Author Topic: Peak district photo day  (Read 928 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Peak district photo day
« on: 28 November, 2011, 10:28:15 pm »
Inspired by Charlotte's post about the Oxford photo day, my Girlfriend and I decided to head out into the nearby Peak District to take some photos of our own.

I was determined to try and get to grips with my camera, and use manual settings all day. My GF has got a similar model (although hers is better than mine) and was still getting used to it as well. It was more of a learning experience and a chance to spend the day in beautiful countryside than a serious photo taking time.

Our first stop of the day was near Hathersage, where I made my first mistake and forgot to check the ISO, which was set stupidly high for the conditions, so my first photos are rather noisy.

It was a grey day as well, rather dark.

We stopped for lunch in Hathersage, and headed on to Winnats pass.

I'd remembered about the ISO setting now, so there is less noise in these pictures.

This is a little bit over exposed, which gives the rocks a rather odd colour.

A view of the Hope valley.

Then, for our final stop where we were really losing the light, and the Ladybower Reservoir.

Time for a bit of playing with long exposures.

Spooky cyclists.

Light trails.

The full set

We had fun, and we both learned a lot about the use and abuse of our equipment. It was great inspiration, and we're looking forward to repeating it on a nicer day.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Peak district photo day
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2011, 10:37:06 pm »
That's a good bit of Derbyshire.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Peak district photo day
« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2011, 10:48:19 pm »
Great pics, Hulver - hope to see one on the voting thread (which I'll set up tomorrow seeing as nobody else has!)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk