Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 153345 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #200 on: 26 February, 2017, 08:47:26 pm »
Feanor: git!

« Reply #201 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:50:34 pm »
Meridian Hills on Saturday.  Good day out if a little breezy :-)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #202 on: 26 February, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »

This uphill section in the dark and rain with a reasonably narrow lane led to constant very close passes and a pavement covered in debris so that wasn't even an option

The this bit again had cars doing well over the 50mph limit in the dark and rain on narrow lanes with close passes.

Maybe in the day it would be OK but considering we were lit up like xmas trees the behaviour of drivers seemed overly aggressive.
That first bit I understand it's quite a long slow climb and not very wide, I usually only do that section in the other direction, so am travelling much faster. The second section, I've not had a problem with, I've even used as an alternative to the official route on both severn across and anfractuous calendar events, in both cases climbing to holtspur from wooburn green rather than loudwater.
Either way you could have taken a route oxford, stadhampton, watlington, marlow, gerards cross which would have only be 4km further and likely much more pleasant.
while I'm quite happy to bash along a roads, there is a difference between roads I would be happy to ride, and roads I would recommend to others.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #203 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:46:12 am »
Poor student 200 on Sunday - storm Ewan reminded me that you can always get weather on this ride :)

I will be back again to do it in summer!

https://www.strava.com/activities/880949030

« Reply #204 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:04:47 am »
Either way you could have taken a route oxford, stadhampton, watlington, marlow, gerards cross which would have only be 4km further and likely much more pleasant.
while I'm quite happy to bash along a roads, there is a difference between roads I would be happy to ride, and roads I would recommend to others.

Mandatory route DIY by GPS and a route I didn't bother checking first (my fault).

I'll know for next time.

While I'm fine with riding in London I can't stand riding along A roads as I think it's the speed difference not the volume of traffic which really makes things dangerous.

« Reply #205 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:22:12 am »
Mandatory route DIY by GPS

The wording of the motion passed at the 2015 AGM included (with my bold):

"Under mandatory routing riders follow the route set by the event organiser [for DIYs, this means the rider] subject only to dealing with any eventualities that might occur such as road closures or other factors which might render sections of the route inappropriate"

The heavy and fast traffic on the A40 at the time was, I feel, one such factor - I'd have gone Stadhampton and noted why to the Org.

« Reply #206 on: 27 February, 2017, 11:37:22 am »
Mandatory route DIY by GPS

The wording of the motion passed at the 2015 AGM included (with my bold):

"Under mandatory routing riders follow the route set by the event organiser [for DIYs, this means the rider] subject only to dealing with any eventualities that might occur such as road closures or other factors which might render sections of the route inappropriate"

The heavy and fast traffic on the A40 at the time was, I feel, one such factor - I'd have gone Stadhampton and noted why to the Org.

Thanks. I'll remember that for next time.

There was a degree of thinking "I'm the idiot who said I was going to ride this route, I can't really say 'oops, my bad'".

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #207 on: 27 February, 2017, 12:10:46 pm »
Traffic on the A40 would not be entirely unexpected. A road closure is a different situation. You are changing a mandatory route into an advisory route.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #208 on: 27 February, 2017, 12:40:44 pm »
I think you must have just got it on a bad day. Yes, riding through Oxford is crap generally, but I ride the A40 between there and Gerrards Cross all the time, day and evening, and have never felt unsafe. I quite like that road  :-[ I'm the type that can't stand riding on gravelly lanes though.

« Reply #209 on: 27 February, 2017, 12:42:30 pm »
002 Sunbudigoc for me yesterday i.e. Cogidubnus 200 in reverse. It wasn't planned to ride the route in reverse but I had some interesting issues in loading and sending the route to Manotea.

It was a good day for a ride as the headwind strengthened to a nice tailwind once Chichester was left behind. Harvester in Chichester provided much needed sustenance. The lanes were in awful condition - very slippy and muddy - which shouldn't have been a surprise. Traffic levels on the main roads were fine. It's a really lovely route and surprisingly lumpy. I might ride it the right way around sometime and it would be very scenic in the sunshine.

