Author Topic: Which mattress?  (Read 11790 times)

Re: Which mattress?
« Reply #50 on: 21 February, 2021, 10:37:25 pm »
Cheers J.

I was wrong about the unidirectional thing - I see they do recommend you give it a 180 every 30 days for a year, then 6 monthly thereafter.
I've ignored all of that.
The mattress still works.

Yes - but does it work as well as if you'd rotated it  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #51 on: 21 February, 2021, 11:25:20 pm »
We couldn't turn our previous JL mattress and still have it correctly oriented. It still worked.
We can turn our current JL mattress but only twice per year with the seasons. It still works.

Ideally, mattresses should be turned frequently through all four possible orientations. I suppose they my get lumpier in places if not turned, or not last quite so long.

« Reply #52 on: 21 February, 2021, 11:41:24 pm »
We couldn't turn our previous JL mattress and still have it correctly oriented. It still worked.
We can turn our current JL mattress but only twice per year with the seasons. It still works.

Ideally, mattresses should be turned frequently through all four possible orientations. I suppose they my get lumpier in places if not turned, or not last quite so long.
We spent a *lot* of money on a John Lewis mattress a couple of years ago. Can't recall brand/model but I will say this: comfy it may be, but it is an absolute bugger to lift when you're changing the sheets. I think we may have changed the orientation just once - we have moved house after all. But this is a real monster when you're changing the bedding: not something I had considered beforehand, but definitely something I would take into consideration when buying in the future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 22 February, 2021, 12:06:55 am »
I think the website does give a weight for their mattresses.
I read 53kg for ours IIRC.

I leave turning to D + cleaner.

« Reply #54 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:57:24 am »
Hypnos.  You can't beat them.  But they aren't cheap.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #55 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:48:26 am »
Eve doesn't get as toasty as other memory foam mattresses.
I've tried both.
Eve is way cooler.

Is your Eve mattress the 'Original', or the more spendy 'Premium' and 'Premium Hybrid'?

« Reply #56 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:57:06 am »
Eve doesn't get as toasty as other memory foam mattresses.
I've tried both.
Eve is way cooler.

Is your Eve mattress the 'Original', or the more spendy 'Premium' and 'Premium Hybrid'?
I'm pretty sure that when I bought mine there wasn't an option.
However, I've just dug out my order confirmation, and it doesn't give a type, just the size.
It was £699.00 for a king size in 2016 - so you may be able guess it from that.

ETA: Having looked at their website mine is the original memory foam jobbie.
Not the hybrid or premium hybrid.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #57 on: 22 February, 2021, 12:32:50 pm »
 :thumbsup: Many thanks Jurek, much appreciated

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #58 on: 23 February, 2021, 04:32:50 pm »
Just placed an order for a double EVE Original mattress. The 100 day no like, return, free collection + refund was too tempting (they state they will collect from one's bedroom)

Plus also got a further £50 discount from:

https://www.whatmattress.uk/mattress-reviews/eve-mattress-review/?affcoups_coupon=968

So that's £439. The punt has been taken - we shall see

Thanks everyone for their inputs - any decision making is an increasingly painful struggle in slopeworld these days :-\

ps to replace the original Vi-Spring Regal Supreme mattress would cost circa £3150 :o

« Reply #59 on: 23 February, 2021, 04:36:58 pm »
Just placed an order for a double EVE Original mattress. The 100 day no like, return, free collection + refund was too tempting (they state they will collect from one's bedroom)

Plus also got a further £50 discount from:

https://www.whatmattress.uk/mattress-reviews/eve-mattress-review/?affcoups_coupon=968

So that's £439. The punt has been taken - we shall see

Thanks everyone for their inputs - any decision making is an increasingly painful struggle in slopeworld these days :-\

ps to replace the original Vi-Spring Regal Supreme mattress would cost circa £3150 :o
Sounds like you've done well  :thumbsup:
ETA:  I'll be interested to know how you get on.
I knew after my first night's sleep - but then, I'd been sleeping on a second-hand, rock-hard futon base for the best part of 25 years.  ::-)

« Reply #60 on: 23 February, 2021, 08:15:28 pm »
any decision making is an increasingly painful struggle in slopeworld these days :-\

My plan is to dither until the 30% offer expires. Then to have to start again with the completely different set of options I will then have. Probably start a new thread on it too: “what width of bed?” is a strong possibility.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #61 on: 26 February, 2021, 03:52:54 pm »
The Eve Original foamy standard double mattress arrived yesterday and was lugged up the monsterously slippery when wet rough faced, uneven Welsh stone steps. Excitedly unboxed, unwrapped and watched in awe as it unfurled and grew into a 25cm deep double jobbie. The full expansion took about 4 hours all told.

