Author Topic: My day out in London  (Read 1280 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
My day out in London
« on: 08 October, 2009, 11:33:33 pm »
I had a great day out in London. It rained a lot. I checked in the hotel, left my gear there, did some business errands and then I went and met up with ScumOTR, Clarion, Butterfly and Greenbank.

We went for a meal at Mildred's.

Which was noisy and busy and it took a while to get a table,

however the company was fun and relaxing - just what I needed for what I was about to do. Thanks guys for coming and meeting up!

Next door there is indeed a meat eater's paradise.

Outside of which there'd been a testosterone-fuelled attack on a bike

Quite unlike the genteel parking for the mostly veg Mildred

I left the table early to go and get ready, and although the fat naked lady didn't sing, she didn't get wet either. Instead I got wet, as did my equipment - resulting in  a t'internets fail. However I did manage to take a few photos, and up load them at 2 in the morning. They are here.

This morning I went back to the square and relaxed. There was a plinther playing chess with someone on the end of a phone.

He was throwing things at the audience!

I watched the handover, easier to see when someone else is the subject!

I did a spot of public watching

Before I spotted this

and finally, back to

before coming home.

:thumbsup:

edit for incorrect URL
It is simpler than it looks.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: My day out in London
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2009, 11:44:26 pm »
Sorry I didn't come, wasn't feeling too great. Looks like a great day :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:01:38 am »
I was wondering today how they ensure that it isn't uninterrupted?  Presumably some people don't turn up, either through changing their mind, being too scared to do it, illness, getting there too late, etc, so are there some spare plinthers who sit around in the expectation of eventually getting a free slot eventually?

It looks like you certainly made the best time out of your time in London Jaded. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:06:05 am »
Don't you have to sign in a few hours before?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:14:15 am »
Fantastic photos Jaded.

I was looking at Andy Hamilton trying to work out where I knew him from... I gave up but then spotted the name on the next photo :D

In the background is that the other bloke from Mock the week?  Hugh somebody?   Cycled the famous ride up one of the alps the day before the Tour de France?    (You can tell I'm neither a name dropper or racing cyclist :D)

« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:17:52 am »
Dennis
Rust never sleeps

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:19:33 am »
I was wondering today how they ensure that it isn't uninterrupted?  Presumably some people don't turn up, either through changing their mind, being too scared to do it, illness, getting there too late, etc, so are there some spare plinthers who sit around in the expectation of eventually getting a free slot eventually?

It looks like you certainly made the best time out of your time in London Jaded. :thumbsup:

I didn't mention my visit to Westfield. Which was a business trip. That's another thread  :sick:

They have standbys. One caused a fuss and resulted in the only split hour, as far as I know.

You have to be there 1.5 hours early - I was there at 21:30. Some of this time was spent filling out about 248 disclaimer forms, some of the time was spent being frisked, some of it being photographed and some of it being interviewed to tape, a bit more time being frisked and quite a lot of it spent talking about GeraldC  ;D.

I guess that the 1.5 hours allows them enough time to get a fill-in person to step-up. Albeit probably not someone with a Godzilla outfit and a model of London. The 'apply for a place' page was still working quite recently, even thought the project finishes next week.

Also Anthony Gormley has been on the plinth at least once. He applied as a member of the public.  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:22:00 am »
Fantastic photos Jaded.

I was looking at Andy Hamilton trying to work out where I knew him from... I gave up but then spotted the name on the next photo :D

In the background is that the other bloke from Mock the week?  Hugh somebody?   Cycled the famous ride up one of the alps the day before the Tour de France?    (You can tell I'm neither a name dropper or racing cyclist :D)

It was funny - I was walking around the top end of the square thinking "that bloke looks like", and "that bloke looks like" and it was only when I saw the clapperboard a little later that it twigged.

« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:22:09 am »
I'd never noticed that Andy Hamilton writes (with A N Other) Outnumbered. Well, I don't watch it . ..  
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #9 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:22:58 am »
Good stuff. I got here too late to see you up there (as it were).

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2009, 09:26:42 am »

I cycled past while she was on.
Didn't realise you were around, Jaded.