For info, Barhatch Lane had a 'road closed' sign at the top. Various docs on www suggested it is closed but didn't state whether its impassable or not. I chose to divert on Greensands Lane. The road there would be a challenge to a horse and cart! There's tree-logging going on so it is hard to tell where the road ends and the bog begins...

« Reply #210 on: 27 February, 2017, 02:15:48 pm »
For info, Barhatch Lane had a 'road closed' sign at the top. Various docs on www suggested it is closed but didn't state whether its impassable or not. I chose to divert on Greensands Lane. The road there would be a challenge to a horse and cart! There's tree-logging going on so it is hard to tell where the road ends and the bog begins...

It was passable on Friday 17th of Feb and it's only verge repair work so I expect it will always be passable for bikes.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #211 on: 27 February, 2017, 03:47:51 pm »
DIY mandatory route for me, bit of a risk, as my garmin has been crashing a bit lately.

I've had a few problems with my Edge recently but I take the view that the ride itself is the most important thing. Getting AUK validation for it is a bonus.

I've come to the conclusion there is a bad memory spot somewhere

Sounds plausible.

really should have done this last weekend when the weather more more pleasant.

The element of pot luck with the weather is half the fun/challenge, isn't it? ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #212 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:48:19 pm »
Couldn't get out of bed on Saturday for the 300 I'd been looking forward to all week, just the sound of the weather was enough, I didn't need to get up and look at it.  As a bit of a consolation went out for a hastily plotted 200 loop around Leicester yesterday, still pretty windy and plenty of debris all over the lanes.  A bit slower than i'd have liked, but otherwise a good day out.  I've been using http://cycle.travel/ to plot mandatory routes, it zigzags about a bit and finds lanes I've never ridden, even in areas I'm pretty familiar with.  Suites the sort of route I like and couldn't really do it with advisories without going way over distance, yesterdays 200 would only have been about 160 between 4 controls ;) 
https://www.strava.com/activities/881065267

« Reply #213 on: 28 February, 2017, 01:04:13 pm »

It was passable on Friday 17th of Feb and it's only verge repair work so I expect it will always be passable for bikes.

Good info, thanks.

« Reply #214 on: 15 March, 2017, 11:08:11 pm »
First mandatory DIYxGPS 200km at the weekend, from Abingdon - Chilterns -  Alton Barnes (White Horse nr Pewsey) and back; great day out, and warm.  At about 120km my etrex Vista HCx started turning off, and then died!  Fortunately the back-up option, of phone attached to USB battery pack in the Tri-bag, did the job for the rest of the ride.  Wildlife highlight of the day, was a barn owl catching prey fairly close up, in the Vale twilight...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Chris S

« Reply #215 on: 16 March, 2017, 09:02:13 am »
Fboab and I snuck out for a cheeky mid-week 200 to hunt for her lost cycling mojo; using a route provided by Deano.

We both woke up early, so were on the road by 5:30am. Good thing about this is, you're already half way when you stop for elevenses  :thumbsup:.

The morning rush at Newton Aycliffe was somewhat intimidating (saved in part by Deano's love of off-road paths) but in common with other mid-week rides we've done, other roads were completely empty and a joy to ride on.

There were lambs, and hills, and bridges and rivers. We love it up here.

« Reply #216 on: 16 March, 2017, 11:05:08 am »
There were lambs, and hills, and bridges and rivers. We love it up here.
Not a lot of cycling mojo, though.
 :-\

« Reply #217 on: 17 March, 2017, 09:26:44 pm »
I was out yesterday on the Stalybridge-Scarborough 200 Perm.  What a terrific day, helped by a following wind.  The bonus was that it was curry night at Scarborough Wetherspoons where I had over an hour to wait for my train back to Stalybridge.

