Author Topic: 11+ Practice Resources  (Read 1489 times)

11+ Practice Resources
« on: 16 June, 2010, 04:34:41 pm »
My eldest is going to be taking the 11+ in Warwickshire in October. She is not used to this kind of test and will need practice and guidance.

Can anyone recommend any books/CDs/websites where she can get some experience of the kinds of papers she's likely to encounter?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: 11+ Practice Resources
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2010, 10:13:33 pm »
We don't have them in Suffolk, however I'm told that the Nelsons tests do an 11+ series.  I think there's verbal reasoning, non verbal reasoning and some mathsy stuff.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

rr

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2010, 12:03:11 am »
This website may be just what you need
The Bond books like this one seem good
If its anywhere near as competitive as Essex tutoring will probably be essential.

The Mechanic

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2010, 09:53:55 am »
It just goes to show the poor state of education in this country if we have to tutur our kids to pass exams. 

As an aside, When I took the 11+ in the sixties, I ( along with many others I expect) turned up at school one day to find the hall set out with desks instead of empty ready for assembly.  That was the first I new of the 11+ to be taken that day.  No wonder I failed it.  I now have 3 masters degrees and have a Mensa tested IQ of 155 so really I should have passed it.  It suggests to me that 11 years old is maybe not the best time to start selecting the countries future leaders.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2010, 02:42:13 pm »
I've taught people to get through Cambridge language exams, and one thing I noticed - especially at the lower end of the scale - was that the candidates' level of English was only equal to their level of competence in answering the questions the way Cambridge required in securing a good grade.

Key skills like concentrating initial on eliminating wrong answers before looking for the right answer are massively influential on how well a child will do. I took the 11+ in the early 70s and whilst I think I had some coaching at school beforehand, it can't have been much.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I've ordered those books and will look at the website with my daughter.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:10:41 pm »
It just goes to show the poor state of education in this country if we have to tutur our kids to pass exams. 

If the 11 plus there  is like it is here (Verbal reasoning stuff) then I can understand coaching, or at the very least some experience of what are quite different questions.
It is simpler than it looks.

rr

« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:45:30 pm »
The Essex selective schools take only 2 or 3% of Pupils, not the 30-40% they did in the 50s and 60s. the 11+ is an English Paper a Maths Paper and Verbal reasoning, all teachable. As a result children have to be very bight and committed to get in and so do their parents.

gordon taylor

« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2010, 06:11:19 am »
Are the pass marks lower for boys than for girls in Warwickshire? If all the children sit the same exam and are marked equally, you end up with two-thirds of the 11+ school pupils being girls, as happened in Northern Ireland.

If the numbers of pupils in the 11+ schools are equal, then the boys and girls have "different assessment criteria."