Author Topic: Licentiateship. Which Body?  (Read 1177 times)

Afasoas

Licentiateship. Which Body?
« on: 27 March, 2013, 09:34:59 pm »
Probably best asking this on a photography forum, but in my experience there's very little impartial advice.
It's about time I got my Licenciateship. Which body? RPS? BIPP? SWPP/SICIP?

Just now I'm thinking RPS.

BIPP - aimed at "earning photographers", looks to have the most stringent requirements and appears to be the most expensive. I couild probably scrape through with a panel of commercial work. Also seem to have the best and most up to date website. Successful qualification means demonstrating evidence of successful workflows for both image production and administration. The former, is no problem. That latter - it's complicated by the fact I freelance for other photographers and that means I'm not responsible for the administration.

The Societies (SWPP/SICIP) - cheapest. Looks to be about the easiest with which to obtain the licenciateship. Aimed at "earning photographers".

RPS - open to earning and amateur photographers alike. Good website. Solid guidance available on obtaining qualification.

Thoughts?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Licentiateship. Which Body?
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2013, 09:45:28 pm »
At one time I think I could have got it just by paying RPS about £200 for the exemption.  However, checking their website they now only accept A or A* at A-level, and I have a B (done at night school 16 years ago).  That's grade inflation for you  ::-)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Licentiateship. Which Body?
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2013, 11:43:34 am »
Afasoas: It really depends on the direction you want to go in photography. If you have ambitions to make your living in the profession then go for the BIPP or MPA. Should it be that you want to work towards a qualification to improve your skills, then the RPS is a good way to go.

During my 30 odd years in the profession I was in all three but I still think my Fellowship of the RPS carries most credence among the general public throughout the world. When I retired I resigned from the BIPP and MPA although both would still recognise my past qualifications. My brother who still runs a studio, is a member of both professional bodies, favours the MPA as giving the most help to him in the business.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home