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #218 on: 20 March, 2017, 10:43:16 am »
Yesterday I rode the Stalybridge-Scarborough 200 Perm. I also had a great following wind. Although it did get a bit to much on the exposed parts of the Knottingley to Boroughbridge section as this was a strong side wind. It was a chicken burger and a pint for me in the Wetherspoons.

Strava
Relive.cc

« Reply #219 on: 20 March, 2017, 11:52:30 am »
My first mandatory route DIY (with GPS) at the weekend - 200km through North Herts and Bucks.  I'm an early starter, and as noted above, it's always encouraging to stop for elevenses with half the ride completed (at this time of year it's also nice to finish before dark).  I have always struggled with digestive issues at around 140km on previous 200ks, but I discovered the benefits of Alka Seltzer this time and my ride was enjoyable rather than a test of willpower and endurance.  Admittedly, a tailwind for the last 50k helped ! And, another first, I finished with a feeling of elation (normally it's relief !).  As a bonus, I Gibboned too ! 

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #220 on: 02 April, 2017, 10:35:57 am »
Yesterday I did 3peaker's Cotswold, Canals and Cheddar 300. Bristol start. My first proper perm with a bag full of receipts.

Felt quite rough to start with - I think I was fighting off the vomiting bug that child A had on Friday, but - onwards and upwards!
Then, due entirely to my own incompetence, I hadn't noticed that the gps track truncated at about 240km in Trowbridge. Too many points I think, which is not a problem I've had before, but I haven't done many 300s. I blame the small screen on the Etrex 20...   ;)
Anyhoo - I learned all about the 'navigate to' function. The Etrex doesn't recognise Wells, but I found an address in Wells with my phone, and the Etrex found that. From there on I knew the way. I even got a (modest) PR up cheddar gorge.

I got back to the start at 01:30 on 314km, so had a little trip round the block to bring it up to 321 point something km. Then strava nicked a couple of km when I uploaded it, so I still didn't quite make it to 200 miles  :facepalm:

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #221 on: 02 April, 2017, 11:19:03 am »
firstly you need 321.8 km to get 200 miles, for strava smoothing I would add 1km so aim for 323.
secondly if you realise straight away you can go out again and stitch gpx files together in notepad. Strava should have this feature to allow for rides which happen either side of a hardware crash or if the battery on one device fails.

went out this morning for a AAA 100. 1700m of climb based on the northern end of the chiltern 100 sportive. Much nicer than the wet weather conditions I endured two years ago.

working towards my grimpeur du sud.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #222 on: 02 April, 2017, 02:08:51 pm »
200 in The Borders yesterday from Crosby in Eden. Eskdalemuir, Gordon Arms, Yarrow, Bonchester Bridge and Newcastleton. Usual little bits of busy road and weird Borders tarmac but by and large an excellent route. Probably a bit too flat for AAA.

Alexander Turner

• Enough is plenty. Good enough will do.
« Reply #223 on: 07 April, 2017, 10:58:22 am »
Saracen RC 200km No 2 perm on Tuesday just gone. Little bit of drizzle at the start but otherwise a dry and breezy day. Wind blowing from the NW at 14mph. Sun came out late afternoon.  No dramatic climbs but rolling up and down insidiously notched up the elevation. I enjoyed the route and the days riding.   

Bairn Again

« Reply #224 on: 09 April, 2017, 10:45:30 am »
A one way ride from edinburgh to aberdeen via comrie for 300k.  Set off 1600 Friday finished 1200 Saturday.  Glorious moonlit night, mosly a tailwaind and warm by the finish though Aberdeen never really ever gets warm

Route barred at Stonehaven meant a lift from the demolition contractors for the 1/2 mile of the A90 i refused to ride, and the run into Aberdeen similarly disruped by the closure of Milltimber brae which blocked access to the north deesside road which has a cycle lane, or the dedicated cycle path that runs parallel.  Instedall traffic was on the south deeside road so not a hollywood finish especially when a bit sleep deprived.

Still, job done, feel reasonably sprightly today and set for next weeks DIY 400 non arrow to York.