Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 152913 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #325 on: 04 December, 2017, 12:32:07 pm »
My first attempt at a DIY yesterday, 200k using the new on-line system to upload the proposed route.  Because I still use paper maps and the garmin just to record time and distance, an advisory route with receipts as proof of passage.

The weather was just about as good as could have been hoped for in December.  I made an early start (5.00am) to get most of the darkness miles out of the way while there was less traffic.  The stretch from Sedgefield to Bedale was mostly on quiet familiar lanes, most of the time nobody else on the road.  Highlight of this was a large, nearly full moon shining between scattered clouds, and temperature was relatively mild. 

The middle section (across to Northallerton, then down to Wigginton) became a bit busier as the morning went on but again I used mostly quiet roads and by lunch time there was even some sunshine.  Although I'd picked a fairly flat route, I wasn't managing a very fast average - although that's not unusual for me.

Then back to the finish.  This started to get difficult, my legs were tiring and becoming quite painful at times - not sure if this was cramp or maybe because the temperature was dropping.  By the time I got back, it must have been close to freezing and a gritter wagon had passed me several times.  Each time the lorry turned off to go round a village or housing estate, I would get ahead again; then they caught me up a bit further on.  Quite a lot of traffic as people headed home, some of whom didn't bother dipping headlights for a mere cyclist.  For once I managed to keep motivated, after doing so much of the ride I didn't want to miss the time limit even with an extra 18k to do. 

<iframe src='https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/embed/2364250332' title='Sedgefield DIY' width='465' height='500' frameborder='0'></iframe>

Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #326 on: 07 December, 2017, 10:06:04 pm »
The storm gave me a fair push along a local flat-ish TT segment at lunchtime, 7.3k at an average speed of over 50kph and a max of 63kph! Enough for a 2nd overall, which is most unlike me.

Anyhoo, Junior has just asked me to take him for a 200k spin over the Festive Season.
I may combine this with my January ride, so we will see.
I'll need to plan a low-level route in case of bad weather on high ground, as my stock 200s from home all involve high ground.
I may have to go rummage amongst Pingu's menu of infernal wind-blown Northron Loops.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #327 on: 17 December, 2017, 01:44:13 pm »
Bah, getting soft in my dotage - DNF'd Poor Student check, too miserable even for me...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Chris S

« Reply #328 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:03:31 pm »
Bah, getting soft in my dotage - DNF'd Poor Student check, too miserable even for me...

Wow. That IS miserable, and I'm an expert in miserable.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #329 on: 18 December, 2017, 12:16:16 pm »
The snow last week was a set-back ; I even started out on Tues morning, intending to ride a 200. Within 50m (yes m!) I returned home, changed to walking gear and had a great walk in snowy fields. A club colleague went into the Cotswolds and showed lovely pics; what he did not announce was a serious fall on the snowy/icy lanes, resulting in shoulder ligament damage. Three days later I hit my same planned route, clear of snow and ice and just warm enough to enjoy. It was the route I designed along the Rs Severn and Avon with minimal climbing (~1000m), when I was recovering from a broken leg in Winter 2012/13. Saving the heroics for decent roads!
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #330 on: 23 December, 2017, 04:10:08 pm »
Possibly not the smartest move with regards to traffic but needs must.
Completed 3Peaker's SE Oxford 200km perm so the debut RRTY  is still on track. Very foggy start out of Cheltenham and through Stroud but then once the sun came up (not that it could be seen) it turned into a rather pleasant day. Bit of a sting in the tail with the long drag up to The Rissingtons and then a bit very pleasant run along the A436 back to Andoversford.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #331 on: 24 December, 2017, 09:34:32 pm »
200km today, started at 08:15, high wycombe to Esher  (flat start) Esher to Newbury  (rolling hills and headwinds) Newbury to high wycombe (via the flat lands south of the river) real sting in the tail climbing from Marlow to Wycombe at the end. Home at 17:05. Shorts and just a short sleeved baselayer under my brevet jersey was just about enough, it was slightly colder than I expected.. Mostly dry roads tiny bit if drizzle. Probably the kindest December Audax I have done.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #332 on: 02 January, 2018, 07:26:27 pm »
New year, new DIY. Up through the lanes to Slimbridge, elevenses at the Tudor Arms, then blast up the A38 to Gloucester and out along the A417, all quiet on NYD, to the turning for Corse. From there it's a nice straight ride to Upton-on-Severn, pretty flat but with views of the magnificent Malverns. We (IanN otp and I) thought about lunch at the famous Banjo's but found we'd past it – it's somewhere at the top end of town and we were in the centre by then. Well, I was, Ian had somehow got ahead of me and crossed the bridge, I don't know how he did this cos I'd passed him a mile or two before Upton in a field gate. So we regrouped and made our way down the A38, under the M50 bridge, for pizza in Tewkesbury.

