Author Topic: Disabled Bath/Shower  (Read 3780 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Disabled Bath/Shower
« on: 12 August, 2008, 01:32:01 am »
Heylo,

I am effectively disabled at the moment and find it a huge task getting into the bath to have a bath or shower, what can one do short of building in a new seperate shower as it's a very nice very nice bathroom.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Disabled Bath/Shower
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2008, 06:27:18 am »

Try contacting your local OT, may be self referral or via gp.

They should be able to provide products/advice. Unfortunatly there may be a waiting list

« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2008, 09:35:20 am »
You buy a relatively cheap Bath Board to rest across the bath.  You then sit on it and swivel your legs in to the bath.  You then sit there and shower.

bath lifts, walk in baths and showers - for disabled and older people - Bathing made easy,  free impartial advice

Bath Lifts, Bath Cushions, Bath Boards and Bath Seats

Essential Aids - Daily Living Aids for the UK

Bath boards | British Red Cross

Many local authorities run a Disablity unit that will have these on display.   Can be VAT free if you have a suitable diagnosis.

e.g. http://www.hadnet.org.uk/  supplied similar for my mother when she lost a lot of mobility.  They may have links to somewhere near you.

Late thought - they probably have them in B&Q or similar.

annie

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2008, 09:43:20 am »
I would suggest contacting the OT, they have a whole host of gadgets to help make your life a little easier.  Some of the boards that are placed over the bath enable you to sit down and slide yourself across and in without to much hassle.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2008, 04:09:31 pm »
Ooh bath boards sound like the thing :) thanks all :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2008, 05:57:22 pm »
Might be worthwhile asking Kirst for advice.  I think she deals with this sort of thing at work.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2008, 06:14:18 pm »
Aye :) She did say get involed with the local team cos they have things like risers etc.

Support Equilibrium

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2008, 08:10:47 pm »
 Like they said Sam, check with your local OT department.

I hope it's a temporary situation you are trying to resolve, because long term it has just taken approx four years to get a downstairs bedroom with shower room fitted for Holly and we still had to pay more towards it, hence my reduced mileage this year.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2008, 09:31:03 pm »
It's always worth checking with a local OT Dept but they have waiting lists.  A local Action on Disability centre is great as the staff are on hand and can demo various products and discuss needs.   It may cost a few pounds but it gets you into the shower.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2008, 01:17:29 pm »
Might be worthwhile asking Kirst for advice.  I think she deals with this sort of thing at work.

Indeed, I am an OT.

Sorry Sam, I missed this thread altogether.

Your best bet is to contact your local social work department and ask for an OT assessment, but they probably have a long waiting list, and bathing usually isn't a priority. You could ring the district nurses at your GP practice - sometimes they can access simple bath equipment. If you don't want to wait, you might want to think about private purchase.

Which bit is difficult for you? Is it the climbing over the bath to get in, standing in the bath for a length of time to have a shower, or sitting down into the bath to have a bath, or getting up to standing when you've been sitting in the bath? Or all of that?

As long as your bath has a decent lip on both sides, you might manage with a board or a board and seat.

Something like this fits across the bath (they have brackets underneath and you secure them so they don't scoot all over the bath) and you sit on it and swing your legs over the side. Then you can either stand and shower, or sit and shower, then to get out again you sit back on it and swing your legs back over. They come in different sizes for different widths of bath, and they're about £20.

If you prefer to have a bath, you might want a board as above, and a seat. You would use the board as above, then lower yourself onto the seat, have your bath, then raise yourself back onto the board and get out again as above. Seats are about £20 as well.

Boards and seats work well for some people, but you don't get a proper soak in the bath, and as you're having multiple muscle problems, you might not manage them when you're having a bad day - you might be better with just the board and forget having a bath. If you've got loadsamoney you might consider a powered bath lift - they take you right to the bottom of the bath and some have reclining backs so you can get a proper soak. They're about £500 though. You have to be careful that the flaps don't get stuck in the bath handles as it comes back up though, or you're facing some expensive repairs.

Oh, and there are swivel bathers too. Again, you need a decent lip on both sides of the bath, and they're about £200. You fit it to the bath, sit in it, swivel it round over the bath (lifting your legs over) and then have your shower above the bath and then swivel back to get off.

If you have a Disabled Living Centre nearby (the social work department will be able to tell you) you can go and try things out before committing yourself to buying something. Independent advice from a DLC is much better than "advice" from a sales rep. Let me know if I can help in any way.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2008, 04:09:35 pm »
My OT arranged for me to be supplied with a bath lift as I don't have the strength to get out of the bath.
These can be removed fully from the bathroom.
The synthetic rubber hinges on the side of the seat failed and snapped after a while.
The bath lift was replaced when 'obsolete' with a new lift, which runs on tiny NiCad batteries, in January this year. The charger of the first failed (it was brand new), after which I was supplied with a 'refurbished' model. The battery pack here did not retain its charge long enough for me to take a proper bath. (I like to get into the bath, wet my naughty bits, then stand up and soap them, then get back into the water to rinse off.)
My bath lift has since been replaced again but it looks like the battery pack again does not have the gumption to cope with my deviant bathing habits.
I should be grateful I have a bath lift though. Brent do at least supply them.
In Barnet, a strip wash is deemed to be adequate.
I weigh 70kg. My current bath lift is a Mangar Archimedes. It would be fine but the batteries aren't up to the job.

My first bathlift was powered by a huge (lead-acid I think) battery pack, which lasted several baths between charges. The batteries for the Archimedes are part of the handset, which measures about 6cm x 8cm x 15cm.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2008, 04:22:28 pm »
I think the Archimedes is quite new. We're not using Mangars just now; I think our current stock is Neptunes. It's useful to know that there are problems though - they all break down eventually but some are better than others.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2008, 04:40:30 pm »
I understand certain clubs in Soho offer "assisted showers"  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13 on: 07 September, 2008, 06:14:33 pm »
That sounds dodgy - wot :P
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #14 on: 07 September, 2008, 10:09:11 pm »
Thankfully I was sorted out ok, I have a board that sits on the bath with a seat that rotates and moves on rails.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 07 September, 2008, 10:18:48 pm »
That sounds dodgy - wot :P

Oh, it is...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 07 September, 2008, 11:07:22 pm »
I think the Archimedes is quite new. We're not using Mangars just now; I think our current stock is Neptunes. It's useful to know that there are problems though - they all break down eventually but some are better than others.

The previous refurbed Archimedes was over two years old. Many battery packs have life problems at that stage.