Author Topic: This day in history  (Read 539 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
This day in history
« on: 15 April, 2011, 03:20:41 pm »
I know they're meaningless, but I can't help smiling when you get coincidences like this:

Today in 1802 William Wordsworth went for a walk around Ullswater with his sister Dorothy and saw the many daffodils which inspired him to write his best known poem "I wondered lonely as a cloud" or more commonly called "Daffodils."

Today in 1865 Abraham Lincoln died after being shot in the Ford's theatre by John Wilkes Booth. The assassination of President of the United States Abraham Lincoln took place on April 14, 1865, as the American Civil War was drawing to a close, just five days after the surrender of the commanding general of the Army of Northern Virginia, Robert E. Lee, and his battered Army of Northern Virginia to General Ulysses S. Grant. Lincoln was the first American president to be assassinated, though an unsuccessful attempt had been made on Andrew Jackson in 1835.

The assassination was planned and carried out by well-known actor John Wilkes Booth as part of a larger conspiracy intended to rally the remaining Confederate troops to continue fighting. Booth plotted with Lewis Powell and George Atzerodt to kill Secretary of State William H. Seward and Vice President Andrew Johnson as well.  The rest of the plot failed. Powell only managed to wound Seward, while Atzerodt, Johnson's would-be assassin, lost his nerve and fled.

And Today in 1912
sadly the Titanic sunk.

(You get some good ones in those "Birthdays Today for ..." columns too!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles