Author Topic: Have you been out with your camera today?  (Read 246522 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Have you been out with your camera today?
« Reply #25 on: 02 June, 2012, 07:57:00 pm »
I've been in with mine, making it a new kite cradle, so there's a meta pointing-my-camera-at-my-camera thing:

Modified KAP rig ready to fly by andygates, on Flickr
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 02 June, 2012, 08:42:58 pm »
I went down to the forge at Aldbourne, where my onetime work colleague Marc is starting a second career.  We only had about 90 minutes and obviously we had to have a go ourselves, so I didn't get that many pics, but I have some abstract stuff to make a website.  This is digicam crap, I'm afraid, although I could have done better with a Leica and colour film because the shutter release is about 100x more precise.

If anyone wants a good photo opportunity I daresay he'd be happy for you to hang around all day as long as he gets some digital files at the end of it.

(You're not really supposed to heat the metal to the point that it burns and sparks like this, but it looks good on photos)

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 04 June, 2012, 11:34:09 pm »
We flew the r/c rig!

Click through for a small set.  As a flight test it didn't matter so much that the lighting, camera settings and subject were pretty awful - we were just happy to get a wind we could play with.  The CHDK-scripted cheap Canon ticked away like a pacemaker and we got 10 out of 160 shots worth keeping.  The discard rate is huge! :)

(Memo to KAPers: fast sport mode, infinity focus, and so on to minimise the blur; mostly though, good strong light and an interesting subject to start with!)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

PH

« Reply #28 on: 05 June, 2012, 02:48:50 pm »
That looks like so much fun :thumbsup:
I'm off to google the kit necessary.  Details of what you used appreciated.

« Reply #29 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:31:30 am »
didnt even need to go out this morning, spotted these two happily mowing the lawn while i was having breakfast:

and he seemed to quite like the leaves on the plum tree:

(yes, I've already told MrsMike about shooting a deer in my pyjamas, etc...)

« Reply #30 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:02:27 am »
I like the Blacksmith photos, brings back happy memory’s for me.

The Blacksmith is a mighty man
He be mightier than any other man.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #31 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:37:17 am »
What was the deer doing in your pyjamas?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #32 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:43:34 am »
What was the deer doing in your pyjamas?

:thumbsup:

LEE

« Reply #33 on: 12 June, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »
Well, it was last week, in St Malo (not today) but I'm particularly pleased with my old Canon S70 which I haven't used in a year or so.

Surfer calls it a day before he gets dashed against the sea wall.

Later that night I balanced my camera on the sea wall and gave it a 15 second exposure, I love the results

ed_o_brain

« Reply #34 on: 13 June, 2012, 01:14:25 am »
I took this tonight whilst doing some on-location training with one of my clients:

Media City Panorama by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

And here is a comparative shot (you've probably seen before) taken on New Years Day:

Media City By Night by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 13 June, 2012, 01:23:27 am »

Wow.  This is an absolutely fantastic demonstration of how my colour vision fails me.  I had to ask someone to confirm the grey thing to the right of the plant pot was a deer, because I couldn't see where else it could be.  Then they mentioned the rabbit.   :facepalm:

I'm like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #36 on: 13 June, 2012, 08:17:08 am »
what rabbit?

LEE

« Reply #37 on: 13 June, 2012, 08:18:43 am »
What plant pot?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 13 June, 2012, 11:08:19 am »
Quote from: Cliff Richard
What car?
What girl?
What tree?
What kerb?
What are you talkin' about?
I never left the house
What keys?
What crash?
How dare you ask?
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #39 on: 01 July, 2012, 11:55:49 pm »
I suppose it is still today..

I was photographing some colleagues who were taking part in a challenge walk - 52 miles in under 24 hours. This is mostly off road in highland Perthshire following the Cateran trail. The challenge is to get pictures that cover the day's events which means getting to them at remote locations, getting the shot in challenging conditions and then getting to the next location in time.

Prep. I picked out a lightweight camera stand, my tripod (which is far from light), flash triggers and four lenses. 10-24, 17-70, 50 and 55-200. SB800, some grids and a few miscellanous bits. In addition I had my bike to enable transport.

The start was easy - get a nice posed photo before the beginning using the SB800 on the stand to add nicer light to an overcast day and then find some places where they come close to a road where I can walk in. That was the easy bit where anyone could do it. Nice photos, people smiling. On to the first water stop.

See my team go through, then it is up the road to find a parking space. I now have to put what I need into the rucksack and head cross country on the bike, over the river and up to the trail. As I am pedalling/walking up I hear a rushing stream. I scout a bit and find a bridge with a cascade underneath. Setting th ecamera to manual to catch the walker, I can use flash to fill in the undergrowth.

Untitled by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Standing waiting by the water I attract a lot of attention, of the small, buzzy and biting sort. So I extricate myself, and get some pics at the top whilst waiting for my team. They appear, I get pics as they approach, switch lenses and head back down the ravine to shoot them crossing the bridge. I screwed up, they were vey good about going back and walking over the bridge again. 

Pack up, grab the bike and follow the trail to catch up and get some more shots. I really should have put the knobblies on instead of my commuting slicks. And getting the bike over 8ft high stiles is not easy.

Catch up, find a nce point with some foxgloves as foreground interest and get some pics. These are still nice but nothing special. I head back to the car (having planned this bit as a circular trip) and head to the checkpoint. More pictures. Technically fine, nothing exciting but they capture that part. For the close up shots of tired feet I bounce the flash off the marquee ceiling.

And then I go home, to meet up with them in the evening. I have plans which will be far more challenging.

