Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471336 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #50 on: 06 August, 2008, 11:15:35 am »
So you didn't spit tea all over your copy when reading the letter bemoaning the unfinished story of your epic 600 and speculating about whether you or Charlotte got to ride off into the sunset with Steve?!

Some chap1 at the Mersey Roads asked me whether I was the partner of either Liz or Charlotte.  By the time I'd stopped laughing he'd buggered off ;D

1 - the same one who did a sports psychologist number on Liz while stroking her knee in a most alarming manner.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #51 on: 06 August, 2008, 11:47:11 am »

So you didn't spit tea all over your copy when reading the letter bemoaning the unfinished story of your epic 600 and speculating about whether you or Charlotte got to ride off into the sunset with Steve?!

Knowing the writer, it was tongue in cheek, though he probably doesn't know the full...er...ramifications of the situation.

« Reply #52 on: 06 August, 2008, 12:17:22 pm »
Still not bloody arrived.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #53 on: 06 August, 2008, 12:46:11 pm »
Oh yeah and another thing

The rosy fun "weasel" article about the Somerset Moors 300 forgot to mention that the ride was a really torturous, slow and irritating way to cover 300k

Despite it being local and the conditions being good this was my slowest ever 300.  I have never seen more crappy lanes joined up into a route.  There wasn't enough fast road to cover 300k in a reasonable fashion.

But from reading the article you'd think it was tea and cake and a pleasant roll round.

If I can think of a polite way of putting this maybe I'll write a letter to Arrivee

I hear this is what Gavin Greenhow's rides are like. 

Anyway, the pleasantness of a ride is entirely subjective.  What may be a crappy ride for some, may be heaven to someone else.

« Reply #54 on: 06 August, 2008, 01:28:51 pm »
I managed to get two articles published...

Really liked your perm write up, D0m1n1c.  :thumbsup:

I think your writing style is actually very similar to TG's (quite detailed), and I like his articles too.

Although sometimes TG's are a bit too detailed  :o
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #55 on: 06 August, 2008, 06:26:59 pm »

I think your writing style is actually very similar to TG's (quite detailed), and I like his articles too.

OK then scampi, a special article just for you.

I went out on my bike.
It was nice.

The End....

:P ;D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #56 on: 06 August, 2008, 09:45:49 pm »
I notice Wowbagger has an article in, too.

An' a very good article it is too.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #57 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

I make my Arrivee photo debut  :-X

It took a while to find you, but Mrs Fin spotted you and commented that the road was flat and you were not off the back. 

Are you mis-leading us with tales of your endeavours ?   ;)

« Reply #58 on: 06 August, 2008, 11:20:43 pm »
Some chap1 at the Mersey Roads asked me whether I was the partner of either Liz or Charlotte.  By the time I'd stopped laughing he'd buggered off ;D

You should've told him they were both your bitches.   :)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Maladict

« Reply #59 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:24:21 am »

1 - the same one who did a sports psychologist number on Liz while stroking her knee in a most alarming manner.

You have reminded me of Scott and my experiences at our Beverley control on the 600km perm just gone by.

I really must write the ride report, if only for the sake of recounting that rather interesting experience.

Oh, and I thought I saw a wolf man, but it turned out he had a tiger's head.

Scott has the proof.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #60 on: 07 August, 2008, 08:22:01 am »

Thanks Scampi, much appreciated  ;)

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #61 on: 07 August, 2008, 08:24:17 am »

Which article is his?

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #62 on: 07 August, 2008, 08:58:46 am »

Scott has the proof.

[/quote]

I do - but how do I add photos? I tried adding photos to the RR for the FP600, but all I got was the old small square with a cross in it. I presume there is a certain format and/or res that images have to be?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #63 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:56:16 am »

Which article is his?

The High Easter 100.

Notable for the sentence (and I paraphrase, I don't have it to hand) "I'm pleased [Mrs Wowbagger] didn't come along, because all that rape would have finished her off."  :o 

frere yacker

« Reply #64 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:16:47 pm »
The good thing about this issue, from a personal point of view, is that it has inspired me to pencil in some particular rides for next year.  In particular the Irish Mail and an Easter Arrow.

I'm also thinking of submitting an article, although this will depend on how the 1000km ride I'm doing next week goes...

Chris S

« Reply #65 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:28:45 pm »
I'm also thinking of submitting an article, although this will depend on how the 1000km ride I'm doing next week goes...

Not wishing you ill in any way for your ride - but even if it doesn't go to plan, a "successful failure" can still make a ripping good read, especially if it involves heroics - which on a 1000km is probably guaranteed ;).

Best wishes for the ride BTW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #66 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:47:33 pm »
For those still waiting for Arrivee, it landed in Australian letterboxes today.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #67 on: 07 August, 2008, 01:19:08 pm »
The good thing about this issue, from a personal point of view, is that it has inspired me to pencil in some particular rides for next year. 

I thought that was the point of Arrivee articles to inspire the readership to try different rides and maybe increase the distances that they ride.

I liked Dominic Bs DIY article as it gave the reader an idea on the planning required for these rides.     

« Reply #68 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:15:31 pm »
For those still waiting for Arrivee, it landed in Australian letterboxes today.

That must explain it. There's a fair number of Antipodeans around us in SW London.

Hoping it is on my doormat when I get home this evening.

Maladict

« Reply #69 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:22:01 pm »
It's crap.  You won't like it.

« Reply #70 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:20:11 pm »
I thought that was the point of Arrivee articles to inspire the readership to try different rides and maybe increase the distances that they ride.

I liked Dominic Bs DIY article as it gave the reader an idea on the planning required for these rides.     

Some of the reports/comments have certainly inspired me to do some different rides, as well as comments on this very forum.

« Reply #71 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:32:47 pm »

Cor! Good luck with that.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #72 on: 07 August, 2008, 07:11:54 pm »

Surely, you should submit a report anyway provided it's not a DNS. We all like to read about the successful riders, but I reckon that the most memorable PBP by any (y)ACFer was that which resulted in the jobshare between Larrington D. and M. le Maire de Mortagne-au-Perche.

It was Audax UK's answer to Apollo 13.

Oh, and a great big "Ithangyew" to all those who appreciated my drivel after the High Easter 100.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #73 on: 07 August, 2008, 08:25:41 pm »

I liked your article too Dominic.
Next time you plan a DIY, maybe you would like me to have a look at your route before you ride it. I might know what you can get at your control towns.
And yes, that road from Barton Le Clay to Hitchin is a bit lumpy.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #74 on: 08 August, 2008, 07:01:32 am »
The good thing about this issue, from a personal point of view, is that it has inspired me to pencil in some particular rides for next year. 

Thanks Pat.  There is certainly more involved in planning a DIY ride than I had thought.  I have now ridden several more such rides, so I am now getting the hang of it  ;)