Suitably fortified, the wiggly bits started. Gloucester, Churchdown, Cheltenham, Churchdown, Gloucester, Cheltenham, oh look there's the dry ski slope where Eddie the Eagle practised – maybe it would make a good venue for a hill climb? ( ;D). By now it was getting a bit blowy, headwind of course. Somewhere round there we passed a utility cyclist going the other way dragging a huge stick in his left rear drop out. How he hadn't seen, heard or felt it, I do not know. Or maybe he had but simply couldn't remove it.

Eventually we escaped Gloucester and were riding past Haresfield, pretty soon we were in Stonehouse, where we raided the Co-op. It's a large branch but the shelves were bare, at least bare of anything suitable for the sustenance of cyclists. Well, I got a yogurt (a spork is the audaxer's saddlebag friend) and Ian got some crisps and a Ginster's, I think. Then the hilly bit, Dursley to Stinchcombe, Nibley, Wotton. Ian was unable to use his granny ring so I don't think this bit was his favourite. But we could see the Severn Bridge all lit up in the distance and that meant we were nearly home. Soon we were rolling through Chipping Sodbury, the sharp left into the bikes and pedestrians only Horseshoe Lane, where the space between the bollards was unfortunately occupied by a man carrying a bin full of empty bottles and cans(!), and well by then we really are nearly home.

And so we were! Feeling as knackered as you only can after Christmas...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

« Reply #333 on: 13 January, 2018, 06:28:10 pm »
A 200k DIY into the Northron Wastelands.

A nice tailwind up to Fraserburgh, but then gusty sidewinds then about 80k of brutal headwinds on the homeward leg.
The headwinds were not on-the-nose, but with a sideways component, and very gusty.
This made the Aero Bars twitchy as hell, throwing me all over the road.
I had to come up onto the hoods for much of that section.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1355270776

« Reply #334 on: 13 January, 2018, 07:43:19 pm »
200 round South Essex today - Chelmsford, Brentwood, Corringham, Canvey Island, Olmpic MTB Centre (great Bakewell cake), Sarfend, Shoeburyness, Rochford, Canewdon, Battlesbridge, Dengie peninsula (despite the now closed marsh road), Purleigh, Stock, then home. 216km. A bit too much traffic in some places and a strong headwind among the coasts, but all manageable. 1400m of climbing, very fixed-freindly. 

Bairn Again

« Reply #335 on: 14 January, 2018, 08:23:47 pm »
Given a reasonably benign forecast I did a 200km arrow from Edinburgh - Stonehaven yesterday, one of my favourite rides.

I set off just before 7am.  Zero traffic on the Forth Rd Bridge is still a novelty but I had to squeeze past the bridge maintenance van on the cycle path as it had stopped to quiz a pedestrian. 

The ESE wind was helping and hindering in equal measure and along with New Year levels of fitness, it soon became clear that Id stuggle to finish before dark.  It got light not long after Cowdenbeath where I was soon overtaken by a grupetto of 3 riders going at a fair clip.  I accelerated to hold their wheels and got a tow at 30kph for half a mile before they turned off.  A young lady in Kinross dressed up to the nines almost crossed in front of me without looking.  Walk of shame Id wager. 

