Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 154042 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #650 on: 12 October, 2020, 02:08:10 am »
Yup, a 300 DIY with 200 to Essex and 100 to the Thames Valley. Had to belt the side of a motorised moron near the Essex border. The Chilterns can be nasty if you pick the wrong climb and I did. Parked cars were frosting up quite well after 11 pm (started pretty late) so I’m glad I packed a set of lobster mitts in the Carradice.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bairn again

« Reply #651 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:55:25 pm »
A 200 today from home to Ballingry - Muckhart - Dunning - Crieff - Comrie - Dunblane - Edinburgh.  Lumpier than Id normally choose for an Autumn 200 but I wanted to catch rural Perthshires Autumn colours.  It was a bit cloudy so that never happened!

How tricky is it to get across the A9 at Findo Gask? I've never tried it but there's roads around there to bag including an old bit of A9 that is normally clear.

It was reasonably safe, just a little worse than crossing the A90 dual carriageway around Edzell or Laurencekirk as sight lines as more limited. one to approach with a “proceed with caution” though Id probably not use it for a 50-100 person calendar event mind.   

However thats crossing it going north, doing the same route t’other way as myself and The Braw Stoker did a few weeks ago on the tandem is another kettle of fish due to the left hand curve in the road.  In that scenario visbility is poor (trees obscure a long view) and you are crossing three lanes - the slip road plus two lanes of 70mph traffic the fastest of which you cross last.  Im not sure Id be wanting to do that very often.

If it werent for the Tee Room in Dunning Id not have bothered but its a great audax stop off - audax portions, quick service and a friendly welcome even for sweaty cyclists - an “in and out” via Auchterarder might be a more sensible and less hilly option

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #652 on: 12 October, 2020, 09:09:58 pm »
A 200 today from home to Ballingry - Muckhart - Dunning - Crieff - Comrie - Dunblane - Edinburgh.  Lumpier than Id normally choose for an Autumn 200 but I wanted to catch rural Perthshires Autumn colours.  It was a bit cloudy so that never happened!

How tricky is it to get across the A9 at Findo Gask? I've never tried it but there's roads around there to bag including an old bit of A9 that is normally clear.

It was reasonably safe, just a little worse than crossing the A90 dual carriageway around Edzell or Laurencekirk as sight lines as more limited. one to approach with a “proceed with caution” though Id probably not use it for a 50-100 person calendar event mind.   

However thats crossing it going north, doing the same route t’other way as myself and The Braw Stoker did a few weeks ago on the tandem is another kettle of fish due to the left hand curve in the road.  In that scenario visbility is poor (trees obscure a long view) and you are crossing three lanes - the slip road plus two lanes of 70mph traffic the fastest of which you cross last.  Im not sure Id be wanting to do that very often.

If it werent for the Tee Room in Dunning Id not have bothered but its a great audax stop off - audax portions, quick service and a friendly welcome even for sweaty cyclists - an “in and out” via Auchterarder might be a more sensible and less hilly option

Ta,
aye, I'd not be sending a huge whack of people on any flat crossing* it's just a handy route onto the Strathearn roads for my road/tile bagging.
The 3 grade separated routes from Dunning into Auchterarder do nicely and it's well placed for a 2nd breakfast, I also discovered last time I was there that the smell of bakery at 7am comes not from the  Co-Op but a small bakery just down the hill; a mistake I won't be making again in a hurry!

* Annoyingly that rules out Sheriffmuir.

« Reply #653 on: 13 October, 2020, 09:40:49 pm »
Open Street Map reckons there’s a farm track (on the right coming from Dunning) that runs alongside the A9 from just before where you would cross it, ducks under the dual carriageway at the bridge over the Earn, then joins up to the old A9 just before that crosses the river on the 1930s bridge. Google aerial photos make it look like it’s probably muddy at this time of year but fine in the summer.

