a modern feel compared to my other vintage rides. The main reason for this is the ‘Cantiflex’ frame tubes which are wider in section in the middle than at the ends. This means that the tubes are stiffer than tubes of a smaller diameter, but that conventional lugs can be used. It looks to me as if it has been slightly inflated, like a balloon animal. I am not sure what difference the double curve ‘Diadrant’ forks make, 5% better pointability perhaps; I suspect that it was mainly marketing, setting the Bates apart from the conventional frames rather like the vibrant stays of a Hetchins. I am looking forward to getting out on a few runs through the summer but I guess that I am going to have to start looking out for a new project now.

With thanks to MarkT for sorting me out with a replacement rear hub when I stripped the thread on the original by the sheer power of my mighty Hoyesque legs. 

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7698 on: 05 May, 2015, 09:02:45 am »

Is that the "Mini O" bag?

I've been very tempted to get one.  It looks like a really useful size. 
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #7699 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:05:27 am »
Yep its a "mini-O", same size as "ORTLIEB Ultimate 6 Classic 7 litre ", in fact basically same bag. I have one that I use a lot and it is a handy size indeed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24775321@N02/4877132784/in/set-72157616497859236