Author Topic: CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 (+CwR150) 10 MAR 2012  (Read 13092 times)

Re: CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 (+CwR150) 10 MAR 2012
« Reply #50 on: 11 March, 2012, 01:56:58 pm »
To be clear, it wasn't the climb that bothered me, it was the traffic passing very close and fast. Steve and I had a brief conversation at the end and I mentioned this only because I felt I should for the potential avoidance of mishaps in the future. I fully understand the rationale for routing this way, and there aren't any perfect alternatives. I suppose with regards to the poorly surfaced laney alternative I'd much rather come a cropper by my own carelessness than by that of an idiot behind a wheel.

No, this in no way overshadows what is easily the equal of any edition of the CF I have ridden, and what will almost certainly become a must-do event.

« Reply #51 on: 11 March, 2012, 02:05:27 pm »
I would hate to think that comments regarding about 1km out of a 204km ride gave any impression that this was anything less than a great route.  It was only the hill that was unpleasant - once speed picked up and effort dropped off at the top it's remarkable how much better it seemed!

But I think we'd all struggle to recall a route that had no bad patch at all.  I think it was only because it was so close to the end, and so fresh in the memory, that there was so much comment.

+1 to this. Personally it wasn't the hill itself that was the problem, it was lots of cars close passing at 60mph because they were unwilling to slow down on the hill to wait until there was nothing coming the other way. This can be unnerving if (like me) you are slow on steep hills with a tendency to waver a little. I suspect the time of day I was coming in just as it had turned dark was a busy time for that road on a Saturday evening.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #52 on: 11 March, 2012, 03:15:22 pm »
I would hate to think that comments regarding about 1km out of a 204km ride gave any impression that this was anything less than a great route.  It was only the hill that was unpleasant - once speed picked up and effort dropped off at the top it's remarkable how much better it seemed!

But I think we'd all struggle to recall a route that had no bad patch at all.  I think it was only because it was so close to the end, and so fresh in the memory, that there was so much comment.

+1 to this. Personally it wasn't the hill itself that was the problem, it was lots of cars close passing at 60mph because they were unwilling to slow down on the hill to wait until there was nothing coming the other way. This can be unnerving if (like me) you are slow on steep hills with a tendency to waver a little. I suspect the time of day I was coming in just as it had turned dark was a busy time for that road on a Saturday evening.

That hill is on a major Trunk route from the M5 to the A40 and it is 'Driver Attitude' and 'wrong traffic' that I need to consider.  We are hitting the return from 3pm to 9pm, so there is NO best time. I know it does not matter about gradient; it is the feeling of closeness and hopelessness; cars are really slowing up to walking pace behind us and I cannot risk the 'one day' scenario.

I would rather be talking about this now and in the context of a great ride.  When I enter a Cal event I take a lot for granted. No, that hill will go for safety reasons not terrain aesthetics.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #53 on: 11 March, 2012, 03:32:13 pm »
Just got home (it's a long way 'oop north) and have to agree with all the positive comments about the route and the organisation. I have to say though that for once I didn't come across ANY discourteous riders all the day, and even those passing on the final climb did so with courtesy and common sense - suppose it only takes one idiot though.
The last 60k must be the flattest ride I've ever done in the Cotswolds, which was most welcome as I had certainly not got my climbing legs with me - I even had to walk one of the climbs, which is the first time since my first attempt of Winnats Pass in the Peaks. Fortunately I seemed to get stronger as the day went on - must be due to the caik!

Thanks to Steve and look forward to seeing everyone back for Steve's Gospel Pass 200, later in the year, which is a fantastic ride.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #54 on: 11 March, 2012, 03:49:50 pm »
Don't feel so bad for missing this one anymore as I've just discovered that my freewheel is knackered.

Might have to do this as a Perm as it sounds great.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #55 on: 11 March, 2012, 05:40:40 pm »
Just read the local Oxfordshire News on the BBC website, and the Motorcyclist that crashed near Faringdon did not make it :'( :'(
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

« Reply #56 on: 11 March, 2012, 05:42:30 pm »
Just read the local Oxfordshire News on the BBC website, and the Motorcyclist that crashed near Faringdon did not make it :'( :'(

Oh no  :'(  :'(  :'(

« Reply #57 on: 11 March, 2012, 06:49:29 pm »

:(

It was a sickening site, TBH. The emergency services hadn't arrived when I rode past.

