Author Topic: Filtered water  (Read 2640 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Filtered water
« on: 06 September, 2008, 07:02:08 am »
Im thinking of getting a water filter but not heard of many other than Brita so anyone have a decent water filter they would recommend?  :thumbsup:

Our water tastes  :sick: at the moment

Re: Filtered water
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2008, 07:03:03 am »
hmmm identity issues that was me posting  :demon:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2008, 07:41:40 am »
Those jug things are OK but labour intensive ... if you plan staying in the house for a while it's worth making the investment in a plumbed in filter. 

We have a Franke kitchen tap that has 3 options - Hot, Cold and Filtered ... the filter gadget is plumbed in the cold feed.   The tap delivers either Cold (as is from the reservoir!) or filters it through the extra tap.

There is no reason that you couldn't just fit an extra tap that has the filter feeding it.

I can't remember what it cost but it's excellent - need a new filter cartridge every couple of years (there's 2 of us most of the time) ... as I said you need to look at the longer term.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2008, 09:01:17 am »

« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2008, 07:16:24 pm »
All our drinking water is filtered and the two filter types are the best. The makes available are usually Japanese, Korean and previously ones imported from the USA. I replace the filters once each year and also clean them every few months.

If you cannot find a reliable Supplier, I would google for names and maybe import one with spare filters. Mine was bought new about eight years ago and still works OK.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2008, 12:58:23 am »
Nowt wrong with a Brita jug. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2008, 07:32:08 am »
We've wondered from time to time about using filtered water. I drink about three litres of the stuff a day - straight from the tap, and the water round here is really hard (I have to descale the shower heads once a month). I was told a long time ago that hard water causes kidney stones, but read recently that that is hokum.

So - not so sure now. The taste is fine - just concerned about long term effects of drinking hard water really.

« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2008, 08:04:31 am »
We use a Brita filter jug for all tea / coffee water that is boiled in the kettle.  If not we get loads of sediment as our water is so hard in these parts.
The water actually tastes fine, but it is very very hard.

We don't follow the manufacturers guidance though and normally keep the filters going for longer as they appear to be working fine, even if the little black LCD is flashing to tell me to change it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2008, 10:25:47 am »
Hard water is fine.
Soft water is associated with heart disease.
Blip & Maffie are in Manchester where the water is so soft it lathers forever (and Glod knows what crud it can and will dissolve). Filtering water will remove solid lumps but the thing that taint taste are mainly dissolved in the water and won't get filtered.

London tap water is hard and I like it with or without lumps!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2008, 12:48:34 pm »
The water here is so hard, it invites London water into the car park for a fight with pool cues.

Hard water is better for you, although not for your hot water cylinder, kettle, coffe maker etc.  We have to use distilled water in the iron, otherwise it spits white lumps over all the clothes  :-\
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2008, 04:46:14 pm »
The water in Bangkok is  allegedly not up to World Health Standards and most people buy bottles of filtered water.
I am supposed to drink three litres each day and hence ownership of a filter system and the convenience of just needing to turn a tap is well worthwhile. The maintenance costs are minimal.

« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2008, 05:37:53 pm »
Its the taste that is the worst thing. We buy so much bottled water at the moment that I wondered if using filters would be more cost effective

« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2008, 05:43:58 pm »
... add a drop of lemon juice?
Or get used to it? I like Mcr water; and it does make wonderful tea  :D

« Reply #13 on: 07 September, 2008, 06:07:13 pm »
Filtering water is very cheap and the cost of the two types of filter which we use is not really expensive. One filter is carbon and the other some kind of plastic woven cloth combined with waterproof paper? Try Googling for Domestic Water Filters and it may produce some better details? TBH I am not sure how much the taste changes as it depends on the minerals in it. I like the taste I get but my wife prefers one of the many local bottled products. Mind you she still drinks a load of my produce and cooks with it also :P

Note also that temperatures here are normally between 70 & 100 degrees Fahrenheit year round and water is consumed all the time.

Karen Sutton

« Reply #14 on: 08 September, 2008, 10:15:15 am »
Maffie,
We have a plumbed in filter which you are welcome to check out if you get over here again.  It's one of these

http://www.pozzani.co.uk/water-filters-30/product_info.html?osCsid=189caf48f3c75239c113a95ce8f3fb19

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 08 September, 2008, 10:27:27 am »
We use a Brita filter jug - there are generics available - which seems to do OK.

I'm used to a wide variety of waters, but the best I've ever tasted was straight off millstone grit.
Getting there...