Author Topic: Selling gear on Ebay - interest from abroad  (Read 2229 times)

Selling gear on Ebay - interest from abroad
« on: 24 November, 2010, 07:59:16 pm »
I'm currently selling 4 x Pentax lenses on Ebay. I listed the auctions as UK only, but I've had multiple emails asking if I'll post to Spain, Netherlands, Poland and South Korea.   

If I change the auction status to International am I setting myself up for a scam ?  All the people asking questions have decent feedback, and lots of it is for camera gear.

Am I being nasty & suspicious or overly cautious ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Selling gear on Ebay - interest from abroad
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:29:37 pm »
I wouldn't think it would be a problem, and I have posted abroad in the past - recorded delivery or whatever the international equivalent is called.

The buyer pays before you send the item, and so long as you are clear what service you'll be sending it with, and what the cover is if it gets lost in the post, I'm not sure too much can go wrong can it?

Their feedback sounds good, especially as they've dealt with camera stuff before on eBay.

If you're changing the auction status, I would say something like "international bidders please make sure you contact me before bidding, so I can provide a postage quote". This also gives you chance to check their feedback and you don't have to sell to anyone who seems dodgy.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:38:36 pm »
It's silly never to sell abroad at all - but sensible to be cautious with values you can't afford to lose.

The only significant risk with buyers with good recent feedback, is the item getting lost in the post and the postal services not coughing up compensation.  Italy has a bad reputation, and I've had a couple of my items go missing there.  I had one small one lost in Spain too - but that doesn't prove anything by itself.

eBay allows you to include and exclude specific countries.

It's no gaurantee, and not cheap, but it might help a little to use AirSure or International Signed For.  See the Royal Mail site for details.

Keep the packaging as light as reasonably possible to minimise costs (that you might have to pay twice if refunding).  Every 20g counts.

I've posted one or two Pentax-fit lenses abroad myself - with no problems.  Genuine Pentaxians are everywhere!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:04:14 pm »
Absolutely, Pentaxians due tend to trade internationally ;).
i only bought lenses on Ebay, most of the lenses coming from over the borders. Make sure that you have some possiblity for international payment. British banks are notorious for bostruction regarding IBAN/BIC payments so you might have to revert to Paypal.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:09:43 pm »
More to the point, have you got a link?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:14:15 pm »
I sold a couple of B&O things earlier this year.  The winning bids were both from Italy.  Paid by Paypal and everything was OK.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 27 November, 2010, 05:55:54 pm »
Check this for before posting so you can warn of any extra delays:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400033&mediaId=3800088

A few strikes going on, as well as security paranoia in places.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #8 on: 27 November, 2010, 06:11:22 pm »
The Dutch strike won't affect packages, it's only a strike for regular mail.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 27 November, 2010, 11:59:03 pm »
I once tried to sell an electronic drumkit - I won it in a competition, but decided I didn't have the patience and discipline to learn to play properly. After a year or so I put it on ebay with a "pick-up only" disclaimer, as it was several large boxes. I was amazed as I saw the number of watchers grow to 20... the auction ended and it went to a woman in New Jersey!

Turns out my auction had been hijacked - description & photos pulled off ebay.co.uk and put on ebay.com. I emailed the winning bidder to say "you do realise I'm not going to post it to the States, right?" and the details were pulled instantly. They didn't charge me and I later re-listed it, but I hope that bidder didn't lose money by paypal to the scammer. Be careful!

« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2010, 06:47:11 pm »
Well 3 lenses went to buyers in the Uk and the 70-210 went to someone who appears to be a dealer in Hong Kong  :)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2010, 09:40:43 pm »
Well 3 lenses went to buyers in the Uk and the 70-210 went to someone who appears to be a dealer in Hong Kong  :)

I was following the A28 but it went too high for my tastes, besides I allready have 3 other 28mm's in K ;).