"Police have appealed for help to trace an elderly couple who stopped at the scene but left without giving statements to officers."

I saw an elderly lady standing by a vehicle but for the life of me I wouldn't be able to identify her or the vehicle. However later I spoke to a rider who said he had stopped at the scene and spoke to some people there. If he's reading this, maybe he can help the police.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 11 March, 2012, 06:59:39 pm »
Most of the 150k riders had to divert due to a road-closure, so I didn't have much hope for the accident victim. :(

( I really like the Lechlade-Faringdon road, but it's quiet, and the kind of road where 'over-exuberance' and/or over-confidence could lead to tragedy. Blind crests, changes in surface etc etc ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #59 on: 11 March, 2012, 07:47:07 pm »
( I really like the Lechlade-Faringdon road, but it's quiet, and the kind of road where 'over-exuberance' and/or over-confidence could lead to tragedy. Blind crests, changes in surface etc etc ... )

But I'm sure you're not suggesting that over-exuberance or over-confidence was the cause of this particular accident.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 11 March, 2012, 07:54:33 pm »

But I'm sure you're not suggesting that over-exuberance or over-confidence was the cause of this particular accident.
I have no idea. Although if there were two vehicles involved, on a quiet morning in good conditions, it's quite possible that one road-user was guilty of such. :( Others may know more about the circs, which could blow this theory out of the water.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #61 on: 11 March, 2012, 07:55:57 pm »

It was a sickening site, TBH. The emergency services hadn't arrived when I rode past.

"Police have appealed for help to trace an elderly couple who stopped at the scene but left without giving statements to officers."

I saw an elderly lady standing by a vehicle but for the life of me I wouldn't be able to identify her or the vehicle. However later I spoke to a rider who said he had stopped at the scene and spoke to some people there. If he's reading this, maybe he can help the police.

+1
I think the motorcylist who died had overtaken us around 20 minutes before we reached the scene. The Isuzu truck seemed to have turned right from the opposite direction into the farm track. It's windscreen was broken, so it looks at first glance like it right-hooked the motorcyclist who then hit the sign post on the other side of the road and ended up in the field. He wouldn't have stood a chance.

I am still feeling awful guilt pangs for not stopping. There were no paramedics there yet, just police, but the air ambulance was overhead so I pressed on. I thought that the police probably had first aid training and they had put him in the recovery position, but as someone with emergency and critical care training (for any species) I sometimes feel like I should offer what (little) help I could give to do CPR.

« Reply #62 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:08:04 pm »
Feline, I wouldn't feel guilty about not stopping. Given how far into the field he ended up I think he would have needed much more than CPR.

Shortly after I rode past two police cars went by at speed in the opposite direction followed about two minutes later by an ambulance. I then heard a helicopter which I assumed was an air ambulance. I live very close to Worcester Royal Hospital and so have heard the air ambulance land there often. They seem to have a very distinctive sound.

« Reply #63 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:18:48 pm »
In all fairness Feline, i must have passed 10 mins before you just after it happened, the ambulance had just been called, the rider was being supported, there was little you or I or anyone could have done, its just a very sad situation but one we can't control.  Try not to let it trouble you too much.

« Reply #64 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:22:41 pm »
Don't feel so bad for missing this one anymore as I've just discovered that my freewheel is knackered.

Might have to do this as a Perm as it sounds great.

Fully agree but I may start from yatton keynell area though, if anyone is interested 

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #65 on: 11 March, 2012, 10:25:28 pm »
Re that last hill - I was lucky with the traffic, I now realise, but not with the guys blasting away with their guns, on the right...  They were amazingly loud - and though I tried not to flinch, I found myself unable to avoid ducking every time - and I had on my Assos wooly hat, which as some of you will realise, interferes with me hearing voices quite well...  My solution was to get out of the saddle and blast away myself, (sprint up the hill)  to get out of the 'damage to my ears' area ASAP - It is some sort of gun training school, but far too close to the main road for cyclists tender ears - I bet the shooters have protection, and I suspect motons don't even hear it..

Steve, if you can find a way, change it, but if not, I'll still be back !!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #66 on: 11 March, 2012, 10:45:48 pm »
I was lucky with the traffic, I now realise, but not with the guys blasting away with their guns, on the right...
[snip]
Highways Act 1980
22.17 Under section 161 of the Highways Act
1980, it is an offence for any person, without
lawful authority or excuse, to discharge any
firearm within fifty feet of the centre of any
highway which comprises a carriageway, if in
consequence, any user of the highway is
injured, interrupted or endangered. For these
purposes a carriageway means a highway
(other than a cycle track) over which the
public have a right of way for the passage of
vehicles. The Highways Act does not apply in
Scotland but Procurators Fiscal may use
common law offences of “culpable and
reckless conduct” and “reckless
endangerment” in situations in which the
1980 Act would be contravened in England
and Wales.
[/snip]

Hmmm...
a) re arguments elewhere on cycling facilities as 'highway'
b) they are out to get you :-\
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #67 on: 11 March, 2012, 10:53:02 pm »
The shots were well over 50 feet from the road  ;D
Funilly enough, like Mikey I always duck when I hear a shot, even when I'm riding right past the rifle range at Yoxter on my commute!

« Reply #68 on: 11 March, 2012, 10:55:59 pm »
There's a clay pigeon place up there. I've loosed off a bit of buckshot there once or twice.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #69 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:00:02 pm »
Funilly enough, like Mikey I always duck when I hear a shot, even when I'm riding right past the rifle range at Yoxter on my commute!

[Gunny Highway]This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; and it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it. [/gunny]  ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #70 on: 12 March, 2012, 10:49:08 am »
I understand a van pulled out in front of the motor-cyclist.  The motorcyclist then either hit the van or the road sign that had been completely up-rooted.

Lets not spoil an otherwise excellent event though.

« Reply #71 on: 13 March, 2012, 09:53:29 am »
Just a note of thanks for your concerns over the motorcyclist.

He was an experience Army helicopter pilot instructor and one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

He is sadly missed.

Chris S

« Reply #72 on: 13 March, 2012, 10:01:53 am »
I was lucky with the traffic, I now realise, but not with the guys blasting away with their guns, on the right...
[snip]
Highways Act 1980
22.17 Under section 161 of the Highways Act
1980, it is an offence for any person, without
lawful authority or excuse, to discharge any
firearm within fifty feet of the centre of any
highway which comprises a carriageway, if in
consequence, any user of the highway is
injured, interrupted or endangered. For these
purposes a carriageway means a highway
(other than a cycle track) over which the
public have a right of way for the passage of
vehicles. The Highways Act does not apply in
Scotland but Procurators Fiscal may use
common law offences of “culpable and
reckless conduct” and “reckless
endangerment” in situations in which the
1980 Act would be contravened in England
and Wales.
[/snip]

Hmmm...
a) re arguments elewhere on cycling facilities as 'highway'
b) they are out to get you :-\

I'm guessing the MOD exempt themselves. Fboab and I were walking past RAF Honington recently, and they were firing automatics in the firing range which is right next to the road.

It was a deeply unpleasant experience  :(. There's nothing friendly about close gunfire in general, but automatic weapons are much worse. Ooh... me nerves...

« Reply #73 on: 13 March, 2012, 01:11:33 pm »
Just a note of thanks for your concerns over the motorcyclist.

He was an experience Army helicopter pilot instructor and one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

He is sadly missed.

Please pass on my condolences to his family and friends. 36 is way too young to go.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #74 on: 14 March, 2012, 11:34:05 pm »
I understand a van pulled out in front of the motor-cyclist.  The motorcyclist then either hit the van or the road sign that had been completely up-rooted.

Lets not spoil an otherwise excellent event though.

Biker killed in lorry crash
9:30am Monday 12th March 2012 in News 

A 36-YEAR-OLD motorcyclist has died after colliding with a truck and being thrown into a hedge on the A417.

The man’s black Honda motorcycle and a white Isuzu truck collided as the truck slowed to turn right into a farm on Saturday. Police were called at 9.42am on Saturday but the Hampshire biker was killed.

Police are keen to trace an elderly couple who stopped at the scene and drove on to Gloucestershire.

Call 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

If any of you early/faster 200 riders can help there's the number.  When I was turned back by the Police, I had a horrible thought that one of the riders might have been involved. One of you must have seen the bikes and the elderly couple and the truck. but it is all about context and association. If you were not at that section when the accident happened, you probably cannot connect. But I am sure anything you might be able to add could be useful. Info about when and how the bike or truck passed you could be helpful.
SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.