Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3010076 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
It's what you can't see that's dangerous (plankton, bacteria, amoeba, bacteria, archaea, viruses, deadly chemicals), cloudy water is just suspended mud.

Indeed, hence I wouldn't assume I'm safe even though the water seemed fine... but I've made it through the first 24 hours unscathed, so I think I'll live - unless I've ingested some very slow-acting pathogens (I'm less concerned about consuming homeopathic levels of ian's wee).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
It's what you can't see that's dangerous (plankton, bacteria, amoeba, bacteria, archaea, viruses, deadly chemicals), cloudy water is just suspended mud.

Indeed, hence I wouldn't assume I'm safe even though the water seemed fine... but I've made it through the first 24 hours unscathed, so I think I'll live - unless I've ingested some very slow-acting pathogens (I'm less concerned about consuming homeopathic levels of ian's wee).
If you turn into a tidy-haired thought leader with a bear obsession it might suggest there's something to this homeopathy bollocks after all.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

If you turn into a tidy-haired thought leader with a bear obsession it might suggest there's something to this homeopathy bollocks after all.

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stranger?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Dr. Crippen was a homeopath.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stranger?

And the prize for the most nonsensical bumper sticker evvah goes to:

P9170008 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
That seems like a very sensible sticker if you ask me.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

My brother set off at 4pm this afternoon on the Spine Race - a 268-mile ultramarathon along the full length of the Pennine Way (this is the summer version, obviously - the proper hardcore version happens in January). He's going brilliantly so far - 10th through the first checkpoint, and currently in 6th place overall (seems to be at the front of a small bunch, with the leaders a few miles further ahead). Too early to be meaningful, but I'd say that's a great start.

For those who like dot watching, he's #603:
https://live.opentracking.co.uk/spine21sum/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
One of my friends is doing that too, #641. I can't work out how to get it to tell me what position he's in though. Not that it really matters.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

I can’t see any official list of placings, just the splits at checkpoints. (I’m counting the dots on the tracker to work out current position.)

The chap who is out in the lead at the moment has won it twice before - in winter - so he’s obviously proper hardcore, but frankly, anyone who can even complete the distance is superhuman.

603 looks like second place at the moment. :thumbsup: though getting to the far end is impressive in any position.

Eoin Keith seems a really nice guy. I follow his blog and he comes across as an incredible athlete but human as well.

citoyen

Eoin Keith seems a really nice guy. I follow his blog and he comes across as an incredible athlete but human as well.

He does, doesn’t he? Not heard of him before but I’ve been looking up some of the other runners and enjoying his blog.

#603 is apparently “following his excel spreadsheet almost to the second” - which doesn’t surprise me at all! My sis-in-law is planning to meet him at the Malham checkpoint at midday - definitely looks like he’s on course for that (by my reckoning, he’s about 15km away at time of writing, 9.30am).

They’re up on the Dales now. Terrain looks *very* lumpy.

compared to many of the American ultra runners he comes across as very different.  I enjoy the "uphill athlete" podcast and the "science of ultra" although I will never run that far that fast.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I had another sea swim this evening, soon after 8pm. High tide was a little later. I was back on my bike heading home soon after 9pm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

I’ve been in the sea every day in June so far - sometimes just for a few minutes, sometimes for as much as half an hour. Conditions have been extremely variable! But I’m trying to make it a daily habit. It’s good for the soul. Off for today’s dip at about 7.30. (Sea is looking a bit choppy today - local surf shop has a webcam on the beach: https://www.board-worx.com/pages/whitstable-beach-webcam-weather )

Unfortunately, I’ll probably miss out on Thursday, since I’m in the office, and tides will not be conducive to a pre or post work swim. Chiz!

citoyen

Spine race update: Eoin K is way out in front now - already at CP3 Middleton 226km - well over half way. Could be beating the record time at this rate.

Next on the course, about halfway between Tan Hill and Middleton, are Anna T and James L. Both veteran ultra runners. Anna has been moving steadily through the field and seems to be making minimal stops, just ploughing on steadily. Looked like she was running with James for a bit but is now pulling away from him.

#603 had a rough patch before Malham, so stopped there for a bit of medical attention and rest (and fresh socks) but then had a good run to CP2 at Hardraw (checked in at 22.45), where he stopped for a proper sleep (can’t blame him). He’s on his way again though, at the back of a spread out group of four runners, all well on their way to Tan Hill. He’s looking very chipper in the photos.

#641 also looks like he’s still going well - past Malham now (looks like he might have stopped there overnight) and rounding the tarn.

ETA: apparently, James L started in a later wave so in fact is mathematically ahead of Eoin K.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
This is what video conferences were made for! The look on the face of an international civil servant when asked if they've heard their boss say "I will put chilli pepper up their arses"! (and the answer was yes)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
Note to self: I must not by a load of tut that I do not need. Prime day is not all it seems.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
There’s an over designed bog brush on offer in the prime day deals, but it is NOT Bluetooth connected. I’m not buying that! What sort of idiots do they take us for?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

There’s an over designed bog brush on offer in the prime day deals, but it is NOT Bluetooth connected. I’m not buying that! What sort of idiots do they take us for?
That's a first world problem of tragic consequence. How will you know when to clean the bog if the bog brush doesn't bluetoothomatically tell you?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
That's a first world problem of tragic consequence. How will you know when to clean the bog if the bog brush doesn't bluetoothomatically tell you?

Shirley a networked toilet brush must exist, if only in Japan?

Cudzoziemiec

I'm sure Japan has self-brushing toilets, or at least robots dedicated to the task.

ian

As a thoroughly middle-class person, cleaning the toilet is a job for the staff.

If it comes down to it, I squirt copious quantities bleach down it and run away until it renders itself safe.

The ransomware attack being to tell visitors / parents how often you clean?

citoyen

Spine Race update:
Eoin #654 is past CP5 and into the final stretch. Should finish some time today, and I think he might still be on track for a course record.
Anna #600 is keeping him on his toes, maintaining a relentless pace and well on her way to CP5.
James #728 is almost at Greenhead (halfway checkpoint between CP4 & CP5) and going strongly.
Robert #603 is next on the course. He bivvied in Greg's Hut up on the fells last night so was overtaken by a few others, but that meant he didn't stop long at CP4 this morning and is back to his previous position. Says he's "running on 75% enthusiasm" at this stage. Looking well in the latest pics.
A few km behind him is a small bunch comprising #618 Richard, #718 Ed, #609 John. They all stopped to sleep at CP4 this morning.

Runners with a 7xx number started two hours after the 6xx wave, so Ed is mathematically ahead of Robert, but it's all very close and much could yet change. Ed is looking very strong though - made up some good time in the last two sections. Fascinating race. Last night's section took them over the peaks of Knock Fell, Great Dun Fell, Little Dun Fell and Cross Fell - some pretty serious climbing.

#641 Richard looks like he's still going along nicely in the pack. Past Tan Hill this morning and on his way to CP3 at Middleton. He's got until Friday to finish, so still well on track.