Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 154169 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #600 on: 25 August, 2020, 02:38:12 pm »
Oh yes! I was trying to log in and then find the virtual brevet once logged in on the new site. Didn't think to log in then just try the link in the email again.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #601 on: 25 August, 2020, 04:27:55 pm »
I think Andy Curran flagged up the time allowance calculator thingy on the AUK site sometimes miscalculates your maximum time. So often best to check yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #602 on: 25 August, 2020, 05:18:07 pm »
Perhaps it's a good time to quote the AUK Regulations:

"9.7.1 The minimum speeds are: 
for events registered as 200 to 600 km – set by the organiser within the range 14.3 to 15 kph*
for events registered as 700 to 1200 km - 13-1/3 kph
for events registered as 1300 to 1800 km - 12 kph
for events registered as 1900 to 2400 km - 10 kph
for events registered as 2500 km and over - 8-1/3 kph."

*For DIYs this is always 14.3kph (from the old idea of "200km in the 14hours between summer sunrise and sunset).
And it's pro-rata for the counting distance; eg for a 214.3km Mandatory Route, the time limit is 15 hours.

For DIYs of less than 200km, the minimum speed is always 10kph.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #604 on: 25 August, 2020, 11:11:58 pm »
I've not known that. Unfortunately the link in the entry confirmation email no longer works as you need to log in through audax.uk, and I can't find anywhere on that site to preview virtual brevets. Does anybody know where they might reside?

I've restored that login.  For now.  All (non-admin) logins on aukweb should be disabled eventually, but for now I'll leave these DIY-related ones working.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #605 on: 26 August, 2020, 08:58:37 am »

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #606 on: 26 August, 2020, 11:36:38 am »
As a DIY the minimum speed would have been 14.3 kph so you needn't have worried as you'd have had another hour or so, or longer if the route was overdistance. I do understand wanting to finish within the 27 hours, mind.

So nearly 15 hours for my 213km gravel route to avebury and back. Hmmmmmm

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #607 on: 26 August, 2020, 02:20:41 pm »
AAA Milne for me today. Beautiful day for it with less hindrance from the wind than expected and less storm debris too. That's also the GdS award for 2020 subject to validation, but I'll carry on as I need 3 more months for GdSRtY.

« Reply #608 on: 26 August, 2020, 02:32:30 pm »
I've not known that. Unfortunately the link in the entry confirmation email no longer works as you need to log in through audax.uk, and I can't find anywhere on that site to preview virtual brevets. Does anybody know where they might reside?

I've restored that login.  For now.  All (non-admin) logins on aukweb should be disabled eventually, but for now I'll leave these DIY-related ones working.

Thank you  :thumbsup:

So nearly 15 hours for my 213km gravel route to avebury and back. Hmmmmmm

Last year I attempted to ride 40km to Winchester, and then the 160km of the South Downs Way as an Audax ride. I didn't make it in time! Slightly overambitious on what is achievable off-road within 14 hours.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #609 on: 26 August, 2020, 03:37:54 pm »
My understanding is that the South downs way is harder than the ridgeway.  The Kennet and Avon canal towpath on the return leg will certainly be easier,  although it may not be much quicker if crowded.

Looking back over my rides with my gravel bike 18kmh is a minimum moving speed,  which would leave 3 hours for stops/ contingency.

Also it's more audacious if completion is in question.

I've seen someone post 7 hours from avebury to watlington on a mountain bike loaded up for bike packing,  I know it's an hour and a half to watlington from home of road on my gravel bike.

I'll take lights, worst case is I have a hard ride and get home too late for validation, or bail and divert onto roads for the return leg due to lack of time.

Even then it will be useful training,  easy rides don't make you stronger.

« Reply #610 on: 26 August, 2020, 03:56:08 pm »
Yes, the South Downs Way is rather brutal, apart from the first bit from Winchester. Not just the ups and downs, it's also the rough chalk escarpments and rocks which slow progress even when going downhill.

I agree with your philosophy, giving it a go is part of the fun, even if the conditions might work against a successful completion from an Audax perspective.