It’s on my “to be explored” list, along with the underpass 2/3 of the way up Cairnie Brae.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #654 on: 13 October, 2020, 10:01:19 pm »
hm, looks MTB territory in Bing aerial and doesn't appear on the OS at all.

Old Cairnie Brae; it's a long time since I hurtled up that in a car on the section from Dalreoch bridge, as I remember it there was usually a blockage just before the house that's occupied up there (Cairnie cottage), suggesting that the field access just down from it was where we turned the cars for the return.  There is no evidence of the blockage on the Aerial photo so it may have been created for the purpose of the test.  There is a change of ownership at that point and the gask side was happy for it to be used, the other wasn't so it could only be run as an out and back, watched the last car (A series 1 military landrover) having it's clutch welded solid while waiting such was the delay.

The tar was still good then but when I think about it that was 2000ish!

« Reply #655 on: 14 October, 2020, 06:15:49 pm »
Given how prone to bursting its banks the Earn is, yes I would imagine it might be a bit muddy- unless it’s been paved or made up with hardcore for maintenance access to the underside of the bridge?

Turns out it’s a core path though- as is the route via the underpass higher up the hill, and the section of old A9 between the two:

https://www.pkc.gov.uk/media/10981/Core-path-plan-map-57-Aberuthven-and-Dunning/pdf/CPPmap57revKincladie.pdf?m=636102203205770000

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #656 on: 14 October, 2020, 06:36:47 pm »
Ah excellent,

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #657 on: 17 October, 2020, 02:26:37 am »
I'm planning to head out at 6am, can't bloody sleep though.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #658 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:49:53 pm »
Hopefully my so far pointless season just got off the starting blocks (and will go no further) with a DIY from Greenwich to Dymchurch in Kent, and back to Otford which neatly makes up the distance and avoids the less than pleasant ride back over the north downs in the traffic. When I first got on the train my bike and I had a whole 4 carriages of an 8 car Thameslink train to ourselves! A few extra now, maybe 6 of us sharing the space.

« Reply #659 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:56:15 pm »
I'm planning to head out at 6am, can't bloody sleep though.

Presumably not another attempt at your 600?

« Reply #660 on: 17 October, 2020, 08:50:31 pm »
Restarted DIY-ing after the lockdown induced shoulder issues of this spring.
The 2nd lockdown overhere resulted in very quiet roads for a late finish of a DIY 200 to Sankt Tönis. Since my grandfather grew up in the Viersen area I've probably ridden over a few roads he cycled on about 100 years ago.

« Reply #661 on: 19 October, 2020, 09:34:47 am »
Yesterday, An out and back with Roberto, using his "get it done route" https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=117129.0 An early start to catch the first ferry over the water and on to nice smooth rolling roads down to Lochgilphead and back.

Grey and cold all day and I suffered in the early part with cramp in the thighs again, especially on the long draggy uphill bits. Recently fitted a cadence sensor and got an av of 75RPM so will need to try and get it higher I think. Felt a bit better after the turn so made good time back, Heavy drizzle from Inverary back to the ferry was the only low point in the day. It does make a good get it done route due to the good quality of the roads and no navigation, very little climbing too which suits me fine.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/57854243
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #662 on: 19 October, 2020, 11:44:15 am »
Recently fitted a cadence sensor and got an av of 75RPM so will need to try and get it higher I think.

There are differing opinions on that..

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a26305270/high-cadence-cycling-not-increase-speed/

« Reply #663 on: 19 October, 2020, 11:48:44 am »
Recently fitted a cadence sensor and got an av of 75RPM so will need to try and get it higher I think.

There are differing opinions on that..

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a26305270/high-cadence-cycling-not-increase-speed/

Yes but I'm not interested in the speed just trying to use my legs a bit better, I always think I'm pushing to hard a gear and end up sore and suffer badly from cramp in the legs.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #664 on: 25 October, 2020, 09:09:30 am »
Yesterday, a DIY 400, accompanying HK round her DIY 300 to Cambridge and back with an added early morning 100km loop to Reading. The 300 loop was based on a defunct compulsory route brevet but without enough updating for advisory routing and increases in traffic. Day started nicely but the rain kept intensifying through the afternoon till past midnight and the headwind for the near-200km to the finish didn't ease up at night. There were a number of flooded roads after sunset, some with passing vehicles providing an all-over body wash.

Frankly I don't know why I am bothering to work so hard to finish a crappy local 400 perm. For a foreign brevet or a 1200, it is worth putting in some real effort to finish but something meaningless like this doesn't actually bring a lot of joy. Pretty much any fun was over by midway and it was just a slog to the end capped off with two separate punctures in rain and darkness. The first with 40km to go and the last just after midnight and only 5km from home.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #665 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:08:23 am »
A DIY 200 up into Northamptonshire from Hertfordshire yesterday.  A lot of new road further north in my route.  Lots of lovely lanes and almost lockdown levels of traffic. Very very quiet with no cars for long periods. The A428 to Northampton was closed. So had it to myself before once more off into the lanes. Nothing I’d change about my route really enjoyed it.  Could have down without the wind returning south. At least on the recumbent it is not so bad. Plus got home well before sunset and really heavy rain arrived. Total stopped of 45 mins.  Pleased with that as I’m trying low intensity and minimal stopping which seems to be working well for me.  Felt great at end, no aches and no appetite issues.

« Reply #666 on: 25 October, 2020, 10:07:50 pm »
200km DiY.  Route submitted, using Ride with GPS, just over 201km but ride came it @ 200.1km, Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.  Need to plan for rides with a bit more leaway.

bairn again

« Reply #667 on: 07 November, 2020, 01:19:38 pm »
I set off at 0700 on a DIY200, but zero visibility fog curtailed proceedings at the 65km mark.  Was going nicely too on my winter bike but it was a no brainer on safety grounds.

« Reply #668 on: 08 November, 2020, 08:40:15 am »
A tough day out yesterday, DIY 200K from home. Heavy fog from the off but set out in the hope that the forecast was correct that it would lift later on, (wrong again) met my riding buddy in the mecca of Coatbridge shopping precinct and off eastwards through some shite towns.

A breakfast stop in Tesco SQF let us get out of the cold fog for a bit and warm up slightly before heading north over the FRB and up to Kintillo via Kinross for the midway point. Now heading SW with a slight tailwind there was now the long drag all the way up to Gleneagles but we broke this up by finding the very good cafe in Dunning at the golf course for some more warm food and a nice chat with the ladies who ran it.

Still cold but we pressed on for Doune where we saw the only bit of low winter sun of the day for a brief spell before the fog returned. We were now heading  for the last 40k or so but there was 2 long climbs in that so took it easy due the fog going up to Kippen and the TOTW then a cold freezing descent to Fintry before climbing over the Crow road and another freezing descent down the other side.

A hard finish to the ride but an enjoyable day out and a big chapeau to my riding partner Neil who got round despite being off the bike with a bad back for 4 or 5 weeks !

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/58737161

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #669 on: 08 November, 2020, 10:03:49 am »
Boudicca's Revenge 200km yesterday. Misty start and the airport perimeter route outbound for a change, which took in the Bamber's Green Scarecrow Festival: https://www.bishopsstortfordindependent.co.uk/news/how-community-spirit-in-lockdown-gave-rise-to-village-scarecrow-festival-9128420/

Light winds and noticeably less traffic, plus lots of cyclists out and not just 'club' riders - families, old boys on rusty wrecks etc, as per last spring. Saw dod on the winding-and-subsiding fen road to Chatteris - only realised in retrospect after a pm on here! Three shop stops (Potton and Chatteris, plus a quick drink from Saffron Walden Tesco Express) and a coffee takeaway from the A14 services. Judging by the folks walking along the cyclepath from nearby Swavesey, it looks like Cambridge A14 services are the go-to destination for a lockdown family treat ... Did the full-fat final section with no 'hill-dodgers long-cuts': the very choppy saw-toothed section from Chrishall Grange to Thaxted has 248 metres of climbing in 24.7km, the Cam valley route about half the ascent for an extra 5km or so. I'll save the wimpy route for a cold, dark, wet and headwindy day in winter!

