Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 474134 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2725 on: 15 March, 2021, 08:28:12 pm »
Nice to see a man in his prime on the cover, for a change...  ;D

Remember the fuss when Arrivee had a photo of someone everesting on the front cover?  Just wait till they learn you were doing an event TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY times shorter than a 200 km audax!  :o

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #2726 on: 15 March, 2021, 09:42:46 pm »

Remember the fuss when Arrivee had a photo of someone everesting on the front cover?  Just wait till they learn you were doing an event TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY times shorter than a 200 km audax!  :o

;D ;D ;D

the irony isn't lost on me...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2727 on: 16 March, 2021, 08:54:18 am »
Arrived in Groningen (the Netherlands) as well. Two issues, I'll have a nice evening reading up  :)

Found two issues in my mailbox this morning, so I guess they were delivered yesterday.

I guess mail UK->NL has found some speed again...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2728 on: 16 March, 2021, 11:04:45 am »
My copy arrived yesterday, and as ever I am looking forward to sitting quietly and reading it. It seems there was a problem with pages 17 to 20 (and the corresponding pages on the other side of the staples) as they are badly misaligned. I very much suspect that this will be a one off but, anybody else have an issue?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2729 on: 16 March, 2021, 11:06:43 am »
The dogs and bears issue.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2730 on: 16 March, 2021, 11:33:24 am »
pages 17 to 20 (and the corresponding pages on the other side of the staples) as they are badly misaligned.

Mine's ok.

« Reply #2731 on: 16 March, 2021, 01:28:42 pm »
The dogs and bears issue.

That dogs article appears to be a rather laboured joke.

« Reply #2732 on: 16 March, 2021, 01:31:14 pm »
Mine arrived 10 mins ago

« Reply #2733 on: 16 March, 2021, 01:33:11 pm »
My copy arrived yesterday, and as ever I am looking forward to sitting quietly and reading it. It seems there was a problem with pages 17 to 20 (and the corresponding pages on the other side of the staples) as they are badly misaligned. I very much suspect that this will be a one off but, anybody else have an issue?

Pages 27/28 missing but have two 29/30 and the corresponding pages on other side of staples. 

« Reply #2734 on: 16 March, 2021, 02:25:24 pm »
My aeroplanes are sadly all the right way up.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2735 on: 16 March, 2021, 02:36:34 pm »
My copy arrived this morning and after a brief flick through, I have to say it looks most splendid. Look forward to reading it properly later. No printing issues with my copy either.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2736 on: 16 March, 2021, 02:46:15 pm »

;D ;D ;D

the irony isn't lost on me...

The cap was a clever subterfuge!  And I love it when young men call themselves geriatric.  Trust me, you ain't felt nothing yet!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2737 on: 16 March, 2021, 03:18:23 pm »

Outrageous! All that space wasted on non-long-distance cycling that could have been taken up with yet another report on the Bryan Chapman.

Talking of fuss... I was intrigued by the 'Notes for contributors' on p4 and can't help wondering if that was inspired by disgruntled feedback. I wholly support Ged's stance on contributions. He's a very experienced editor who knows what he is doing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #2738 on: 16 March, 2021, 03:43:10 pm »

Outrageous! All that space wasted on non-long-distance cycling that could have been taken up with yet another report on PBP

FTFY

ChillyPanda

« Reply #2739 on: 16 March, 2021, 04:03:39 pm »
Is the 'Superwheel' on page 7 an April Fool?

« Reply #2740 on: 16 March, 2021, 04:19:50 pm »
Didn't make Arrivee so it is making this thread.  A tribute to Liz Creese also known as 'the Mistress', 'the marmite queen', 'Aunty Lizzy'.  The lady AUK rider in who's tyre tracks I followed egged on by Rocco with the occasional gift of Bertie Bassessts for keeping my bike on the road. Without Liz, Rocco and JJ 'I used to be Jon Jennings, now I am just the front of the tandem' I wouldn't be here still riding and enjoying brevets.  And yes I ride rando and audax!

Liz's 300 which ran for about 4 editions and has become affectionately known as 'the Mistress' 300 appeared in my first SR in 1999 and then in my 20th SR last year.

http://judithswallow.com/2021/03/16/back-to-the-future/

« Reply #2741 on: 16 March, 2021, 05:07:07 pm »
Is the 'Superwheel' on page 7 an April Fool?

It looks like it should be. But digging through the Facebook link and website the answer is people believe in it.

(All of the pictures show it attached to utility bikes and BSOs rather than racing bikes. Presumably because the UCI have a ban on perpetual motion machines)

« Reply #2742 on: 16 March, 2021, 05:20:45 pm »
Didn't make Arrivee so it is making this thread.  A tribute to Liz Creese also known as 'the Mistress', 'the marmite queen', 'Aunty Lizzy'.  The lady AUK rider in who's tyre tracks I followed egged on by Rocco with the occasional gift of Bertie Bassessts for keeping my bike on the road. Without Liz, Rocco and JJ 'I used to be Jon Jennings, now I am just the front of the tandem' I wouldn't be here still riding and enjoying brevets.  And yes I ride rando and audax!

Liz's 300 which ran for about 4 editions and has become affectionately known as 'the Mistress' 300 appeared in my first SR in 1999 and then in my 20th SR last year.

Enjoyed that.

« Reply #2743 on: 16 March, 2021, 05:57:19 pm »
Arrived in Groningen (the Netherlands) as well. Two issues, I'll have a nice evening reading up  :)

Your mail is faster than mine (even though we live only 2km apart), but Arrivée has also arrived in my remote suburb.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2744 on: 16 March, 2021, 08:06:17 pm »

Your mail is faster than mine (even though we live only 2km apart), but Arrivée has also arrived in my remote suburb.

It has not yet made it this far north of Watford Gap.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #2745 on: 16 March, 2021, 08:42:10 pm »

Agree with Phil, thanks for writing that, I enjoyed that.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2746 on: 16 March, 2021, 08:43:42 pm »
I am amused by the editor’s bald statement that nicknames or aliases are not acceptable. That would, of course, rule out contributions from the likes of Velocio, Wayfarer or indeed Amnesiac AUK. Arrivee is the club’s magazine for their members, not something sold in the newsagent. Frankly, if the editor doesn't understand this, the editor can fuck off to wherever they like.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2747 on: 17 March, 2021, 07:12:20 am »
Great read. HK sad it didnt make it tn to the auk mag.

« Reply #2748 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:24:18 am »
T0 HK today.
Many thanks for that contribution, Liz and Rocco were prominent at a time when it really was "audacious", paper route sheets, lights that were inadequate and "proper" steel bikes!   I have many happy memories of them when they ventured north and I remember an incident on a Semaine when I heard Liz about two hairpins behind before they caught me.

« Reply #2749 on: 17 March, 2021, 01:42:31 pm »
It was interesting following the last edition featuring electric bikes that there was a double page of letters, all in support of their inclusion in AUK events. There’s obviously a lot of interest, but I’m surprised that only supportive letters were sent to the publication, knowing the usual diversity of opinion we enjoy.