« Reply #611 on: 26 August, 2020, 05:30:11 pm »
SDW drops to near enough sea level at least 4 times. I’ve done it over 3 days using yha, and ridgeway over 2 days using yha. Also done ridgeway in a day, as a sunrise to sunset exercise. The ridgeway is way easier, you can keep up a decent pace and no massive climbs or descents or technicalities.

bairn again

« Reply #612 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:50:35 am »
I rode a solo DIY 300 yesterday - a very simple Edinburgh - Perth - Forfar - Montrose - Forfar - Perth - Edinburgh ride, probably about as non hilly  an out and back ride I can think of from home. 

Set off just pre sunrise (0515) and got home in 16 hours.   Given Id not ridden this distance (in one day) for 15 months I set myself an objective to ride steady (20kph) and have two long stops.  It worked out as expected and having the breeze against me on the outward leg and with me on the return worked a treat.

++

Got round in daylight bar the final half hour and I was back on the civilized side of the Forth by then
Amazingly my contact points were all happy at the finish (its normally my feet that complain 1st and Id worn slightly thicker socks on purpose)
I enjoyed it!   

--

Id replaced cassette and chain in the week before the ride and the gears werent properly adjusted.
Lockdown legs have very little zip - ok for rolling along the flat but anything uphill in the final 50km saw me struggle.

I'll keep an eye on the weather for next weekend to see what my next SR move might be

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #613 on: 30 August, 2020, 03:43:31 pm »
And so it begins. 200k DIY Audax.
What should have been a standard 200k Deeside loop became a bit of a PITA.

Checking the Council's road closures website, there was no mention of the C1K at Carmont still being closed on account of the train crash, so I presumed it had re-opend now. Wrong. Cheers, Aberdeenshire Cooncil! The way was held against me, with a security guard barring the way.

Choices were to divert down to the A90 ( in retrospect, the better option ), or to chance a bit of Comedy Off-Road through Fetteresso Forest on an inappropriate bike.
I had planned to use the improved windfarm access roads, which are pretty smooth. But alas, my gossamer-thin tyres, hand-spun from butterfly-wings were not equal to the task, and let their objections be known in short order.

There then followed a comedy escalating series of technical problems fixing it, which cumulated in the CO2 inflator becoming a permanent fixture on the wheel. It's still there now.
So eventually limped in at 8:30, having taken an epic 11 hours and then some for 238k.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3985111297

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #614 on: 31 August, 2020, 11:28:09 am »
Spent the w/e checking out the 7C’s&Y 600 in reverse, more elsewhere - maybe give y’all a shot again next year, it’s about time you got to see bits of Wales you never wanted to see  ;)

Ran it down to the wire / closing minutes.

Thanks to mattc for the company.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #615 on: 31 August, 2020, 08:52:29 pm »
Attempted my 200km gravel ride, took 6hrs 20 to avebury along the ridgeway (about 105km)

Making a 200km mistlg off road feasible  however, my return route used lage chunks of towpayh on the kdnbet and avon canal which had several problems

1) not all section that have been used by cyclists are officially open to cyclisys
2) one section that is part of the non route 4 is closed for construction. In fact significantly more clised where I wanted to leave than where I entered. Challdge accepted getting b I kd and my between tree branches as heras fencing effectivrly sealed everything else.
3) just too many walkers, and even though they were all very accomadtingbin letting me pass it was still a PITA having to keep slowing right down.

So if this route is to have legs an alternative return route is required, with a reasonablf amount off off road, and minimal A4 or towpath. Avoiding Reading centre would also be a bonus as the kennet path was strangely difficult to navigate.

Got back in about 12.5 hours for 220km. probably the toughest 200 I have ridden. Might just be pipped by meridian hills perm, but I don't think so.

The ridgeway was excellent even with ty he bits where the 4x4 wheel ruts were so deep riding in them resulted in feet striking sides, while riding out if them risked significant drops. So looking forward to riding king alfreds way, probably next spring/summer.

bairn again

« Reply #616 on: 01 September, 2020, 11:28:29 am »

Checking the Council's road closures website, there was no mention of the C1K at Carmont still being closed on account of the train crash, so I presumed it had re-opend now. Wrong. Cheers, Aberdeenshire Cooncil! The way was held against me, with a security guard barring the way.....

