Author Topic: What to wear?  (Read 4734 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
What to wear?
« on: 04 June, 2009, 02:57:05 pm »
There's a rumour that I might be playing on some benty contraption this weekend - first time, so are there any obvious "do's" and "don't's" on the wardrobe front?  Bike shorts or no?  Need for gloves?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: What to wear?
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2009, 03:04:57 pm »
You can wear pretty much standard bike kit on a 'bent if you want to.  Obviously, back pockets are no use to you any more.  Gloves are definitely still A Good Thing, though.

I tend to avoid padded bike shorts, but if your best riding kit involves a pad, it's not going to cause any problems.  I tend to prefer sporty knickers and unpadded tights.  Or you can wear baggies with regular pants.

The main thing to remember is that waterproofs behave differently on a 'bent.  Your back will sweat more (even on a mesh seat) and you could end up with a pool of rainwater in your lap if it crashes it down.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tim

« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2009, 03:06:01 pm »
Gloves - if it is cold or you plan on crashing (if the benty contraption has three wheels there is really no need).

Shorts - I generally wear baggy three-quarters and normal underwear (underwear which is slightly supportive helps otherwise you'll be flapping around). If you want to wear something tighter look to your running wardrobe if you have running lycra that'll do fine. Actually running gear is pretty ideal as it doesn't have pockets on the back.

Oh and if you generally carry things on your pockets you'll have to have a think about it - cycle jersey pockets are useless in the circumstances and stuff falls out of unzipped pockets on trousers/shorts.

(Mostly what Charlotte said, but I thought I might as well leave my words now I've typed them).

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2009, 03:08:15 pm »
No kilts  :hand:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »
Kilts - not recommended

Short Shorts - No.  Especially not if 'commando' :o :hand:
Getting there...

byegad

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2009, 05:10:47 pm »
Side pockets on trousers can be useless. The first time I sat on a 'bent I emptied my loose change on the road.

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2009, 07:02:37 pm »
I use Altura shorts normally because the zip pockets are useful but with the Trice I'm finding ordinary zip off trousers are fine. I don't usually carry anything in the pockets. I chuck it all in a bum bag and clip that to the back of the 'bent.

I have discovered, painfully, that underpants comfort is related to seat type.
On my Bacchetta the only underpants that don't cut me in half are lycra undershorts (from which I've removed the pad), but on my Trice (mesh seat) any underpants are fine with Paramo Cambria being particularly comfortable.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2009, 07:11:46 pm »
I've heard that stinging things can fly up forward-facing baggy short legs.

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2009, 07:20:59 pm »
I've heard that stinging things can fly up forward-facing baggy short legs.

I've heard that too, but decided to ignore it in favour of close fitting underpants. It's like punctures; much talked about but hardly ever happens  :D
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2009, 08:36:16 pm »
1. Wear gloves, as most have twist grips in a vertical position so you are changing with the heel of the hand which is more tender than the normal area

2. Wear non-flappy trousers or shorts as there can be a tendency to rub against chains, or can catch on the brake / bar levers, and as above zipped or sealed pockets to retain your personal possessions

3. Check any clothing for rear zips as pocket zips or the likes as these are capable of tearing or damaging seat materials.

4. Have fun whatever you choose!

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2009, 08:57:01 am »
I find baggy shorts/trousers can inflate embarrassingly, so tend to stick with normal close-fitting cycling clothing.

If you have them, elbow pads can be a good idea for fending of the ground and/or close-passing cars!  :demon:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2009, 09:48:38 am »
Dang, my pads are in the van, which is playing NAAFI for the Exodus this weekend.  Hummers, lifa, gloves.  Sorted. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2009, 09:48:47 am »
No kilts  :hand:

Kilts - not recommended

Short Shorts - No.  Especially not if 'commando' :o :hand:

Ex-squeeze me...

But I've worn a kilt on a recumbent.  You just have to tuck carefully.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2009, 09:50:04 am »
Dang, my pads are in the van, which is playing NAAFI for the Exodus this weekend.  Hummers, lifa, gloves.  Sorted. :thumbsup:
And how, pray, do you intend to wear Hummers?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:07:33 am »
Normal bike kit over here.  I've got a handful of recumbent-specific jerseys without back pockets, though if the seat is narrow, you can still use the outer pockets on a normal jersey for Stuffs like cleat covers.

But not keys, or bananas.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:13:21 am »
And how, pray, do you intend to wear Hummers?

*sits on hands*

*contemplates unicorns*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2009, 11:24:10 pm »
Normal bike kit over here.  I've got a handful of recumbent-specific jerseys without back pockets, though if the seat is narrow, you can still use the outer pockets on a normal jersey for Stuffs like cleat covers.

But not keys, or bananas.

Also good for one's gentleman's pocket handkerchief

« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2009, 08:35:21 am »
Even with baggies and conventional trousers, I found pocket to not be a lot of use on recumbetns.  Obviously they keep their contents if zipped, but the natural "hang" of pockets is the wrong direction, so I tended to find any contents of a significant mass (eg a wallet) to be uncomfortable.

Otherwise I used to wear conventional cycling kits.

I think there used to be a US company who did recumbent specific clothing.  I think the jerseys had their pockets on the front.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2009, 12:19:53 pm »
Quite a few of the recumbentites at York seemed to be wearing fisherman/shooting gilets...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

robbo6

« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2009, 01:00:11 pm »
...I think there used to be a US company who did recumbent specific clothing.  I think the jerseys had their pockets on the front.
Recumbent  - Kucharik

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #20 on: 15 August, 2009, 11:48:13 am »
New on this part of the forum but not new to bents.
So though I would add my thoughts on shorts,
Got rugby type skins from Cotton Traders , there brill , no room for bee,s or wasps?

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #21 on: 19 August, 2009, 11:09:01 am »
Tights for you yer big girly!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

recumbentim

« Reply #22 on: 19 August, 2009, 10:01:30 pm »
Thats not me?

recumbentim

« Reply #23 on: 20 August, 2009, 06:39:38 pm »
THATS ME IN THE AVITAR and my recu bent . If I cant meet Danielle .I would like to meet Charlotte.
Will wear thights?

recumbentim

« Reply #24 on: 20 August, 2009, 06:57:21 pm »
No seriously doin a 600 k Audax DIY fri,  sat and got a 1 am  a feels like 7 degrees temp  in Aberdeen.
Will I go for 4 or 3 layers?