Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 285313 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #275 on: 10 November, 2012, 06:17:15 pm »
Considering a high speed 300k on Saturday 24th November - route would be Basingstoke - Crewkerne (with brevidence stop in Salisbury) - Wareham - Romsey - Basingstoke which is 10k overdistance as the Google Maps fly but probably 20k overdistance as I'm not cycling on the A31 across the New Forest. 

Start early to allow main road bash down the A30 to Crewkerne before it gets busy.

If the roads are dry might even do on racebike.

Mrs CET is in Staffordshire with CET Juniors so have a pass
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #276 on: 11 November, 2012, 11:44:12 pm »
Paul, that sounds really good.  I'm going to be doing Eureka, from Cheadle on Sunday, though.  Incidentally, Sunday is the 11th in the rest of Britain.  Have a good ride!

Peter

lovely day, have a click on...

http://flic.kr/p/dsyVvP

« Reply #277 on: 12 November, 2012, 12:59:01 am »
Looks good!  We had mist here when I rode from home to the start.  not so much beauty, though; Oldham, Ashton, Denton, Stockport!

But the ride itself was fine.

« Reply #278 on: 12 November, 2012, 11:18:45 pm »
I'm not sure if I can do the Solstice ride in December, so I was considering a Cumbrian 200 for the first weekend in December.  Anyone fancy joining in the planning/riding.  I had this in mind for starters...

anti-clockwise http://goo.gl/maps/VFYHq (but west side of Thirlmere)

starting Newby Bridge or Troutbeck Bridge, a bit hilly but nothing desperate (except for that brute out of Keswick). 

« Reply #279 on: 12 November, 2012, 11:36:29 pm »
I won't be able to do first weekend because of our big children's Christmas concert weekend.  A shame.  That road past Thirlmere is absolutely stunning.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #280 on: 19 November, 2012, 01:47:58 pm »
Considering a high speed 300k on Saturday 24th November - route would be Basingstoke - Crewkerne (with brevidence stop in Salisbury) - Wareham - Romsey - Basingstoke which is 10k overdistance as the Google Maps fly but probably 20k overdistance as I'm not cycling on the A31 across the New Forest. 

Start early to allow main road bash down the A30 to Crewkerne before it gets busy.

If the roads are dry might even do on racebike.

Mrs CET is in Staffordshire with CET Juniors so have a pass

Mrs CET is no longer going to be in Staffordshire so will call this one off but have another go (see if I can get a day pass early in the New Year)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #281 on: 19 November, 2012, 05:00:53 pm »
I'm keen to ride a couple of 200km perms during the following dates.
Monday 26th November.
15th, 22nd 23rd December or between 27th December and the 30th December.
I'm based in Bristol,  I prefer Steve Poultons perms as a couple of them start close to home.
Anybody playing out?
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #282 on: 19 November, 2012, 08:49:11 pm »
15th or 22nd Dec look OK for me. Probably weather-dependent though - I'm not chasing any awards ATM. Which ones do you have in mind for this time of year?

Edit: 15th now has a time constraint for me (eve).
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #283 on: 19 November, 2012, 11:38:53 pm »
Hey guys I'm in Bristol. Doing a calendar 200 on 8th December. Might not have the willpower or time for another 200 in the month but if I do I could join you.

Bairdy, next Monday 25th I'm off work, did you want to do a ride then?

« Reply #284 on: 28 November, 2012, 11:17:30 pm »
Not that I'm expecting any takers (brrr!) but I am planning to do a clockwise circuit of Cumbria on Saturday, if anyone is looking for something to do.  S Lakes > Birker Fell > Kirkstile (Loweswater) > Whinlatter > Wigton > S Lakes.

201k PM for approved gps checkpoints

CURSES! - temp crept up overnight, everything got very soggy and then froze solid before dawn.  Result - a thin layer of water ice on all the minor roads where the seepage lines are.  Back in one piece, but the front wheel isn't as round as it used to be :(

« Reply #285 on: 01 December, 2012, 09:54:22 am »
Harsh luck Rev, hope you are not too battered and bruised.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #286 on: 01 December, 2012, 11:22:17 am »
cheers - back from lbs and now have a round wheel again.  Was surprised to see how many cyclists were out - the main roads are obviously in reasonable nick.  The consolation prize is that at least I can watch the rugby on the TV this afternoon and I might even try again tomorrow - though perhaps a little more cautiously.  :)

edit - current forecast says 'no ice' on Saturday night into Sunday for the 9th Dec, so hopefully do a re-run if anyone wants to come up North for a hilly 200!

« Reply #287 on: 11 December, 2012, 02:01:48 pm »
Still got all the wheels on my AAA/RRTY wagon subject to validation - next up is the weekend 5/6 Jan for a hilly 200 in the Lakes, probably Haverthwaite, Hawkeshead, Caldbeck, Wigton, Loweswater, Gosforth if anyone is in the area and fancies a trundle

« Reply #288 on: 22 December, 2012, 08:43:30 am »
Looking at doing Mike Wigley's Wilmslow-St Asaph 200k on either the first or second Saturday in January (weather dependant). Maybe fixed, maybe not.

Any takers?

« Reply #289 on: 04 January, 2013, 04:42:36 pm »
Anyone know whether any perms (Dave Hudson's I'm guessing) start from Pease Pottage or go through it or anywhere nearby?

« Reply #290 on: 05 January, 2013, 07:31:29 pm »
Nearest in my GPX collection is Hailsham - Liss, that I have going through Albourne. So, not all that near.
Some of the hilly ones from Martin and Billy will go closer.

Hillbilly

« Reply #291 on: 05 January, 2013, 08:08:05 pm »
Closest one of my rides is the Sussexy Beast 150, which could be started from Balcombe (if the "permit to travel" machine is working at the station or the village shop is open).  Route outline is on the AUK website (also, if you search for "Sussexy Beast" on ridewithgps it will show the profile of the ride etc).

Otherwise, you are looking at Uckfield possibly being the closest start (Down to Downs 100 and AAA Milne 100) or Forest Row (AAA Milne 100 and Around Weald Expedition 200).

Dave's 400km permanent starts in Pease Pottage by the way.  It's a straightforward route but rather generic (in my opinion); one for later in the year if you want an easy 400 for points or SR purposes.

« Reply #292 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:47:51 pm »
http://goo.gl/maps/kQkms by gps this saturday round the South Lakes, start at Backbarrow (20 mins from M6 on A590) if anyone is up for it.   Involves hills/AAA, so a bit weather dependant regarding icy roads.  Same route as the La'al Lakeland 100 Perm, but less faff with controls.

Also Steve Snook's Silverdale & Wharfedale starting at Settle 2nd Feb is pencilled in.  Did it on a MTB in the snow last year and am hoping for better weather.

Revs

« Reply #293 on: 12 January, 2013, 10:15:59 am »
Was a call for company on the LlanfairPG400 in April. Now it isn't.

« Reply #294 on: 10 February, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »
Next Saturday I'm hoping to do the Wilmslow-St Asaph 200k Perm but starting and finishing at Manchester Airport (for train related convenience). Any company would be greatly appreciated on this great little ride.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #295 on: 18 February, 2013, 05:51:57 pm »
I'm an anti-social bugger so I don't want company on my DIYs at the mo.  :P

Maybe if I start doing longer distances involving overnight riding that might change...  :thumbsup:
Embrace your inner Fred.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #296 on: 18 February, 2013, 07:57:54 pm »
Willy Warmer Perm this Sat, starting from Home...anybody else?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #297 on: 20 February, 2013, 09:19:35 pm »
DC Coast this Saturday with AC Hackney & Weymouth CC - anybody in?

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #298 on: 28 February, 2013, 06:07:16 pm »
I'm doing this 200km DIY from Stroud on Saturday with a friend, happy for anyone else to join anywhere on route if they want to.

An early start from Stroud, a warm-up to Winchcombe, lunch in Ross, through the Forest to a little trip down nostalgia lane for me, round the Severn then a sting in the tail before home.
http://goo.gl/maps/wjYbL

I am very slow so it will take me at least 12 hours at a 17kph ave, not necessarily including stops.

« Reply #299 on: 02 April, 2013, 06:58:31 pm »
Doing the New Cotswolds and Mendip Grimpeur 200 on Friday, starting/finishing at Warmley around 10.00/11.00am, going AC, first control point will be Keynsham.

Let me know if anyone wishes to tag along.