Author Topic: Anyone ever ridden an asymmetric trike?  (Read 3815 times)

Anyone ever ridden an asymmetric trike?
« on: 29 April, 2008, 03:56:32 pm »
I was idly flipping through a book of bicycle history, when I found a picture of the Rudge 'Coventry' asymmetric tandem trike.  Google reveals that they were also produced in the single-seater version, and I rather fancy a go on one.  Here's a photo of one in use

Apart from the fact that they look silly, is there any reason you don't see this design around any more?

Treewheeler

Re: Anyone ever ridden an asymmetric trike?
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:48:40 pm »
Not built for speed or handling abilities.
 It's just an evolutionary step really.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:51:06 pm »
...but an elegant one.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:52:35 pm »
It should help keep you out of the gutter; just don't take it to France.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:41:35 am »
I was idly flipping through a book of bicycle history, when I found a picture of the Rudge 'Coventry' asymmetric tandem trike.  Google reveals that they were also produced in the single-seater version, and I rather fancy a go on one.  Here's a photo of one in use

Apart from the fact that they look silly, is there any reason you don't see this design around any more?

Is that photo of an original or a copy?     I saw those two small wheels, looked at the forks and thought they were modern (well, pre-Ahead that is).

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:56:04 am »
I assume it's a fairly heavy-handed restoration, so an original frame with new parts.  There's no information on that site, and other sites just have passing references to them.  I'd never seen one before.  I wonder if you could fit a 'bent seat between the tracks?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2008, 06:33:48 am »
Looks like a modern copy.  I haven't come across any original trikes with pneumatic tyres (might be some rare ones out there though). http://www.sciencetech.technomuses.ca/english/collection/cycles8.cfm  You could fit a recumbent seat but maximum speed wasn't really a consideration for the refined ladies and gents using one of these expensive machines.  The 'uncouth' reclined position probably would have restricted sales.

They ride reasonably well, give they are solid-tyred.  The large wheel increases the gearing while the wierd arrangement keeps a low centre of gravity.  Only having two tracks makes it easier to avoid potholes on unsurfaced (or poorly surfaced) roads.  Chain drive on bikes and trikes was still being developed at that time.

Most unusual 'things' have a reasonable explanation, if you know the conditions that lead to their development.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:01:39 pm »
[pedant alert]
A Windcheetah is an asymmetric trike.  Rear axle goes through the frame on a bearing, with the deraillieur block one side, and the wheel the other.  So I can replace the tube without taking the wheel off.  Like I had to today, after a visit from the eastern-european can't-make-tubes-that-hold-air-properly goblin.

One winter, with snow on the ground, I saw the characteristic off-centre tracks of another Windcheetah, while riding mine.  So there is another one around here somewhere...
And yes, I did check that I wasn't doing a Pooh-and-Piglet-style heffalump chase.
[/pedant alert]
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:22:21 pm »

I've tried  an asymmetric bike once. I found it quite scary to ride.
It was not  similar to the one pictured here, it was a homebuild bastard.  :hand:

I would never use it as a pubbike