The descent of Glenfarg was cold as ever and I was glad to get out into the hazy daylight and onwards to Perth where I shunned a stop in order to get the steady climb done.  I took the lumpier route north of Perth to avoid the A94 as much as possible though 2km is pretty much unavoidable. 

The audax hotel standard bus stop in Kinrossie at 80k provided the perfect location for a banana from my back pocket.  I had 2 base layers on, as well as arm warmers a long sleeve top and a thin gilet and wasnt overly warm so pushed on before cooling down. 

In good conditions I can do a 200 with one stop about 110km but I was flagging a little on the stretch to Coupar Angus and the Bogside Rd became a bit of a slog as I counted down the kms to a lunch stop at McForfar (120km).  Here I switched my gilet for a more subbstantial jacket and had a big feed including a cappuccino that tasted heavenly.  I got my small digital radio on the go here and hooked up my left earphone to keep up to date with the sport of Radio 5.

The road between Forfar & Montrose is normally a tailwind assisted 30kpm blast but yesterday was hard going.  I was glad that my route didnt go all the way into Montrose but instead jinked around the basin clockwise through Bridge of Dun, a route that Alex Pattison showed me a few years ago. 

I got a little mixed up at Hillside and added a km and a bit, as ever this involved avoidably going down a long hill and back up it again!

I was back on more familiar roads to Marykirk, passing a house which must have had the same 3 or 4 kids bikes for sale outside it for at least three years.  My route to Auchenblae was reasonably direct, avoiding Fettercairn.  It was less lumpy than I thought it would be but that might have been helped the block tailwind on this section.

I noticed that the cars were almost all coming towards me with headlights on, and even though I didnt need my front light to see, I switched it on when I joined the B road near Auchenblae.

The steep section in the main street here tested my resolve not to honk, but I just about managed it.  Ive ridden the strech from Auchenblae to Stonehaven many times and was ready for its undulations.  It got properly dark about 10km from the finish and I stopped to fire up the 2nd and 3rd of my rear lights and pop my radio back in the bag, cheered by Falkirks victory over Greenock Morton  :)

The wind was getting gusty now and sideward blasts kept me on my toes, though some were definitely helping too.  Id not reset the trip computer on my GPS so couldnt be sure but I was reasonably certain that my extra dogleg nr Montrose would take me over the 200km.  I stopped at the Co-op petrol station and shop to buy a can of deoderant and a bag of tangfastics for the train home. 

It was about 1720 and my train wasnt until 1836 so I popped into the Station Hotel to change into the dry layers I had in my saddlebag including a lovely snuggly pack away down jacket.  I also had a couple of pints which went down a treat.  I positioned myself beside a very warm radiator too and really had to drag myself away from this oasis!

Train home was quiet.  I demolished my bag of sweets in no time.  I was joined at Montrose by five well oiled Livingston FC fans, who were returning from their away fixture at Brechin.  They  had come armed with a sizeable carrier bag full of a combination of ice cubes and beer.  When it became apparent that there was no way they were going to finish them all, I took them up one the offer of a cold Tennents.  Must have been 20 years since Ive had Tennents, here's hoping its another 20 years til my next one (didnt stop me finishing it mind  ;))

We were soon at Haymarket where I declined an invitation to join my new friends in the Dickens Lounge on Dalry Rd (I used to live near it and got slightly apprehensive just walking past it).  Feeling slightly lazy I jumped on the tram, two stops to Balgreen and a 1 mile ride home rather than 4 from Haymarket. 

First 200 of the year.  I had forgotten how riding in the cold makes for slow going, either stops are more frequent / longer / both or speed on the road slows up.  With hindsight I really should have stopped at Perth at around 65km to fuel up as I really was getting a bit ragged on the 30km or so to my lunch stop in Forfar. 