Up to Glen Isla, and I unpack the MTB to ride back up the trail till I find a nice location to shoot. The light is dropping (it is 9pm) and patchy overcast. The quality of light is fine, the quantity difficult with a D80 (only use 400 ISO and above when desperate) and I am trusting in the VR on the 55-200. Then the sun comes out. Lots of flare, but tweaking levels nicely highlights the local wildlife - all the bright specs are midges.

Night starts to fall. For the next shot I want to make use of the magic blue sky/clouds with a mountain background, illuminating the walkers with gridded flash. I park the car and ride uphill for a mile in the lowest of low gears. The trail follows just outside a pine plantation but I get the view I want. Set the camera up. It will be 1/15 sec with flash. The grids don't fit very well on the flash (I have now designed an adapter that I must molish soon) but I get them pointed in the right direction. I'm tempted to put a CTO gel on and set the WB to tungsten but that will reduce my available light too much.

I am joined by a few midges. And all their friends and relations. The local bats are busy swooping around to get their evening meal. Thanks to a bike patrol chappie I acquire some deet wipes. These are great - they deter 95% of midges, leaving me free reign for the other 50 squillion.. After an interminable wait the groups appear and I get some shots. Close but could have done better. Not bad for 'you only have one shot so make it count' as go back and do it again was not on the cards.

I retrace my steps glad to be out of the midges dining room. At the car I swap light stand for tripod as a chance conversation about the glowsticks each walker has for the night leg has given some ideas.

We meet at the tea stop, a small marquee in a field. I spend time whilst they are drinking to set the tripod up and try some test exposures. The light is fading fast but eventually it is good to go. Again, one shot, they aren't coming back to do it again. Click the shutter and fire off the flash manually during the 20 second exposure. Great glowstick trails. Balanced the ambient about right for what I wanted.

Into the night.. by davidmamartin, on Flickr

And so on to the next stop. This would be the hardest to get to. It is now proper dark, just gone midnight and it will take me a lot of time and effort to get to the next point. I park in Alyth and start riding up the hill (I had taken the opportunity of going home earlier to swap the knobblies onto the bike). The plan is to get a landscape view with head torch trails looking down from the top of Alyth Hill.  I ride, then walk as the track becomes steeper, and then it goes off tarmac and onto grass and boggy mud. It is warm - I am just in a helly hansen top, keeping the sleeves rolled down but there are no midges. The DEET on my face stings my eyes as I sweat and licking my lips is a bad thing.

I set the camera up and establish a test exposure - this will be long, on the order of minutes. In all I see three groups, the first one I discover that LED head torches are very bright, and have over exposed them. The second group weren't using head torches, just available light (just about doable), and the third group were mine. I had established where the boundaries of the shot were using a carefully placed bike light so as they came towards that poing I warned them to close their eyes before I fired off the flashgun. I had under estimated the distance so that was quite underexposed. And I should have allowed the shutter to stay pen for another few minutes to fill int he sky more, but it seemed to work OK for a first attempt. Hard work to get two just usable shots though.

And to the finish where at last I could unroll my bivvi bag and sleeping bag, and get about an hour snooze before getting up to meet them in.

It was still dark when they arrived at just gone 4am, but by the time we had done breakfast there was sufficient light to shoot some medal photos before heading home. I was knackered, but nothing like them after over 21 hours on their feet.

« Reply #40 on: 03 July, 2012, 08:52:14 am »
nice!  love the lightstick trails - that and the one in the evening sun walking towards are fantastic.

« Reply #41 on: 03 July, 2012, 09:09:40 am »
took my camera along to my twin sisters wedding yesterday - amazing day.

WP3P8847 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

they didnt have an official photographer and they'd asked me just to 'take loads', there's a few here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68792434@N03/sets/72157630400087722/

LEE

« Reply #42 on: 17 July, 2012, 03:44:34 pm »
took my camera along to my twin sisters wedding yesterday - amazing day.

WP3P8847 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

they didnt have an official photographer and they'd asked me just to 'take loads', there's a few here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68792434@N03/sets/72157630400087722/

You are nothing like I imagined.

PS.  I like your sister's coral necklace.

David Martin

« Reply #43 on: 17 July, 2012, 04:38:33 pm »
Playing with the S30 in the holiday park pool, after colour correction.

DSCN0547 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

David Martin

« Reply #44 on: 17 July, 2012, 04:57:20 pm »
And visiting a water wheel..

DSC_6999 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Blending timelapse and flash

DSC_7027 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

« Reply #45 on: 17 July, 2012, 05:45:48 pm »
Went to the pub on Sunday, with my cousin and her daughter.

Then someone borrowed my camera and got arty:

Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

ed_o_brain

« Reply #46 on: 18 July, 2012, 11:17:10 pm »
Nice capture with the first one and nice composition with the second.

I've been in the vicinity of Manchester Oxford Road for most last week and this week. I don't really do 'street' photography, but here's some of what I've captured - in no particular order:

Caught by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

Pose 4 da Camera by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

Costa costa costa costa by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

eyed suspiciously by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

traffic priority by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

A Suspicious Glance by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

iPod City Cyclist by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

Again, not really my usual territory and although I personally like what I'm churning out, would be nice to know what other people think.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #47 on: 22 July, 2012, 11:08:16 am »
Liking the cyclist pic

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #48 on: 23 July, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »
Great street photos Dan. I've begun doing some candid street stuff with my GF1/20mm and quite enjoy it but so far I've only been brave enough when I've been abroad.

Here are a few from the weekend trip to Paris (all straight out of the GF1 on the Dynamic B&W setting):

French Chic by Tompy, on Flickr

Faded by Tompy, on Flickr

Texting by Tompy, on Flickr

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #49 on: 23 July, 2012, 03:29:42 pm »
The child full face one is fantastic really sharp well done  :thumbsup: