Author Topic: Upgrade from Pentax K100D to?  (Read 2373 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Upgrade from Pentax K100D to?
« on: 24 September, 2016, 07:38:36 am »
I'm thinking of upgrading my old Pentax k100d DSLR.

I don't have a massive range of lenses, the most expensive being a sigma 10-20 f4-5.6.
My other lenses are zenitar 16mm f2.8 fisheye (fun lens from Russia),
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD
Pentax 18-55mm kit lens

So not a massive investment.
I had thought about upgrading to something like a Pentax K50, but perhaps a better move would be to jump ship to a more standard camera such as Canon or Nikon.  I do like how my canon sx40hs feels in my hand.

What puts me off upgrading to another Pentax is availability of lenses.
Having said that I can't see me buying any special lenses such as 300 f2.8.

I'd have to say I'm an amateur, mainly interested in landscapes/ panoramas, so whatever camera I go for I'd definitely invest in a fish eye lens/ wide angle. The samyang 8mm looks interesting, but not readily available for Pentax.

So, any thoughts?

???

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Upgrade from Pentax K100D to?
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2016, 01:45:40 pm »
Have you considered mirrorless? The new Lumix G80 looks rather nice.
The Micro 4/3 system has a decent range of lenses. And you can get adapters for other lens mounts, including Pentax. Though the crop factor would make it trickier to get a really wide angle.

BrianI

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2016, 02:02:46 pm »
I prefer optical viewfinders in a DSLR rather than mirror less with evf.

I'm thinking I'd get a decent camera with the Pentax k50 as it is weather sealed. Are any canon/ Nikon cameras as a similar price bracket weather sealed? Also the in body image stabilisation means that all lenses are stabilised.

Hmmm.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2016, 02:07:34 pm »
Have you tried a modern EVF? They are very good, often better than an optical viewfinder.

The Lumix G80 has in body image stabilisation, and weather sealing.

BrianI

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2016, 02:48:53 pm »
OK, so it seems the Samyang 8mm F3.5 is available in pentax K mount. I'm not convinced jumping ship to say Nikon / Canon would make for better photos, so perhaps upgrading to a newer pentax would be the best move. I don't really want the hassle of selling lenses etc on ebay, only to buy the same lenses again in a different mount... 

« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2016, 05:41:44 pm »
Samyang are available in Pentax K.

Budget will be key, but the K1 is super duper, the K3ii also excellent and they all see like good bodies.

If you want to jump ship and away from (D)slr then you could consider the fuji xpro 2 or 1. Optical finder or evf and nice to use.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2016, 12:11:58 am »
I've been very happy with a K30 as an upgrade from a K110D (which I kept as a spare, just in case).

« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2016, 08:52:55 am »
Brian, I am in a similar position, having a K100D that is now almost 10 years old. However I also have / will inherit a number of older K mount lenses that my father has for his MEsuper. These include Pentax 50mm F1.8 SMC, and Tamron 90mm F2.8 primes. I will watch this thread with interest as I could easily be tempted by a full frame CCD with K mount body to accept my current manual lenses.

Matthew

BrianI

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2016, 08:37:20 am »
Ive seen a few deals for a pentax k50 with 18-55 and 55-300 wr lenses for around £490. I think sticking with pentax will be yhe best move, as i feel that it offers more than enough canera for the money!

So perhaps an early birthday present from me to me in a couple of weeks time!

BrianI

« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2016, 09:32:07 am »
Or perhaps the ks2 which has 20mp & articulating screen....