Anyhows job done, my winter bike (Boardman) is quite comfortable and I may even contemplate using this all year round as all it might need is a change of wheels and possibly a different gear range too.

Feanor

« Reply #336 on: 14 January, 2018, 08:39:18 pm »
Given a reasonably benign forecast I did a 200km arrow from Edinburgh - Stonehaven yesterday, one of my favourite rides.

Yes, I reckon a Northbound arrow would have been just the ticket yesterday.

Sounds like a good one.
I did steal some of your routing for my EDI-ABZ 200 in December!

Bairn Again

« Reply #337 on: 14 January, 2018, 10:30:44 pm »

Yes, I reckon a Northbound arrow would have been just the ticket yesterday.

Sounds like a good one.
I did steal some of your routing for my EDI-ABZ 200 in December!
true Ron, but it really was a rude awakening on the road out of Forfar.  Id also previously thought the Bogside Rd ran almost due North! 

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #338 on: 15 January, 2018, 05:28:19 pm »
Yes, Sun 14 Jan was a good day in the South. Light wind till evening, which became a supportive backwind!, dry, above freezing (4 deg). So a good opportunity for a double traverse of the Cotswolds to keep RRTY28 going:

12HR CHILLER FOR 200KM
Trek: Forecast dry, light winds and above freezing. Also, just getting over a nasty cold, so need an easy pace. What better invitation for a 2nd 200 for Jan, when the following days are for mixed winter stuff. Had not ridden my Oxford Perm for a while. Late start to Bourton. LB up for sale! Took the road (climb) to L Riss airfield then main to Burford and flooded Windrush valley to Witney. Lanes to S Leigh then toll (free for bikes) Br to Botley; took lunch here with Tesco £3 Meal Deal. Next climb Cumnor Hill to Abingdon. Easily then on A417 to Wantage. Sun now set so dusk run to Ashbury before drop to Shrivenham > Highworth > Lechlade. Needed a 15min nap in the Lechlade Riverside Park and revived with more food. I used to commute the A417 Lechlade to Ciren, so very familiar. Turned off at Marston Meysey for Down Ampney and S Cerney; new Co-op in SC, so competition for the Premier shop near the War Memorial. Now cross-country to the Stroud road; found bridge after Ewen wet though not flooded like last time I passed this way! Once on A419 easy run to Stroud though fast descent of Cowcombe Hill not nice with rough road and position of sewer covers; almost lost it on one bend! Final cake in Stroud before very quiet A46 run to Cheltenham.

Garmin E1030 batt 42% after 12hrs navigation use, suggests 20hr life, re-assuring.
Event Time: 12h 12m  Mov Time: 10h 37m  Mov Ave 18.8kph Asc: 1681m Dist: 200km (G1030=42% suggests 20hr life)
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #339 on: 21 January, 2018, 06:25:58 pm »
Yes, rode Blacksheep’s March Madness perm yesterday with four others. It was cold and wet but not the heavy rain that was forecast. We had the luxury of Blacksheep meeting us in Bromyard as he lives nearby. We also tried out the new route for him that now goes to the Hopewell Colliery Cafe due to the demise of the Heritage centre cafe. The route now has more climbing and 2 AAA.
Was a tough ride in the conditions but never really got too cold, just wet feet.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #340 on: 12 February, 2018, 12:38:59 pm »
I'd planned a 200 for Sunday with IanN otp. Out to Burford via Malmesbury and Faringdon, back through Meysey Hampton. Unfortunately Ian came down with flu, so I decided to ride on my own. Get well, Ian, and hope to see you in two weeks! The forecast had been settled for a few days: cold but dry and sunny, with a fairly strong tailwind on the way out, lessening on the way back. Perfect! But it didn't quite work out like that...

