Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 436928 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2450 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:14:57 pm »
Decide I'm going to paint the (very rusty) railings at the front of the house while MrsC is away. Derust, paint. The sun is low while I'm finishing the painting, so I'm squinting a bit as I work.

Next day, look at railings. Few little spots missed, particularly around curlicues. NP, I'll touch that up.

Except I won't. Because I've painted it in Hammerite smooth, which has an overcoat time of 30m - 4hours or two weeks later.

Arse, and double arse. I could have touched it up the same day. Now I have to wait two weeks, which will be after MrsC returns.

It’s in a marine environment. It’ll rust anyway. Just paint it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2451 on: 02 June, 2021, 02:46:16 pm »
Get changed to go cycling, collect bike, carry it downstairs, get on bike.
Only at this point do I realise that I am wearing my road cycling shoes, which have cleats, but am about to ride my mountain bike, which has flat pedals. So I had to go back up to the flat to change my shoes. Mr fimm thought this was hilarious.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2452 on: 02 June, 2021, 04:12:23 pm »
Only at this point do I realise that I am wearing my road cycling shoes, which have cleats, but am about to ride my mountain bike, which has flat pedals. So I had to go back up to the flat to change my shoes. Mr fimm thought this was hilarious.
I once stood next to my bike outside the front door ready for the morning commute with a strong feeling that something was wrong.  I eventually realised what it was.
"Ah, no cleats on these bedroom slippers."
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2453 on: 02 June, 2021, 06:28:44 pm »
I once stood next to my bike outside the front door ready for the morning commute with a strong feeling that something was wrong.  I eventually realised what it was.

My worst was...
arrive at work, take bike into server room.
take off lycra and hang on back of biggest and warmest server to dry
put on work suit left on rack overnight
 finish tying shoe laces ...    stand up ....  walk to door ...   realise trousers are still on the desk.

ten seconds later I'd have swiped the security card and entered the crowded foyer of the entire building waiting for the lifts to their floors.

« Reply #2454 on: 02 June, 2021, 06:54:00 pm »
Pah once "lost" a sealskin sock I used to wear over my work socks when cycling home in winter. The really tight other shoe didn't give me enough of a clue that I'd stuck both extra socks on the same foot.

Incidentally in mid winter when it would freeze your camelbak tube I'd put a carrier bag between the socks for extra warmth

« Reply #2455 on: 02 June, 2021, 08:53:55 pm »
Arrive at work to find underwear was still at home!  Cue for wearing two sets of Theatre scrubs

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2456 on: 02 June, 2021, 09:18:58 pm »

Yep - I did that about 3 weeks ago.

« Reply #2457 on: 03 June, 2021, 02:02:40 pm »
Cycled into work* this morning to sign a leaving card. Got back home to realise I'm not wearing my padded mitts . There's one clinging grimly to the rack where I put it after taking them off, so had to retrace my route in the hope of finding the other. I did, 100m away from work.

*OK, the education & environment centre for young people that I sometimes run sessions at. What with Covid and L.A. cuts I haven't been doing much for them of late.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2458 on: 03 June, 2021, 02:29:40 pm »
Didn't Andy Allsop turn up at the start of his first audax, look down at his feet and think "Crivens! These are not the clipless shoes I need."?  Extra bonus Divery is due, as his first Audax was LEL.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2459 on: 03 June, 2021, 05:17:11 pm »
Arrive at work to find underwear was still at home!  Cue for wearing two sets of Theatre scrubs

Women have a distinct advantage here as a pair of knickers is so insubstantial that it's always possible to hide spare/emergency undies almost anywhere so they're usually available.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2460 on: 03 June, 2021, 05:52:32 pm »

Women have a distinct advantage here as a pair of knickers is so insubstantial that it's always possible to hide spare/emergency undies almost anywhere so they're usually available.

Trouser leg would be traditional...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2461 on: 03 June, 2021, 07:12:49 pm »

Trouser leg would be traditional...
only to be found after you have taken creative action to overcome the issues associated with going commando.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2462 on: 08 June, 2021, 05:27:06 pm »
The project continues and in spite of being knackered from the (up to now) 8 days of manual labour, mentally I’m feeling good. 

However, I have discovered why all the training films I watched as an apprentice said not to hold work pieces in the hand when using a screwdriver or (though no one would be so stupid) an electric drill. I now have a ‘tight’ red index finger with a neat 3mm pilot hole in it above the top knuckle.  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2463 on: 08 June, 2021, 07:47:33 pm »
ouch
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2464 on: 08 June, 2021, 09:10:42 pm »
Who took my fettling injury title away from me whilst I had a sabbatical?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2465 on: 08 June, 2021, 09:12:58 pm »
Of course, the only interest shown by either of the nurses I currently live with (Dr Beardy and Ms Beardy the younger) is the possibility of it needing to be aspirated, a task which they may come to blows over who gets to do it! No actual sympathy obv.

« Reply #2466 on: 12 June, 2021, 11:43:58 am »
So , I bought a Panasonic Breadmaker.   Well regarded & pretty foolproof you'd think ?   You've not met this pretty fool.....   

1st loaf OK.
2nd loaf I added the dry ingredients , but forgot to add water.   I realised this when I opened the thing up after 4 hours to find a load of lightly toasted flour....
3rd loaf I added all the dry ingredients, added the water, set the thing to Go, then noticed the paddle sitting on the bench next to the machine, where I'd left it after cleaning up the previous mess.

:facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2467 on: 12 June, 2021, 12:24:13 pm »
Next trick is to omit the yeast  ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2468 on: 12 June, 2021, 05:11:35 pm »
As it was quarter past four I thought I'd turn on the telly to see how the first 15 minutes had gone for the Welsh footy team.  I was presented with Gareth Bale in a post match interview.  Doh.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2469 on: 12 June, 2021, 09:19:31 pm »
Next trick is to omit the yeast  ;D

Been there, done that.

I couldn't decide whether to eat the cannonball or take it down the range and offer it to the cannon section to test.

« Reply #2470 on: 15 June, 2021, 06:30:46 pm »
Yesterday I found an unset mousetrap on the garage floor with a nibbled peanut.  I don't recall leaving it there.  I put it out of danger on a shelf.
This morning I noticed that the peanut was no more.
Conclusion: I have visitors again.

New peanut fitted, trap placed in yesterday's position.   Mental note made that it was a silly position and I mustn't step on it.

This evening, guess what I stepped on... :facepalm:

« Reply #2471 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:29:05 pm »
A peanut?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2472 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:49:57 pm »
It’s fine to tip the poaching water from the pan straight down the sink.

Just remember to take the egg out first.

Especially if it was your last egg.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2473 on: 15 June, 2021, 10:12:35 pm »
You need to shell out for some more.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2474 on: 15 June, 2021, 11:34:14 pm »
It’s no yolk when you do that.