I was so prepared to NOT like it - being a right on 'Mr Natural' cotton/hemp/wool/pocket springy organic type of dude, in my mind's eye.

But going on one night's sleep, two of my fears have been alleviated - it doesn't feel at all hot, as has sometimes been suggested these things might, and I couldn't detect any smell (also reports of vague chemical whiffs for a day or two), probably cos I lost most of my normally acute sense of smell in June 2019 ::-)

Most importantly, it was supremely comfortable and supportive, like a dream come true? Not too hard (which was another was thing I was catatrophising about) and not too soft. It's mounted on the original 1995 Vi-Spring sprung divan base, which seems almost as new. Basically it "rocks" with banish the doubt pleasure. Early days for sure though, we shall see?

It's very likely a keeper and made me realise just how buggered and possibly damaging to me, the 26 year old Vi-Spring had become. As mentioned previously, the replacement mattress for it is now £3150! - I remember when it was first purchased, the question was asked how long does a thing this spendy last - the dapper besuited trustworthy grey haired salesman, who'd worked all his life in Newbury's finest department store, suggested 10 years, that was in 1995.

The Eve Original double has cost £439 (with a discount code I found online) - if it gives pleasure and comfort for 5 years I'll be cock-a-hoop.

And thank you Jurek and Valiant :thumbsup:

https://www.evesleep.co.uk/products/the-original-foam-mattress?variant=32503028514867

« Reply #62 on: 26 February, 2021, 04:51:35 pm »
The Eve Original foamy standard double mattress arrived yesterday and was lugged up the monsterously slippery when wet rough faced, uneven Welsh stone steps. Excitedly unboxed, unwrapped and watched in awe as it unfurled and grew into a 25cm deep double jobbie. The full expansion took about 4 hours all told.

I was so prepared to NOT like it - being a right on 'Mr Natural' cotton/hemp/wool/pocket springy organic type of dude, in my mind's eye.

But going on one night's sleep, two of my fears have been alleviated - it doesn't feel at all hot, as has sometimes been suggested these things might, and I couldn't detect any smell (also reports of vague chemical whiffs for a day or two), probably cos I lost most of my normally acute sense of smell in June 2019 ::-)

Most importantly, it was supremely comfortable and supportive, like a dream come true? Not too hard (which was another was thing I was catatrophising about) and not too soft. It's mounted on the original 1995 Vi-Spring sprung divan base, which seems almost as new. Basically it "rocks" with banish the doubt pleasure. Early days for sure though, we shall see?

It's very likely a keeper and made me realise just how buggered and possibly damaging to me, the 26 year old Vi-Spring had become. As mentioned previously, the replacement mattress for it is now £3150! - I remember when it was first purchased, the question was asked how long does a thing this spendy last - the dapper besuited trustworthy grey haired salesman, who'd worked all his life in Newbury's finest department store, suggested 10 years, that was in 1995.

The Eve Original double has cost £439 (with a discount code I found online) - if it gives pleasure and comfort for 5 years I'll be cock-a-hoop.

And thank you Jurek and Valiant :thumbsup:

https://www.evesleep.co.uk/products/the-original-foam-mattress?variant=32503028514867
'S good. Innit?
My conversion was pretty much instantaneous.
Nighty-night.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #63 on: 03 March, 2021, 11:45:02 am »
I just noticed they have a referral scheme that gives you both £50 off just incase anyone else is interested!

http://friends.evemattress.co.uk/f9brV

I need to buy 3 mattresses for a friend, can I get 3 referrals and £50 off each?

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #64 on: 04 March, 2021, 04:13:42 pm »
I just noticed they have a referral scheme that gives you both £50 off just incase anyone else is interested!

http://friends.evemattress.co.uk/f9brV

I need to buy 3 mattresses for a friend, can I get 3 referrals and £50 off each?

The Eve Original I just bought came with a friend referral email link. The friend then clicks through to get a "£100 off your first order".

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #65 on: 04 March, 2021, 05:35:37 pm »
Mine is memory foam and I hate it because it's so hot.  It's 8 years old next year so I'm going to use that as an excuse to replace it, even though the 8 year thing is marketing BS.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #66 on: 04 March, 2021, 06:21:56 pm »
Mine is memory foam and I hate it because it's so hot.  It's 8 years old next year so I'm going to use that as an excuse to replace it, even though the 8 year thing is marketing BS.

I've always considered myself a "hot" sleeper :hand:

But as mentioned by Jurek and Valiant, this particular mattress doesn't plague us with this issue. Maybe 8 years is a long time ago with regard foaming "technology"?

And I am a dyed in the wool sceptic about these kinda things.