The first less than perfect thing was actually someone else's problem and it was only a couple of miles from home. There was a bloke at the point where the Railway Path splits, right for Bath and left for Pucklechurch, struggling with a puncture, so I stopped to see what I could do. Turned out the hose of his Lezyne pump had got stuck; instead of threading onto the body of the valve, it was somehow wedged on to the pippety bit that you undo. Neither he nor I nor both of us together could do anything to budge it, so he was resigned to a walk.

It was actually warmer than I'd expected and I had to stop not long after to delayer. The cafe in the railway centre at Purton was still closed for winter, so I pushed on to Highworth for elevenses, which was pretty much lunch by the time I got there. It's not much of a cafe, if I remember next time it might be better going on to Coleshill.

Coming out of Highworth, it felt quite a bit colder. Well of course it did, I'd been sat in a warm cafe and in any case, Highworth is – as its name implies – on top of a hill, so there's a long, fast descent leaving the town towards Faringdon. But when I got to the top of Coleshill (awfully literal placenames round there!), it started to snow. Never mind, I thought, it's just cos I'm up on the higher ground. It'll stop once I'm down in Faringdon. And the best bit of the ride is ahead! The descent stung a bit; hard, dry flakes and a strong wind. Through Faringdon and... it's still snowing. In fact, it snowed all the way to Burford. At one point I took shelter in a church, I think the village was called Kencott. It was snowing continually rather than continuously; ten minutes of snow followed by a couple of minutes rest.

Eventually I reached the Windrush valley just downstream of Burford and followed it into the town. There's nowhere much to stop on the way back so I ate here although I was still pretty full with Highworth panininini (no banananana). Spent a bit too long really but it started snowing again as I left. Followed Sheep Street up the Windrush valley again, missed my turning and found myself up on the high ground. Backtracked and rejoined the valley. All very pretty. And it had stopped snowing. But not for long. At least now it was soft, wet flakes, not harsh, stinging ones. Then up out of the valley, towards Hatherop and so on. Stopped in Quenington as my back wheel was rubbing on the brake blocks going up hill. Opened and retightened the QR, which seemed to solve it. A bloke on a fluorescent yellow Trek mtb passed while I was doing this, and a woman walking with a greyhound who asked how far I was going. "All the way to Bristol? You're mad! My sister's like that; she's moved to the south of France so she can ride her bike all the time. Nutter!" So much for families!

A couple of miles further on I saw a cyclist quite some way ahead of me in a hi-viz jacket. Was it the bloke who'd passed me earlier? I gave chase, very slowly, across the A417, through Meysey Hampton, losing sight of him, gaining on him, losing him again, eventually catching him as we left Down Ampney. It was indeed the bloke on the fluorescent yellow Trek. He was wearing wellies and jeans – maybe a farm worker? – I guess farm work keeps you fit cos he was going some on that mountain bike! Turned out to be quite chatty on the subject of potholes and other things. Eventually he headed off on a road parallel to the A419 (actually the old A419) where I headed straight over to Cerney Wick. I should have asked him where he was going – could have been going all the way to Cirencester.

I'm fond of Cerney Wick. It's not a picturesque village with thatched cottages and so on, but it's pretty enough, it has multiple streams and an old canal, all with little stone bridges, one of which is (I think) Saxon. And it has virtually no traffic cos the last of its bridges is closed. It's also the first village on "home" side of the (almost motorway) A419, so it feels like a milestone gained! A bloke walking his dog there complained vociferously I was dazzling him, and I could tell I genuinely was, so I stopped to adjust the IQ-X. It's hard cut-off is a bit of a pain in this respect and its mount does it no favours, but I think I've got it sorted now. Mind you, I've said that before.

The temperature was down to freezing now and it was still snowing off and on. There was ice on the approach to Malmesbury, which I rode gingerly over then walked down the short but steep and twisty hill into the town. A cup of tea would have been good. Did the Co-op in Malmesbury have a hot drinks machine? I didn't think so, but it was worth checking. No, it doesn't. I rode on and decided to stop at the Old Royal Ship Inn, a known cyclist-friendly pub with a long name in Luckington, a village a few miles down the B4040. Got there, it was quiet, a cup of tea and, yes! A bowl of leek and potato soup!