Wildlife highlight: five Red Kites perched in a couple of trees in Roe Green, right by the road. More than I've seen together this far east.

Just about done in daylight, though the 'blue hour' was pretty deep by the time I finished.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #670 on: 08 November, 2020, 10:35:45 am »
200km DIY yesterday.  Decided to loop back to home to avoid the need to stop for water and supplies. First 100km was a foggy loop into Wiltshire from Bristol, cycle path to Bath, through the two tunnels and up the hill to Hinton Charterhouse. Familiar lanes to Westbury and then took the B road that skirts the edge of Salisbury plain before heading west and back to Bath with the sun breaking through and a return to Bristol via the cycle path. 
Beans on toast, 2 fried eggs and 2 mugs of tea before setting off for the second half, heading north through the Severn Vale, crossing the M5 and lovely lanes to Uley and Dursley before picking up a section of the Jack and Grace route on the way back to Bristol. 
It's slightly odd coming home at 100km, I've done it a couple of times on longer rides but never a 200km. I could feel myself getting a bit too comfortable at one point, on a bad weather day I'm sure it would be hard to get going again. The other thing is that normally with a 200 you feel like you've been somewhere but using this approach I only ever got about 50km from home and it all felt very local. On the plus side it was a cheap day out ... no cafe bills!
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/58721696

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #671 on: 08 November, 2020, 04:27:32 pm »
SeaShore bare bones 200 mandatory DIY yesterday; balmy weather and a slight tailwind all through Brighton where they apparently still haven't heard of Covid but very quiet everywhere else. Lots of cyclists walkers and even river kayakers out!

A few fireworks in peoples' gardens was nice but no substitute for the usual grand show on Upper Thames

« Reply #672 on: 08 November, 2020, 06:33:00 pm »
3am start for a figure of eight 200km DIY today. Warm start but plenty of mist and some light rain. Passed a police car before 4am and wondered if the driver would be interested in a cyclist out that early, but they drove the other way. Memories of the 2014 January Sale and 2015 PBP around 80km in when my left foot started pulsing, followed by the hollowtech 2 crank coming off the axle, and dangling from the pedal still attached to my shoe. Stopped three times, each time with better results at kicking and stoning the crank back on, then tightening the offending bolts. Left foot soft pedalling became the routine until I arrived home for breakfast after around 115km. The bolts were tightened with a much longer allen  key before the second loop. Less than 10km into that, my rear tyre went flat, due to a thorn/piece of hedge the length of my thumbnail. It took a while to push it out the way it came in. Plenty of cyclists went by, the majority asking if I needed help. I worked it out 😁 and there were no more puncture fairy visits. The crank had stayed in place, so I’ll leave it alone until the bb wears out (like after PBP).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

bairn again

« Reply #673 on: 08 November, 2020, 07:31:25 pm »
Now heading SW with a slight tailwind there was now the long drag all the way up to Gleneagles but we broke this up by finding the very good cafe in Dunning at the golf course for some more warm food and a nice chat with the ladies who ran it.

Nice one lads.  The Tee Room in Dunning is my favourite audax cafe at the moment.  In fact my aborted 200 on Saturday would have featured it as my half way point of my very simple out and back 200. 

The fog cleared briefly to reveal Bo'ness and all its charms, but settled again by The Kelpies.  By the time I got to Fallin and Stirling it was a genuine pea souper.  I clearly picked the wrong day to be riding up and down the Forth estuary!  I headed home on the north side by Alloa Culross and the bridge for 120km. 

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #674 on: 08 November, 2020, 08:12:55 pm »
Not the Brace of Bramleys 200.  I paid for some virtual brevets but never heard back from the DIY organiser so I just rode the route  inna slightly anarchic way.