Id been looking at this road too, on the assumption that a Edinburgh - Stoney - Edinburgh ride makes for a nice 400km DIY.  I'm assuming that the road wont be open until both (a) the wreckage is removed following the terrible accident and (b) the line reopened.  Last week the latter was being reported as "several weeks" away.

Well done on your 238k Feanor         

Feanor

« Reply #617 on: 01 September, 2020, 07:17:19 pm »

Checking the Council's road closures website, there was no mention of the C1K at Carmont still being closed on account of the train crash, so I presumed it had re-opend now. Wrong. Cheers, Aberdeenshire Cooncil! The way was held against me, with a security guard barring the way.....

Id been looking at this road too, on the assumption that a Edinburgh - Stoney - Edinburgh ride makes for a nice 400km DIY.  I'm assuming that the road wont be open until both (a) the wreckage is removed following the terrible accident and (b) the line reopened.  Last week the latter was being reported as "several weeks" away.

Well done on your 238k Feanor         

So it seems.
Keeping the road closed seems un-necessary to me; the immediate emergency response is long over.
They are doing investigations now, and then there will be recovery and re-reinstatement work.
But that does not require road closure; the incident is half a mile away from the road.

I can see why they want to keep the actual incident scene closed off, but it's half a mile away along temporary access roads put in through a field. That could be the closure point, I'd have thought.

rob

« Reply #618 on: 02 September, 2020, 05:42:06 pm »
Essex R&R 200k today.  Much lovely countryside and views.   Sunny most of the day but a little cloudy at the end.

Feanor

« Reply #619 on: 04 September, 2020, 05:52:09 pm »
A blustery ride round the Snow Roads 300k yesterday.

The Southbound leg from Dufftown to the A93 turnoff was 110k of unrelenting headwind!
My sense of humor was sorely tested.

« Reply #620 on: 04 September, 2020, 09:00:59 pm »
Did my first proper DIY yesterday, where I organised it myself rather than tagged along with someone who was doing it.

Riding in the Chilterns over the years ice kept seeing signs for the Chilterns Cycleway. I always Rodger it would be fun to ride it one day, so I did. The route is about 285km,so I had to add an extra 15km to get it to 300. The track I found on rwgps stated in Henley, which I know is 50 km away, so riding out and back for it up to 400.

Hardest 400 I've ever done, and the slowest. Lots of lanes and ups and downs. Some off road sections, some of which were wet chalk that I had to walk, and some others I detoured. Had hoped to be able to ride all the Chilterns bit in daylight to make the descents easier, but had an hour of dark lanes at the start and two hours at the end.

I enjoyed it, only considered DNFing at one point, after about 140km when things were hurting and still a long way to go.

Slightly disappointing to find that the best bits were mostly bits I already knew. The northern end near Luton was not that great.

« Reply #621 on: 06 September, 2020, 06:12:10 pm »
Sussexy Beast today - a great route but the climbing is mainly steep and always relentless. Weather was very kind, warm but not oppressive and not much wind.

Rated 160k but I rode Brighton-Uckfield and back to join the route which made it 215k in total. Didn't formally EPE it though as I'm just after an AAA ride for AAARtY.

Recommended!

« Reply #622 on: 06 September, 2020, 07:09:07 pm »
DIY 200K Today,3rd weekend in a row  :thumbsup: excellent weather all day but some of the road surfaces encountered today  :facepalm: some cooncil's need to get the finger out

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/55682100

Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #623 on: 06 September, 2020, 08:41:50 pm »
DIY 200K Today,3rd weekend in a row  :thumbsup: excellent weather all day but some of the road surfaces encountered today  :facepalm: some cooncil's need to get the finger out

What was traffic like on the A84/85 bit?

« Reply #624 on: 06 September, 2020, 09:47:08 pm »

What was traffic like on the A84/85 bit?

The A84 was full of motorcycles and quite busy in places but we were in the cycle track heading out of Callander the joined it again at Strathyre. The A85 was very quiet today and joy to ride alongside the loch in great weather. Sat outside the cafe at St Fillans.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.