Author Topic: Cortege Etiquette  (Read 3756 times)

Chris S

Cortege Etiquette
« on: 14 May, 2009, 05:09:17 pm »
Out for a lunchtime blast around the lanes, and came across a funeral cortege passing through our village - complete with black-robed walker swinging a long staff, leading the cars.

I pulled into the side of the road and let them pass by. So did a line of cars behind me.

But it occurred to me, I didn't have a clue what the correct etiquette is. Should I doff my Buff? Hide behind a hedge and genuflect manically? Recite "Never laugh when a hearse goes by"?

I'm not a religious person, but I would like to respect those recently deceased - as well as those grieving.

Zoidburg

Re: Cortege Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2009, 05:10:40 pm »
Remove head dress.

Look down slightly in melancholic manner.

That is all.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2009, 05:13:18 pm »
Some idiot on a club run a few years ago actually cut through a cortege  >:(

He was scolded afterwards...but he was the club captain FFS

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2009, 05:14:20 pm »
Some idiot on a club run a few years ago actually cut through a cortege  >:(

He was scolded afterwards...but he was the club captain FFS
Was it you?

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
Not especially helpful or mature

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2009, 05:22:41 pm »
Hats off and stand  to attention.

Stand straight with the bicycle on your right side, both hands on the handlebars.
I have actually in the past had to sit up to attention on a bike while working as a runner around the depot.

There is a drill for when you are driving as well.

;D

gordon taylor

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2009, 05:42:19 pm »
I stop if a cortege is around.

fuzzy

« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2009, 05:52:21 pm »
Hats off and stand  to attention.

Stand straight with the bicycle on your right side, both hands on the handlebars.
I have actually in the past had to sit up to attention on a bike while working as a runner around the depot.

There is a drill for when you are driving as well.

;D

Military etiquette is wonderful isn't it? I got a bolloking for puking up after a CFT (a tad too much beer the night before) because I was not at attention. Those who were at attention were left to chunder in peace.

« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2009, 05:57:55 pm »
I once had a holiday in the Hebrides and we had to catch a ferry from Stornoway from our rented cottage on the West Coast of Lewis.
We got stuck behind a long line of cars doing 20 mph on mainly single track roads, time was going to be tight and I overtake furiously at every opportunity, every passing place and short straight, drove like a maniac. :demon:
We got to the front of the queue to find a hearse. :-[
We left Harris/Lewis that day, never to return.
Lucky to get home alive despite the curses of the wee Free.
Yikes, my most toe curling excrucuatingly embarassing moment ever.

« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2009, 06:00:35 pm »
In County Clare in Ireland once. There was a funeral, which came past all the pubs in the village. Pub stops serving, and everyone goes outside to stand silent as the cortege goes past.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2009, 09:55:06 pm »

Military etiquette is wonderful isn't it? I got a bolloking for puking up after a CFT (a tad too much beer the night before) because I was not at attention. Those who were at attention were left to chunder in peace.

Do they then get a bollocking for dribbling chunder down the front of their uniforms, or were they chundering so hard it missed them?

I was brought up to stand still and wait for a cortege to pass. I don't remember seeing anyone do that in recent years.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

fuzzy

« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:10:36 pm »

Do they then get a bollocking for dribbling chunder down the front of their uniforms, or were they chundering so hard it missed them?

Some of us Military types have chundering down to a fine art. I often recount a skill involving a good mate.  Andy had got so pissed off with buying new shoes to replace those he ruined on a frequent basis by splattering them with chunder that he set himself a mission- on demand projectile vomiting. He practiced by getting regularly wrecked (not a hardship, trust me) and then, when warning signals of iminant chunder were felt, he would work his stomach to project. He perfected this to the extent that he would, at the onset of the signals, walk into the road, stand with his toes against the front offside wheel of a parked car and hurl onto the pavement on the other side of the bonnet, which would remain chunder free. A sight to behold :o The drawback was that the force of the hurl could have unpleasant side effects, like the time, during adventure training at Tenby that he ejected a thumb length full diameter section of COMPO sausage through his nostril. he was in pain for hours ;D

« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:43:31 pm »
Some of us Military types have chundering down to a fine art. I often recount a skill involving a good mate.  Andy had got so pissed off with buying new shoes to replace those he ruined on a frequent basis by splattering them with chunder that he set himself a mission- on demand projectile vomiting. He practiced by getting regularly wrecked (not a hardship, trust me) and then, when warning signals of iminant chunder were felt, he would work his stomach to project. He perfected this to the extent that he would, at the onset of the signals, walk into the road, stand with his toes against the front offside wheel of a parked car and hurl onto the pavement on the other side of the bonnet, which would remain chunder free. A sight to behold :o The drawback was that the force of the hurl could have unpleasant side effects, like the time, during adventure training at Tenby that he ejected a thumb length full diameter section of COMPO sausage through his nostril. he was in pain for hours ;D

"Never in the field of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few."

:)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:02:43 pm »
Remove head dress.

Look down slightly in melancholic manner.

That is all.

That's what I'd do. We don't seem to pay quite the respect ScumOfTheRoad describes any more. It's probably a pity.

« Reply #14 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:23:20 pm »
I would say there used to be/still is the presumption that all dead people lived wholesome and good lives and/or were significant enough to one or more others to pay respect to their passing.  And 'death' itself rather than those who had died was being marked.  Maybe.

Zoidburg

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2009, 02:42:45 pm »

I was brought up to stand still and wait for a cortege to pass. I don't remember seeing anyone do that in recent years.
Once you come to a halt and the position of attention you "stand still, right or wrong"

Your trousers could have fallen down around your ankles leaving your wedding tackle to flap around in the breeze in full view of a passing gaggle of female sixth formers but it would still not be the done thing to correct yourself without permission.

ChrisO

« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:32:36 pm »
complete with black-robed walker swinging a long staff, leading the cars.

Yes solemn uncovered-head standing would be appropriate although this may depend on the nature of one's cycling clothing - Lycra may be mostly black but is seldom seem at the graveside.

Your bulging lunchbox may be of interest to an attractive young widow or indeed some of the more curious aunts and assorted relatives but possibly at a more appropriate time.

And standing in full view of the procession wearing a Skeleton jersey would probably be one of those moments to forget etiquette and leave by the shortest direct route.

Zoidburg

« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:49:31 pm »
complete with black-robed walker swinging a long staff, leading the cars.

Yes solemn uncovered-head standing would be appropriate although this may depend on the nature of one's cycling clothing - Lycra may be mostly black but is seldom seem at the graveside.

Your bulging lunchbox may be of interest to an attractive young widow or indeed some of the more curious aunts and assorted relatives but possibly at a more appropriate time.

And standing in full view of the procession wearing a Skeleton jersey would probably be one of those moments to forget etiquette and leave by the shortest direct route.

I always cycle wearing a black cowl and carrying a scythe.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:55:26 pm »
When we buried my father, as an ex sar'n't major it was with a level of military honours, including a Union flag over his coffin. We passed a school crossing superintendent (lollipop man...) who was clearly ex-services. He stood to attention and saluted my father's coffin.
I was very touched by his gesture. A simple gesture of respect by a stranger can make a funeral more bearable for the family and friends. Never demean such acts.

« Reply #19 on: 15 May, 2009, 04:51:21 pm »
Attitudes change with times. Everyone used to stop, but it's not always appropriate now, think dual carriageways etc. I still try to show an appropriate respect, but maybe that's my age.

I am reminded though:

A member of my cycling club died, and the family asked for the cortege to be followed to the crematorium by a group of his friends on their bikes in club kit.

They ended up lined out at 30mph! 

As they entered the gates at least one rider went for the sprint against the hearse - the deceased would have loved it!

Also

A group of cyclists out on their regular  run came across a cortege. They slowed down, and one stopped and took off his hat.

When the cortege had passed one of his colleagues remarked favourably on his showing of respect.

"Well, she was a pretty good wife all told" he replied

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #20 on: 15 May, 2009, 04:53:57 pm »
Many of us attended a funeral in Stockport a little while ago. The hearse driver understood, and lifted his speed a bit for us to ride at a "reasonable" pace. It was a bloody good send-off.