It was minus 1.something when I left the pub, by which time it was after 9 p.m. already; I should have been home by now! Decided to stick to the B road rather than follow the original laney route. In fact I felt quite warm once I got moving, but then I was wearing six layers by now! It's impressive that even on a freezing cold night, the inner (Bristol) end of the Railway Path is still used by quite a few people riding home (or somewhere). You start to see them from the Fish in. Got home. Ate chickpea curry which my son had cooked to his own patent recipe; yum! Worth riding for!

Edit: I was certain this ride was out of time – which would have been a neat coincidence as the only other ride I've finished OOT (amazingly despite my lack of pace and capacity for time wasting, it's only happened once before) was on the Flapjack back in 2014, and this year's Flapjack was... on Sunday! – but a rift in the space-time continuum specific to the AUK route validator says otherwise. Either that or I was riding a Tardis.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #341 on: 12 February, 2018, 09:46:55 pm »
Nice ride report Cudzo.  I am increasingly afraid of ice allways bounced well in the past but don't want to push my luck these days.

« Reply #342 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:30:37 pm »
Weather was a bit changy during my DIY 200 on sunday.

First the Relive of the ride so you have an idea where I took the photo's ;)
Since my home area was rather cycling unfriendly due to carnival I went north of the Rhine to do a DIY 200. I started out from a hostel in Utrecht. The first bit along the Vecht river passing old castles and some fortress towns protecting Amsterdam in the old days.

Up over the bridge and a mighty change of scenery, from old towns and hamlets to very new and very man made towns and the large scale agriculture of Flevoland. And of course windswept dikes. First a massive sidewind limiting my speed to 15km, then a huge headwind with a cruising speed of 30-35km/h.

Just when I got bored of the new land I returned to the old land, to the old Hanse town of Kampen.

Then again a massive headwind near the coast of the old Zuiderzee.

The small old hanse town of Elburg was a pleasant surprise for me.

The rest of the return was a bit chilly, a combination of headwind and occasional hail

whosatthewheel

« Reply #343 on: 19 February, 2018, 02:18:25 pm »
Any validation issue on a DIY which is a figure of 8?
Given it's going to get really cold over the weekend, I would like to stick to gritted roads I know well. I am NOT planning on doing loops, just a simple figure of 8

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #344 on: 19 February, 2018, 02:28:38 pm »
Can't see that being a problem as some Calendar rides use figure of eight routes.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

whosatthewheel

« Reply #345 on: 19 February, 2018, 02:37:28 pm »
Can't see that being a problem as some Calendar rides use figure of eight routes.

Agree, the only difference is that the half way point would be my home address... not sure if that is an issue or not... or if it is or not in "randonneur" spirit.
I could put the halfway point a mile away, but it seems silly having to spend money in a cafe' when I can raid my own fridge free of charge... especially in a GPS DIY, not needing proof of passage

« Reply #346 on: 19 February, 2018, 03:48:21 pm »
Riders who do 600km diys often come back home for a overnight stop, so it really is not a issue.

« Reply #347 on: 19 February, 2018, 03:57:51 pm »
First event of the year: a 235k DIY (well, 201 was the actual event) round the badlands of North Devon. 

« Reply #348 on: 19 February, 2018, 04:01:40 pm »
the half way point would be my home address... not sure if that is an issue or not...

Definitely not a problem for validation.

(You need to avoid riding the same sections of road in the same direction, as much as reasonably possible; small sections are ok.)

[Disadvantage (perhaps): you won't reach such excitingly distant places!]

whosatthewheel

« Reply #349 on: 19 February, 2018, 06:05:39 pm »
Thanks everybody...

Yes, it's going to be a rather dull ride on roads I know too well... if it wasn't for the fact that I am 8 months in my RRTY I wouldn't bother to be honest