Author Topic: Kent Hop Garden 200 10 May  (Read 7102 times)

Re: Kent Hop Garden 200 10 May
« Reply #25 on: 13 May, 2009, 11:21:48 pm »

I remember last time I went to Iden Herbs for a control, I started wondering just how far down that driveway one had to cycle.

Does anybody know if the foreign sounding chap (German/Austrian type accent, very bright flashing front and rear lights) found it?   I met him just after the first control, that he'd missed, and sent him back up the hill*.  Then he bounced WOW while I was eating my chips.

* On leaving me he started heading towards oncoming traffic, then swore at the memory as to the side of the road we use, before swerving through traffic back to the left  ;D

If you mean the chap on the yellow Airnimal, yes he was sitting at the same table as me when you bike went over ...

I think he is from the Netherlands ... possibly Martin Hilbers (deduced from rides where I have seen him before)

I was indeed out on my yellow airnimal, but I was just before the first control overtaken by him (flashing lights, germanish accent - definitely not dutch), so unless I had a weird out of body experience, with a simultaneous language shift, It could not have been me :)

« Reply #26 on: 13 May, 2009, 11:58:30 pm »
Hi Fietser  :thumbsup:

That was an excellent idea you had, suggesting I request a tunnel under that last nasty climb  ;D

and yes, it was definitely not you that I was wondering about :D   I think you're describing the same chap as I was.

Out of interest, are you based in the UK, or did you (and possibly him) pop over for the day on the Eurostar?  I was wondering whether rides like this, conveniently located, attracted riders from further afield.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #27 on: 14 May, 2009, 07:05:25 am »
I was indeed out on my yellow airnimal, but I was just before the first control overtaken by him (flashing lights, germanish accent - definitely not dutch), so unless I had a weird out of body experience, with a simultaneous language shift, It could not have been me :)

My Apologies! .... But at least I now know who YOU are!   ;D
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #28 on: 14 May, 2009, 01:14:43 pm »
Out of interest, are you based in the UK, or did you (and possibly him) pop over for the day on the Eurostar?  I was wondering whether rides like this, conveniently located, attracted riders from further afield.

I reckon Fietser is UK based as my average speed is about 0.25 km/h faster but I'm more prone to wrong turns and faffing at controls leading to us regularly passing each other on almost every Essex/Suffolk/Kent based audax ride for the last year.

Hi Fietser, we had a chat going up the hill in the Ashdown forest on this ride.

« Reply #29 on: 14 May, 2009, 07:00:53 pm »

As leeg correctly deducted, I live in the UK (Cambridge actually) - The Hop Garden is a nice ride, but I don't think it is something I would hop over for from the Netherlands...

« Reply #30 on: 11 May, 2021, 02:08:30 pm »
That was an enjoyable route, and super controls. I found Romney Marsh rather testing. Noticeable difference in the quality of road surface on the way down (terrible) compared to last half. Anyone else get mauled by midges or something? Am covered in bites, the bastards.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M2ww9tSnFkB6KPW6A

« Reply #31 on: 11 May, 2021, 02:28:33 pm »
Thread necromancy!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #32 on: 11 May, 2021, 06:15:52 pm »
Anyone else get mauled by midges or something? Am covered in bites, the bastards.

Yes, I had a collection off little red bites up my legs on Sunday evening. At least they weren't itchy though and have gone down quickly.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #33 on: 11 May, 2021, 09:25:06 pm »
Anyone else get mauled by midges or something? Am covered in bites, the bastards.

They were in droves under the tree canopy on Birling Hill.  I found several under my helmet and inside my jersey on the train home  :o

Fantastic route helped by the better-than-expected weather.  The tri-bars certainly helped on the outward and flatlands sections.

Many thanks to the ACME orgs.
The sound of one pannier flapping