Perhaps RogerZ, I could persuade you to buy another of my bicycles please - the unridden 1980 custom updated Dawes Super Galaxy, this time - you and SO might like to spend the night and try the mattress out whilst it's still newish?

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #67 on: 02 June, 2021, 05:46:15 pm »
It's near the end of my 100 days money back trial sleeping on an Eve 'original' double mattress. Just £439 with discounts back in February.

No way is it going back for a refund. It's positively surpassed all expectations

Thanks again Jurek and Valiant for the reccomendation  :thumbsup:

« Reply #68 on: 02 June, 2021, 05:56:44 pm »
Sounds like a result  :)

« Reply #69 on: 02 June, 2021, 06:23:40 pm »
We bought a very spendy Harrison Spinks for our euro king-size last year.  We had to wait a few months due to covid and we got it in December.

I have to turn it one week then flip it the next for six months whilst it settles in.  It is a hefty thing and I imagine many owners would quickly tire of doing so.

It is supremely comfortable.  Given how much time we humans spend in bed it's worth the spend in our opinion.

The six month flip / rotate period is over and now.  The mattress has a winter and a summer side so flip twice yearly but also advises to rotate at least once between flips.  Think that I'll rotate monthly just to spread the compression over time.

It is a supremely comfy mattress and we sleep so well on it.  What price a good kip?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 02 June, 2021, 08:30:39 pm »
I've not yet turned my hefty, spendy John Lewis Windermere onto its summer side yet. As there's a 'his' & 'hers' side and I can only use the right-hand side of the bed, it only gets turned twice per year. I'm comfortable. I think D might have had lass left shoulder gyp if he'd chosen a softer tension but he reckons his back needs firm.
Will turn next week.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #71 on: 05 March, 2022, 11:01:48 am »
I'm due to replace my 90x200cm (Euro size) IKEA latex mattress that was really a bit too thin at the best of times but it's also completely worn out now, and it's hurting my shoulders, hips and thighs.  Some nights it's like sleeping on a camping air mat that has inexplicably half-deflated during the night.

The big problem is, I'm really struggling to find (m)any mattresses that are 200cm or longer.  Many of you know I'm quite tall.  My IKEA mattress sits on a custom 215cm rigid (unslatted) base that was made for me many years ago when I had a matching, quite firm, foam mattress.  The space beyond the foot of the IKEA mattress is filled with a cardboard box that just happens to be the right size.  ::-)

Sometimes I sleep stretched out on my back, which means my feet hang off the end of every hotel bed I've ever slept in.  The rest of the time I sleep somewhat curled up on one side or the other, so I can happily get away with an ordinary 190cm mattress.  Thing is, I sleep in all three orientations, multiple times a night.  I don't need anything beyond a standard single mattress, and I haven't the space for some fancy King size bed just to get the length.

I've been to all the bed places near me, and they all offer paltry trial periods like 40 days, 60 days, no refunds, only credits.  And frankly they all feel like used car salesmen in there.

I quite liked the IKEA HÖVÅG medium-firm mattress but just when I finally resolved to buy one (yesterday) they told me they aren't doing the Euro size anymore, and were due to end the whole range in a couple of months' time.  I liked the feel of a Slumberland Rollo Hybrid Duo that I found in Bensons, but it's only 190cm.

What's a gal to do?  Eve don't do a Euro or longer single, nor do Simba, Emma, Nectar, Hypnos, John Lewis, Ergoflex or any others.  For what it's worth I found the Simba way too firm, while John Lewis had one or two pocket sprung mattresses I loved but the price was simply too high.  JL consistently tops my customer service scoreboard though.  Archers allegedly has a Sareer, of whom I've never heard, "gel-lex" mattress in 200cm, and I'm wary of too much memory foam topping because it makes it hard to turn over in bed.  I thought that pocket springs with a decent top layer would be the way to go.

Any ideas, folks?

Ironically, the best night's sleep I ever had was at the Abode hotel in Manchester, and I pulled off all the sheets to find out what mattress it was.  It turned out to be a Vispring bed.  I note that they have a tantalising "extra wide & long" category.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #72 on: 05 March, 2022, 03:30:27 pm »
I googled <200cm 90cm mattress> & had quite a few local hits...

« Reply #73 on: 06 March, 2022, 08:41:13 am »
I've just been round this one but for a Euro King size. (200x160)

We've got one coming on Tuesday from an outfit called https://www.mattressnextday.co.uk/ who have a table that allows you to select all manner of strange sizes.

They price matched and (so far) seem remarkably efficient.

My telephone interaction suggests that if you can't find what you want on their website they'd be helpful on the phone.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #74 on: 06 March, 2022, 02:40:09 pm »
John Lewis to 'bespoke' mattress sizes to order.

If you found something you really liked and could wait...