Author Topic: 'Bent Only rides?  (Read 10256 times)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
Re: 'Bent Only rides?
« Reply #25 on: 31 December, 2010, 05:52:25 pm »
Interested if I can get my arm strength back in time!

No modern train I have encountered will cope with a recumbent trike; I'd have to drive. Possible space for another SE based bod to share
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 31 December, 2010, 10:12:50 pm »
I'm in  :thumbsup:

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #27 on: 31 December, 2010, 11:40:44 pm »
I reckon one of you should take a 'bent down from Killhope Cross into Nenthead.  That has to be the most lethally fast road descent in England.

It's also possible to be doing 250% of the posted speed limit down Sutton Bank.  :thumbsup:  Though possibly not round the hairpin.

No modern train I have encountered will cope with a recumbent trike.

While the Toronto Greenbelt Express bike train in Niagara Falls was accommodating beyond measure, attempting to take my RANS V2 F26 on a British train would probably give the train guard an aneurysm.  My train-friendly other recumbent is slightly broken at the moment :( but a ride in April could be just the prod the Californian factory needs to get it sorted.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #28 on: 01 January, 2011, 10:12:01 am »
i am interested but fairly slow. i would use the thorn lwb for this as it is easier on trains. :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #29 on: 01 January, 2011, 12:57:00 pm »
Would not the new folding Trice trikes be ok on a train.

Happy New Year Chris (and everyone else on here who has been patient whilst reading my ramblings)

:)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #30 on: 01 January, 2011, 05:11:33 pm »
hi quint , yes i have no problem getting the trice on the train but a ride i did last years ,bottlemasher's norwich ride, proved that i am a little faster on the thorn. as this ride will include real cyclist's that might be important   :).
is there a campsite in the area as i am happy to come up for a few days and explore the area ? :)
the slower you go the more you see

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #31 on: 01 January, 2011, 06:13:20 pm »
hi quint , yes i have no problem getting the trice on the train but a ride i did last years ,bottlemasher's norwich ride, proved that i am a little faster on the thorn. as this ride will include real cyclist's that might be important   :).
is there a campsite in the area as i am happy to come up for a few days and explore the area ? :)
See this post somewhere up-thread: Clicky.

There is a several (or possibly even a many) of campsites in the Derby/Ashbourne area, giving access to the White Peak and/or the Trent Valley.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #32 on: 01 January, 2011, 06:52:16 pm »
I'm interested. It looks like a very nice ride.
I need to get fitter. And more practice on my Street Machine. But I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Does anyone know what train facilities are like from t'north?
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #33 on: 01 January, 2011, 07:04:03 pm »
I need to get fitter. And more practice on my Street Machine. But I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Hourly trains Leeds to Derby.  Journey time 1h30 or so.  If you're in luck, there should be southbound HSTs (wiv proper guard's vans and everyfink) in the morning, and northbound ones in the evening, thereby avoiding the use of the dreaded dangly-bike spaces in Voyagers.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #34 on: 01 January, 2011, 07:11:22 pm »

Hourly trains Leeds to Derby.  Journey time 1h30 or so.  If you're in luck, there should be southbound HSTs (wiv proper guard's vans and everyfink) in the morning, and northbound ones in the evening, thereby avoiding the use of the dreaded dangly-bike spaces in Voyagers.

Excellent. Thanks. I'll check it out.  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 02 January, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »
Also note that a StreetMachine will play with the dreaded dangly spaces (unless you've got the boom *really* far out), if you are able to lift it to hang by the back wheel.  Best to take a toe strap or zip tie or similar to secure the front wheel to the slot so it doesn't swing around too much.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #36 on: 02 January, 2011, 06:53:36 pm »
But I haven't got a bent.....  :'(

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #37 on: 02 January, 2011, 07:09:07 pm »
But I haven't got a bent.....  :'(
There's this place in Little Thetford... ;)
Or you could borrow one of mine.  (but they're not as easy to alter for leg length :'()
Or we could re-run the event, for conventional bikes only, as a comparison of average and top speeds.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 02 January, 2011, 07:59:34 pm »
Special dispensation for honorary bent status on the grounds of low saddle height?   :D

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #39 on: 02 January, 2011, 10:55:53 pm »
Historically - bent only rides have been flexible in allowing the "bent in spirit" to attend.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #40 on: 03 January, 2011, 11:58:59 am »
There will be low bridges... ;)

Ok.  You may get pointed and laughed at if you're on a conventional bike.  And you're to stay at the back so as not to restrict the view of those of us with less far to fall.  On the howlingly-fast descent, we'll wait at the bottom for you.

(The whole point was that I didn't want to stare at other riders' bums.  Even ones as photogenic as yours!)

I've just checked, and Derby County are away to QPR that day.  So the station won't be a heaving mess of away fans.  But at 10am, it might be a heaving mess of DCFC supporters finding trains to That London.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 03 January, 2011, 04:45:03 pm »
I accidentally found myself on a train with some DCFC fans once.  They insisted that I provided an impartial ruling on subjects as diverse as Manchester United and how fashionable their shoes were.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #42 on: 03 January, 2011, 06:35:15 pm »
When would I ever be anywhere other than at the back?  And everyone always has to wait for me at the top and the bottom of every big hill, whatever bikes are being used  :)  Actually, I think that's going to be the school holidays, so I may well be off riding with the cub and you'd be safe from the shame of riding with an upwrong in tow.

« Reply #43 on: 03 January, 2011, 11:23:52 pm »
My plan is to start this years hols at the end of April.
So mid April is ideal for fitness training.

Luck ......... :D

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #44 on: 03 January, 2011, 11:28:59 pm »
Hi rower40,
Would you happen to have a GPX file of the proposed route?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #45 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:27:24 pm »
Hi rower40,
Would you happen to have a GPX file of the proposed route?
PM me your email address, and I'll send it to you.  It's a log taken when I did a similar ride on my Windcheetah back in '09.  As the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway wasn't open then, I rode the B5023 from Duffield to Wirksworth.

It was an "mmo" file from my "Memory Map", but I've found that there's a "save as" option that can create GPX files.

markg0vbr

« Reply #46 on: 16 January, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »
have we a date yet? or have i missed it ???
just sorting out my calender  O:-)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #47 on: 16 January, 2011, 04:53:37 pm »
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36318.msg814954#msg814954
Sat 16th April.  Nothing formal arranged yet. It all might fall through (*) if the railway say "no".

(*) = "we have to ride the B5023 from Duffield to Wirksworth rather than taking the train."

markg0vbr

« Reply #48 on: 24 January, 2011, 05:39:10 pm »
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36318.msg814954#msg814954
Sat 16th April.  Nothing formal arranged yet. It all might fall through (*) if the railway say "no".

(*) = "we have to ride the B5023 from Duffield to Wirksworth rather than taking the train."

that is ok only about 9 miles

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #49 on: 26 February, 2011, 02:34:49 pm »
Thread Bump.

While waiting for the nascent Ecclesbourne Valley Railway to extract a digit and respond to my email, I thought I'd start to get a bit more certain (can't use the word "fixed" here) about who's coming:

So here's a roll-call, gleaned from upthread:

Me
Charlotte (you've still got the Baron, yes?)
Johnny Thin
Jogler
Handcyclist
Kim
Cycleman
Wheezer
CrinklyLion (who will get laughed and pointed at for being the tallest there)
Tigerbiten
Markg0bvr

Any more for any more?  Saturday 16th April, 10am start at DERBY station.  60 miles or so.  ONE great big climb.